Wes
Wes, Consultant
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, 20+ years experience.
63083622

Since upgrading to Windows 10 I have lost all functions of

Customer Question

Since upgrading to Windows 10 I have lost all functions of the 'Start' button by associated with clicking the left mouse button. I have also lost 'Edge' functions. Please advise how to get these functions back.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Wes replied 1 year ago.
Can you explain what you mean by you've lost all functions of the start button? Do you mean that when you click on the start button nothing happens? Are you able to left-click on any other icons, clock, anything else and have it operate normally?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When I click with the usual left mouse button nothing happens.

When I click with the right button I get a list of functions different to what I expect from the 'Start Button'.

Expert:  Wes replied 1 year ago.
if you hit the windows key on the keyboard does the start menu open? ... can you also tell me what the make and model of your computer is?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have not tried the windows key before. When I click it now i.e. whilst on this page, nothing happens.

The computer was built for me by my son and worked fine on Windows 7.

Expert:  Wes replied 1 year ago.
So you are using the computer with the problem to communicate with me? Also, can you tell me the make and model of the computer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I am using the computer with the problem to communicate with you.

This computer was built for me by my son not bought from any one supplier.

Expert:  Wes replied 1 year ago.
Okay sorry about the repeat question. Would you be willing to do a remote-assistance session so I can check some things on the computer? One possibility is that the mouse may have a problem. Another is that somehow an accessibility option or setting change may have changed the effect the left mouse button is supposed to perform.
Expert:  Wes replied 1 year ago.
Investigating those will go much more quickly via remote.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, try the remote option.

Expert:  Wes replied 1 year ago.
Alright, if your left-click isn't working you may have to get creative to get this link to work, meaning you may have to try right-clicking on it and selecting open in new tab or new window or something like that. You can also use the tab and arrow keys along with the space or enter to move through and click on or activate buttons inside of active windows. Alt-Tab can help you switch between open windows or programs. Please click on or activate the link below and follow the prompts.https://www.fastsupport.com/724861980
Expert:  Wes replied 1 year ago.
if you can't get it to click or activate, you can open a new web browser tab and type it into the address bar way at the top of the web browser (not into the search field).
Expert:  Wes replied 1 year ago.
Let me know what happened with the fixes we tried
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am back. There doesn't seem to be any change to the operation of the 'start' button. I still do not have 'Edge' either.

Expert:  Wes replied 1 year ago.
Did it go into safe mode?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes it did. I then rebooted it .

Expert:  Wes replied 1 year ago.
did the start menu work in safe mode?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes. but only by using the 'right' click on the mouse.

Expert:  Wes replied 1 year ago.
Okay, I think the only thing to do then is to do the reset/refresh of the windows installation
Expert:  Wes replied 1 year ago.
Before I try to delve into that with you, is your son available for support? Because if he isn't too far away, it may be easier for him to stop over and help you with it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately no. He lives in another town several miles away.

Are you still there?

Expert:  Wes replied 1 year ago.
Okay, let me put together some instructions on how to do the refresh and I'll get back to you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

O.K. Wes. I am going for my meal but will keep checking for your answer.

Expert:  Wes replied 1 year ago.
Ok take your time, we may need to do another remote if these instructions don't work. You'll need to right click on the start menu, then select control panel. In the upper right, you should see View By: Categories... change that to "small icons". Now look for "Recovery" and click on that. At the bottom of the window that comes up you will see blue highlighted text that will talk about resetting. Click on that. The recovery window should come up, click on the "get started button" read through and follow the prompts.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I got as far as 'At the bottom of the (recovery) window...

but there is no highlighted text ?

Expert:  Wes replied 1 year ago.
Under "Configure System restore", there should be a line in black, then a line of text that says "if you're having problems with your PC, go to Settings and try resetting it"
Expert:  Wes replied 1 year ago.
Click on the text in blue that says "If you're having problems"
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry. I have tried clicking on "If you are having problems" but nothing happens.

Expert:  Wes replied 1 year ago.
I was afraid of that, do you have time to do a remote again or do you need to go eat?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have the time. I will put my meal in the microwave .

Expert:  Wes replied 1 year ago.
https://www.fastsupport.com/231044045
Expert:  Wes replied 1 year ago.
Try clicking on the link again
Expert:  Wes replied 1 year ago.
otherwise try this session link: https://www.fastsupport.com/306088654
Expert:  Wes replied 1 year ago.
Something's blocking our connection... if you have any firewall or antivirus running you may need to disable it.
Expert:  Wes replied 1 year ago.
https://www.fastsupport.com/273961488
Expert:  Wes replied 1 year ago.
Okay, this is getting annoying. Alright, go back into the screen where you saw "if you are having problems". The second option is Start System restore. Click on that.
Expert:  Wes replied 1 year ago.
Now click on the circle next to choose a different restore point and hit next. On the next screen, check the box that says show more restore points. Try to find a restore point that has a date before you started having this issue, click on it, then click the next button and follow the instructions that follow.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't have a Restore Point dated before this problem started.

