Freddy M.
Freddy M., IT Technician
Experience:  Years of experience.
15852642

One of my kindles is not charging(battery) when plugged in

Customer Question

One of my kindles is not charging(battery) when plugged in to the power socket.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
Even if it does not look like it is charging and even though it may be fully charged charge it using a different wall outlet than you normally do (a different room is best) for at least 10 minutes.
Do not skip that even if it is fully charged from you already plugging it in, it is important to do it.
It sounds like the firmware may be frozen try this and let me know the results hold the power switch for at least 60 seconds.
Try this at least 6 times.
The firmware can sometimes get frozen the same way that a computer will occasionally.
If this did not work please come back and let me know by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work please don’t forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This kindle is two years old and one that has the keypad at the bottom front and has the old slider switch and not the powere press switch the modern kindles have. I* hav held the slider pressed opem, to the right for 70 secs but nothing has happened. I live in a small apartment and the kindle is always in the same room.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you still there ?
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Did you switch outlets like I mentioned? As I said in my answer it is very important not to skip that. It helps reset the Kindle. A different room is best. Please also make sure to give me time to type replies.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do you mean by "switch outlets" Sorry for asking if you are still there.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Don't worry it happens a lot I just wanted to mention that if it seems like I am not replying I may still be typing. I mean a different wall outlet to connect your Kindle to. Switching to one (in a different room is best) can help reset if that is what's needed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes, it has been switched into two different outlets during it's two year life. (Have patience with me please I am 94 yrs of age)
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
No worries, if you are stuck or unsure about anything just let me know so I can explain. I actually meant switch it now while waiting the 10 minutes for the reset I sent you. If you wait 10 minutes with it connected to the same outlet it was before this may not work. Since you have more than one Kindle can you try the other charger as well? It is possible the charger itself has failed. If you did that how old is the Kindle? Over time the battery does eventually die and need to be replaced.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what is the life of these early 2013 kindles ?
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
No worries, if you are stuck or unsure about anything just let me know so I can explain. I actually meant switch it now while waiting the 10 minutes for the reset I sent you. If you wait 10 minutes with it connected to the same outlet it was before this may not work. Since you have more than one Kindle can you try the other charger as well? It is possible the charger itself has failed. If you did that how old is the Kindle? Over time the battery does eventually die and need to be replaced. I am not sure the normal Lifespan as they are newer devices so there is not set lifespan yet.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** the way. I will plug it in immediately with another charger.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Ok Tom, take all the time you need and let me know the results when you can.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is plugged in now but the charging light has not come on. Do you know what the life of a kindle battery is ?
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
That normally depends on use and if it is kept on a charger all the time or not. Leaving it on a charger actually kills the battery faster as they are meant to be drained then refilled. The light not coming on however is not a good sign and means it is most likely something else. Does the port feel loose? Wiggle the end connected to the port a little, if it is loose angling it can sometimes get it to charge. That would also however mean to fix it the port needs to be replaced.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Actually, this kindle has been used by my wife and not by me any. I think she may hace left it charging too long a few times because I have had occasion to reminder her that her kindle was fully charged. If the battery needs replacing can amazon do if for me. I do not mind having to pay, of course.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Overcharging should only be a problem if it is done constantly. I do not believe Amazon does that, they normally try to upsell a new one which due to labor costs is cheaper. But any local electronics or computer shop should be able to do this. The problem is the price of labor for this repair would be about the same as a new Kindle. Did you get the light to turn on? As I mentioned if it did not turn on, the battery is not the problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Freddie. I have already bought a new kindle for my wife but she is not very good with 'gadgets; and cannot manage it nor can she understand when UI try to instruct her. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
You can actually get the same model still here:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Amazon-Kindle-White-D00901-Keyboard-3G-4GB-Works-Great-10ft-USB-Cord-Bundle-/281801165770?hash=item419ca88bca
For some reason Amazon just does not sell them on their own site anymore.
If the port itself is loose and the light is not coming on a new port would need to be soldered onto the board.
A local electronics shop that does solder work will normally do this for an hour labor at the shop rate.
Not all shops do solder work and the rate varies from shop to shop, so you would need to call around.
You can replace it with one like the one I sent above and use the old one for parts if anything else fails as well.
The screen itself for example often eventually fails as well so it would be good to have a spare.
If you have any questions at all reply and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Kindle.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will indeed Freddie. You wil you will get an increase in salary
immediately.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if you need any help or If you have any questions at all about what I just sent reply and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Kindle.