Michelle
Michelle, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  B.Sc. Computer Science with Honors
26798893

Richard, when I try to back up my computer

Customer Question

Hi Richard,
when I try to back up my computer I gat the following message
Task image is corrupt or has been tampered with (0x80041321)
Is this fault reparable?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help resolve the problem you have posted.Please tell me the operating system you have on the computer and what backup software are you using that comes up with error.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

windows 7, which I had to reload because windows 10 did not operate one of my drives. I am using Backup and Restore within windows system

Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.
Fix The Task Image Is Corrupt Or Has Been Tampered With Errors 0x80041321 is this the error you get please confirm.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes

Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.
Open the Windows Registry Editor. An easy way to do that is to press Windows-r to open the run box, type in regedit and hit enter. Navigate to the following key in the tree structure in the folder view on the left side.HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\TreeYou will see a list of scheduled tasks, more than what Autoruns displayed in its interface. The task that is causing the error message when opening the Task Scheduler should be listed as a folder underneath the Tree folder. My advise would be to backup the Registry key first before you start deleting it. Right-click the key that is causing the problems and select Export. The Registry Editor saves the key and all of its information in a Registry file on the system. A double-click on that file imports the information back to the Registry. Please note that you need the right permissions to import the Registry information into that structure.Once you have backed up the Registry key you can delete it by selecting it with the left mouse button and a tap on the delete key.Restart your Task Scheduler to see if that fixed the issue. If you do not get the The Task Image Is Corrupt Or Has Been Tampered With error anymore you have fixed the issue. If it still appears double-check the Registry again to see if the key has really been deleted.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

When I get to \Tree i see a list of programme files and one called CreateProcessTask. I am now lost

Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.
you have to remove the registry key which i gave from the windows registry, if you are unable to find the key let me know i can send you a remote support offer and then i can fix it right in front of you while you watch.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Michelle, I think we had better go for the remote support option.

Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.
let me know when you would be online i will give you a remote link.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

From the time stamp EST on your mail I assume you are in the US. I am in the UK and so we have a time difference of 5 possibly 6 hours. At present it is 00:16 hrs BST on Saturday 19 September. If you are on line at present great. If not I will stay on line for another hour and after that we will have to make anther arrangement. If I don't hear from in the next hour I will check for a message at 09:00hrs BST.

Graham

Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.
I am online and will be online the entire day let me know when we can get started.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Michelle

I am here graham

Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.
please let me know what time you would like me to work on the issue
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

As soon as possible please

Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.
sure give me 5 mins and i will be ready to get started
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok

Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.
I dont know what happend but i just gor your message please let me know when we can get this going.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Received

Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.
can we start a remote session now?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes

Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.
http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=b9412f82-facf-40c5-85dc-bab7089ad7e8
Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.
Join Your Remote Desktop SessionHow Remote Desktop WorksAgree to the Remote Desktop Legal Disclaimer below.The Remote Desktop client file will automatically download to your computer.Open the Remote Desktop client file on your computer and you will be connected to a session with your Expert.After agreeing to the Remote Desktop Legal Disclaimer, you can always download the client again if need be.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Agreed

Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.
Try to run Elsinore remote software we will be connected i am connected to the remote server and ready howver waiting for you to join.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

How do i run Elsinore?

Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.
when you clicked on the link it will ask you to download elsinore once done double click on it to run
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Which link? When I click on the word Elsinore in your message nothing happens

Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.
click here to run remote link
Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.
Connected now
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

my system has rebooted and says it is restored to 30/8/15. do you want me to reactivate Elsinore?

Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.
successfully restored?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have only tried to talk to you doyou wish me to replace the external drive and attempt back now?

Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.
now you may connect the external drive and run the backup program now.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Michelle I am getting corrupt or tampered with again together with code

(0x80041321)

Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.
please let me know the full error message and code.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Message reads: The task image is corrupt or has been tampered with.(0x80041321).

Additionally that BackUpDutylite file is still in evidence

Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.
Please run the elsinore again.
Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.
Customer Hi Customer This is Michelle Customer i am connected now
Guest: seems ok here too Customer is this the computer that has the problem
Guest: yes Customer i will take the mouse control now
Guest: OK Customer if you have any question use the mouse to tyepe your message on the remote chat box Customer i will be restarting the computer now Customer all you have to do is sign in to windows and i will be conencted back.
Guest: ok Customer Hi Customer I am connected back
Guest: i have youon screen Customer yes Customer you want to say something about the deteled reg key? Customer i mean deleted Customer dont worry the key will be repaired and imported back
Guest: yes that file appeared on the machine after my initial backup failure. I dont Know from where Customer what is the name of the backup software you are using
Guest: backup and restore access is via control panel short cut Customer give me few mins i am working on my side
Guest: alright Customer since when did the error started popping up Customer ?
Guest: after windows 7 was reinstalled because a windows10 upgrade would not run my DVD driver Customer when was windows 7 restored back fromw windows 10
Guest: about two weeks ago Customer ok Customer thanks for the info Customer do you have any external hard drive connected to the computer now? Customer if yes please remove it.
Guest: yes i back up to a seperate hard drive will unplug it Customer unplug it please Customer thanks
Guest: have you detected it is unplugged? Customer i am runing system restore. Customer the key is corrupted and is not getting imported back Customer i am connected
Guest: great! Customer sir you there Customer i have made the necessary changes now it should work all we have to do is restart the computer and then you try to run the backup program. Customer try to run a formatted hard drive if you have a backup on a second drive
Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.
Guest: yes im here no i dont hav back on a secon drive. just one on drive F: Customer if you format the external hard drive and start with a new backup will that be fine?
Guest: no ihave orther files on the drive. But I am prepared th lose them if necessary Customer try to run the backup now
Guest: ok Customer looks like working now
Guest: it is big smiles all round \graham Customer finally we nailed it. Customer This will take time to complete incase you find any problem feel free to reply me back.
Guest: alright
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Michelle back up successful a million thanks

Graham

Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.
you are welcomeThanks for choosing just answer