Byron
Byron, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  A+ MCSE with over 12 years experience.
13274453

What programmes are safe and reliable up a 5 yr

what programmes are safe and reliable for speeding up a 5 yr old Win 7 laptop?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.
Hi. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist. While there is no program that actually speeds up your computer there are some that can help to keep it running at it's designed speed. Malwarebytes is good for removing things that can slow your machine down but I also use another program called CCleaner, which you can get here:http://filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/Click the green "Download Latest Version" button in the upper right corner. (don't click any other Download buttons)CCleaner has several utilities but I only use the Registry tool which you will find on the vertical menu on the left side of the page when you open the program. This free program removes outdated and unused registry entries that can slow Windows down.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you - but I am not sure which the Registry tool is - is it Regedit right at the end of the list?

Do people have problems using the other parts of the programme? If so, what sort of problems pls?

Robin

Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.
Hi. When you open CCleaner this is what you should see (see attachment)You'll notice the Registry entry from the menu on the left is selectedIt sounds like you have the Cleaner tab (first one at the top of the menu on the left) selected.If the Cleaner tab is selected, and then the Applications tab to the right of that you canselect what you want cleaned. I only use it to clean up browser files. (Internet Explorer, Chrome and Firefox since I use them all)I haven't heard of CCleaner causing problems for others. It's a program that has been aroundfor over 10 years.The Tools options are for the most part are things that are already built in to Windows.
Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Have you had a chance to try CCleaner yet?Let me know the results please.