Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I have an ASUS desktop which I bought about two years ago.

Customer Question

I have an ASUS desktop which I bought about two years ago. At that time is was using Windows 8 but I upgraded to 8.1 for free.
Recently I tried to upgrade to Windows 10 and after about three hours everything froze when I had got to the point during final configuration when it was 95% complete so I had to go back to Windows 8.1. Suspecting a problem with Windows Defender ( which had not been very happy with updates in the past few months ) I happily took the option to delete it ( when I needed to free up some more disk space ) but the same thing occurred at the same point.
Grateful for any suggestions. By the way the sound does not come on until 30 minutes.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
As the first step, can you please do the following.
Press the windows key + X and click on Command Prompt (admin)
A black window will open.
Type in it
sfc /scannow
press enter and when it has completed, type in
chkdsk /r
Press enter.
It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.
chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.
Please note, while this normally only takes 10 minutes to run, it can take at times number of hours if windows encounters many issues. If this is occurring it is critical to let this complete as it means you have corruption on the hard drive that it needs to fix. Even if it looks like the scan is not progressing, it is, please just let it run to completion. Windows will then start when it has.
Then try to upgrade.
I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.
Else let me know the results please