Jess M.
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Hardware & Software Specialist - 10yrs Exp, Web Designer & Developer
49766785

My Sony Vaio PC VGC V2S will not boot up. It is 11 years old.

My Sony Vaio PC VGC V2S will not boot up. It is 11 years old. Power on brings on the fan but the computer is otherwise blank.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.I am very sorry about your issues. I am afraid that this is a hardware issue already. Since the system still powers on, but there is no display on the monitor, it means that motherboard is not working. The normal operation is when you turn it on, the motherboard initializes all components, and when it successfully detects and initializes the video card, it beeps and then you see the boot POS on screen. So now I believe nothing is displayed on screen and you did not hear the beep.The very first thing that you need to check is lose cables. Please unplug the cables and those cables at the back of the computer unit like the VGA cables, then test if the system boots.If the problem continues, you need to open the computer unit and try removing and reinserting the memory sticks. Here are the steps: Shutdown the computer, unplug it and remove any peripheral devicesWait for the computer to cool down since when it is turned ON, the internals could be hotWith the main unit's back panel facing you, slide the back panel up so that you cannot go any further.As you slide the back panel up, a button appearsPush that button and then remove the back panelThen locate the memory stick there. You might need to remove the metal cover that covers the RAM sticksWhen you see the RAM sticks and they are accessible, gently and carefully eject themUsing a pencil eraser, please gently wide the metal pins of the RAM sticks to remove dust and corrosionAfter that, insert back the memory sticks to the slotsCover the computer and then test turning the PC on and see if it boots successfully this time.I hope that helped.Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated!If you need further assistance, please do not rate me negatively with 1 or 2 faces. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further.Thank you!Best regards,Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jess,
No difference after doing that. It still won't boot.
Ken
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ken,Thank you for writing back with that information.Now, please remove the RAM sticks and then try booting the computer without any RAM or memory stick.Is the system beeping?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Done so and yes it is beeping.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Ok. So it appears that the system is responding. How many memory sticks do you have there? Also, do you have an external video card installed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have two memory sticks and no external video card.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, please wipe the pins of the ram sticks with pencil eraser. Then after that, please check how many slots the motherboard has.Now if you have 4 slots, please insert the 2 ram sticks in slots 1 and 2. That is, RAM A to Slot 1 and RAM B in Slot 2. Then test.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I only have two slots,
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Oh ok. So you have 2 options only. Please do this. RAM A to Slot 1 and RAM B to Slot 2. Then test.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Both RAM cards are the same. Do you mean swap the position they were in?
I replaced the RAM cards in 2008. Originally there was only one RAM card.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, that is exactly what I meant. You swap the locations of the RAM cards. So you have 2 options or 2 swapping combination. Please test both.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tested both options...still nothing. I have the original RAM card the computer came with. Is it worth trying that one?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, please try that old RAMAlso, please try using 1 RAM at a time and testing each
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How about that it works with the old RAM card!!
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Wow! That sounds great! It simply means that the cause of the problem is a bad memory sticks! You can keep using that ikd RAM card and just purchase a new set of RAM then if you have time. That way, you shall have the PC working.Thanks,Jess
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Computer Hardware & Software Specialist - 10yrs Exp, Web Designer & Developer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your help Jess.Ken
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome, Ken! Thank you for your patience as well.Thank you for using our service. If you need assistance in the future, you can request me any time by posting a new question starting with "For Jess M" so that I can assist you immediately.Best regards,Jess