technicalcat
technicalcat, Consultant
Experience:  20 years combined corporate and small business experience.
65369237

How do switch on wireless on my Acer Aspire

Customer Question

how do switch on wireless on my Acer Aspire
Category: Computer
Expert:  technicalcat replied 2 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. Please send me the complete model number of this laptop. you can find that on the label affixed to the bottom of the laptop.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the numbers on the back of my Acer aspire are Aspire E15 E5-571-589Q MFG date 2014/07/29
Thank you for the information. Most of these units have a wireless switch which will disable/enable the wireless at the hardware level. The link below describes the various switches , which are typically either sliding switches (sometimes hard to find), and function key combination presses that function as a switch. Check this out, and it may help you turn it on. If not, follow up with me on exactly what you found, and what happened when you try to engage the wireless. http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1304/~/enable-or-disable-wireless-networking
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I followed through to your link and then on to the Aspire manual and it seems that Fn and F3 are the enable and disable switch, unfortunately that did not work and I am left wondering if it may be a more serious problem, if there is no more you can do for me I thank you for your help. Regards ***** *****
OK, what you will want to do , to check into this further, is to open your DEVICE MANAGER in windows 8. Once you have the device manager window open, you can try the FN-F3 combination , and see if the device manager tree moves or anything happens. If not, you can also click to expand the network adapter section, and you should see your wired and wireless adapter in there (when enabled). Here is a video link to show you how to open the device manager.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUsjRgPvRP0 If you are ultimately not able to see anything or enable your wireless, you'll want to confirm your FN key combos are working for other functions. So, try some (for contrast, screen adjustements, etc.) and see if they work. If none of the other FN key combos work, then you may be missing a driver installation for those in Windows. If they do work, but just the wireless appears to do nothing, then you are probably looking at a wireless adapter failure. Although fairly rare, this can happen. However, you can work on getting a replacement for that. Please remember to rate my time and help before you leave. I continue to help for no additional fees after rating on this subject until you are satisfied, and rating is the only way I get credit for helping you. A positive rating is the best way to say "Thank You". :)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Since last talking to you I have had the windows 10 update and I have no idea why but the wireless connection has mysteriously re-appeared, again I thank you for your time and effort
Good to hear. It would appear your wireless was active all along, but the appropriate driver was missing. We would have gotten to the bottom of it sooner or later :) Thanks much for the positive rating. Please request me in any future technical questions you may have by typing FORCustomeras the first two words of any new questions. Thanks for using Just Answer! (Note: You do not have to reply to this message)