Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I have a acer aspire 5332, the hhd failed so I have fitted

Customer Question

I have a acer aspire 5332, the hhd failed so I have fitted a new one and run the acer recovery discs that I prepared when the laptop was new 5 years ago. The 3 recovery discs have completed and windows states that 'setup is starting services' however it doesn't - after a while an error message appears saying 'windows could not complete the installation. To install windows on this computer, restart the installation' - so I have a couple of times with same result, it wont complete, - any ideas? Bob
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Can you start the computer and keep tapping the f8 button.
What then happens Bob?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes have done this and get advanced boot options page - safe mode is highlighted.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, choose Safe Mode
Does it then start?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no I am back to same as before - windows cannot complete intstal in safe mode
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, then choose Advance Boot Options, then last known good configuration
What then happens?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No - same result
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
It is the Sata port on the hard drive thats the issue, it was not the hard drive itself and it did not need to be replaced.
We know this as you have replaced the hard drive already, so it only leaves this.
I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to replace the motherboard as this is the issue.
I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is it realistic to replace the motherboard in a 5 year old laptop?
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
It is if you find one on Ebay second had (you will not get a new one)
I would not do it, but I would not have advised on the hard drive also, but as you purchased one, I was hesitant to have you replace the entire laptop.
But personally I would purchase a new Laptop. I was just providing an answer to you of what is required to get the Laptop running again.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Sorry for delayed reply.
After thinking about your answer I decided to take my ACER to local computer shop in our town, as they do second hand replacements anyway. They looked at it and managed to re install windows 7 (it had got stuck when I tried, and consequently called you) and confirmed that my hard drive did indeed need replacing, - cost £45. So now my laptop is fine.
On balance I am disappointed with your reply and really feel that I should be reimbursed the £21 that I paid for your advice.
(Which was wrong and could of cost me a new laptop)
Thanks in anticipation, Bob Paul
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
The instructions I gave you were exactly what the shop would have done to install windows, there was no way to past this otherwise. I am doing this more then 15 years.
I can only go of the assumption you were doing the instructions I told you, correctly, which is obviously not the case else we would have had a different outcome.
But regardless, you get a refund here
http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-can-i-request-refund