Expert:  Wes replied 1 year ago.
Okay, essentially where this is heading is a complete reload of windows... because it doesn't look like it liked the multiple upgrades. So, what I would do is start getting all of your important info off of that computer in preparation for that.
Expert:  Wes replied 1 year ago.
To do that you will need to put Windows 10 on a flash drive or DVD. You can get details on that here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have tried all you suggest but can not get access to the DVD drive or USB drives. I am out of ideas as to how to progress the problem. I have given up for today. I will try to contact you via this media tomorrow to see if you have any further ideas.

Expert:  Wes replied 1 year ago.
You will probably need to use a different computer to get these to download.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am in the process of downloading windows 10 to my lap top and burning it a disc. However I do not have access to my disc drive on the affected computer. Have you any suggestions?

Expert:  Wes replied 1 year ago.
You should be able to boot the disc without going into windows. you will need to activate the boot menu, which is usually F8, F10, or F12... it differs depending on the computer, but it may say during startup which key to hit. You can also get into the system's BIOS menu and set the cd drive as the first boot device. To get into bios you have to tap F2 or delete pretty close to when the computer first turns on.
Wes, Consultant
Experience: Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, 20+ years experience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Wes,

Having managed to burn a disc from the downloaded Windows 10 I have also managed to set the DVD drive, in BIOS, to be the first boot device and have now got a working system, all be it without some of the programs I had downloaded.

Thank you for your much appreciated help. I have 'rated' your assistance as requested.

Martin

Expert:  Wes replied 1 year ago.
Glad to hear it Martin, stop back anytime
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Wes,

I have a new problem. I can not access my cd/dvd drive now. Any ideas?

Expert:  Wes replied 1 year ago.
Hi Martin, do you believe this to be related to the original issue?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes. I had not tried to access the cd/dvd drive until yesterday and have not been able to find out why.

Expert:  Wes replied 1 year ago.
What was the make and model of this machine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The computer was built for me by my son from a variety of sources. It has worked without a problem up until I updated to windows 10.

Expert:  Wes replied 1 year ago.
Oh that's right. Assuming the drive didn't spontaneously fail (I assume it still opens and closes, drive spins when a disc inserted)... it must be a driver issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes the drive 'opens' and spins up to speed ok, but when I try to get info. from the drive it says that it is unavailable.

Expert:  Wes replied 1 year ago.
Does it do the same thing with any CD you put in it? Music, Data, video, etc...?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes.

Expert:  Wes replied 1 year ago.
Do you know how to get into device manager and uninstall/reinstall devices?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I hadn't tried that as I am weary of making the situation worse.

As the computer has a problem finding the drive, will it not fail to uninstall/reinstall?

Expert:  Wes replied 1 year ago.
Well, that's kinda the thing... and I can set up a remote with you if you like and poke around... but the first thing I'd be doing is going into device manager to first see if the drive is there, and if it is, remove it and reinstall it. If that doesn't fix it, I would be looking for the manufacturer, then going to their website to see if they have device drivers for the drive and installing them if they do. After that, I would be looking to see if there were available firmware updates for the drive... Anyway, you're free to try any/all of that on your own, or I can do a remote to look at it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. I will try the uninstall/reinstall tomorrow as I have to go out now.

I will call again tomorrow and tell you how I got on. I guess it will have to be the afternoon here so that you have arrived in to work for the day?

Expert:  Wes replied 1 year ago.
Okay let me know. My availability tomorrow will be spotty so I will try to respond as soon as I can.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That will be fine. Thanks.

Expert:  Wes replied 1 year ago.
Okay will talk to you then. (no response necessary).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have tried all I can think of. Every thing I try says that the driver is up to date and working correctly. Can you do a remote access and see if I have missed something before I start searching for a new cd/dvd drive.?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Expert:  Wes replied 1 year ago.
I can do a remote tomorrow around 3PM GMT
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Great. I will call you via this media at or about 1500 GMT.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am ready when you are for the remote access.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Iam ready when you are for the remote access.

Expert:  Wes replied 1 year ago.
okay I am hereplease click on the following link: https://www.fastsupport.com/137204427
Expert:  Wes replied 1 year ago.
try this link... there was something wrong with the last session: https://www.fastsupport.com/728885784
Expert:  Wes replied 1 year ago.
Hi Martin, I'm experiencing technical difficulties myself. I will try to reconnect with you in an hour or so. I'm not sure what else we can do however
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry Wes but I waited until 1800 local time for you to come back on the page we were using so did not see you answer here until a few moments ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Wes,

I am ready to try again if you are.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Are you there Wes? I have been waiting since 1430 Local time to set up the remote access again.