Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I have a Samsung All-in-One Desktop PC which was bought new

I have a Samsung All-in-One Desktop PC which was bought new with Windows 8 pre-installed which, since then has been "upgraded" to Windows 8.1 and then Windows 10.
I detest all three of these Windows OSs and want to install a purpose-bought copy of Windows 7 Home Premium.
Windows 10 is obstructing me from doing this and Microsoft are unable - or unwilling - to help.
Can you help me get rid of my current OS so I can install Windows 7 HP, please ?
My e-mail is xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Can you tell me please what exactly happens when you try to run the windows 7 installation please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I get a Warning Window that Formatting the Hard Drive will stop my PC working. Clicking on This PC/Drive C:/Manage/Format was also blocked.Prior to that step, I tried simply loading my unused Windows 7 Home Premium disc but I was told this was not possible as there was already an OS resident.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, it sounds like you are using a windows Upgrade disk and not a windows installation disk.
What does it exactly say on the disk?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My disc, which I bought as a precaution at the time I bought this PC in case Samsung's pre-installed Windows 8 was not suited to my needs, has never been used as I was trying, successively, the Windows 8.1 upgrade, then the pre-ordered, Windows 10.
The Windows 7 Home Premium is a Microsoft boxed set, dated 26.07.2013 SE758288, Origin: Ireland, it states on the Certificate of Authenticity. As far as I'm aware this is an Original Installation disc and isn't an Upgrade version. There are loads of other codes besides, needing a magnifying glass. Do you need any more of this ?
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, if it is an installation disk then put it in the computer
Start the computer and keep tapping any key until it loads the disk and runs the installation.
Tell me exactly what then happens please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Apologies, I was reading the box, not the disc itself. Below centre it reads Windows 7 Home Premium. Left of centre it says Includes Windows Anytime Upgrade - Do not lend or make illegal copies - DVD. Right of centre it says Includes Service Pack 1 - 64-bit software - copyright 2011 Microsoft - 6/11 X15-60499-03. That's all.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
if it is an installation disk then put it in the computer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have tried restarting twice but in spite of tapping steadily on a key during boot-up, it's reloaded the usual programmes and ignored the Disc in the DVD drive - which is still spinning but getting nowhere.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Start the computer and keep tapping F2 until you get to the BIOS.
Look for Boot Order and set the DVD drive as first.
Save this then try
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Dear ***** - I
have just spent an hour or so attempting to implement your
last Answer, to no avail.As expected, tapping F2 got me to the right place but
triggered a flurry of DOS messages telling me why it was
refusing to do what I asked.It's principal excuse - at this stage - is that it says the
undermentioned file is suspect as it has an invalid signature
or no signature:-
\$WINDOWS.~BT\Windows\System32\winload.efiIt then posed a series of options which, after I tried
them got me no nearer starting the Windows 7 installation
disc I had loaded in the DVD drive.I entertain the suspicion that, if I had got past the
rejection of the above file, it would find another one to
object to on the same grounds, and so on ad infinitum.
I have been down this route before with Microsoft.Hilarious, isn't it ? Microsoft finding fault with files
on one of their own OS installation discs. They must be
extremely determined to sabotage any attempts to revert to
earlier versions of Windows by fair means or foul !The sole option that worked - as you may have guessed -
was selecting Fast Boot and then Windows 10 when - Hey
Presto - I'm reunited with their beloved Windows 10. Not
a sniff of the Windows 7 HP installation disc.Just what Microsoft wants, I expect.Kind RegardsGrahamPS I am inclined to spare you and I further
frustration by taking the extreme route of ditching my
handy Samsung All-in-One desktop and buying a Barebones
PC upon which I can install my Windows 7 HP disc without
interference by the current management of Microsoft.
GJV