Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

Installed a Samsung M3 1Tb Drive Manager no problem.

Customer Question

For last 2 months get onscreen message 'Contents changed abnormally'
Have run Seagate tools and everything working OK.
Can't get rid of message, it blocks site info and is driving me crazy.
Shouldn't happen on device only 3 months old should it?
Some 'geek' suggested a 'bad sector' but, although reasonably clued up IT wise I'm not a boffin just a retired teacher who's had enough!
Any help really appreciated.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
It is indeed an indication of bad sectors and we can confirm this.
For me to give the instructions, tell me which version of windows you are using and which drive letter it appears as eg: G:
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I was using Windows 8.1 when Drive installed.

Have just upgraded to Windows 10.

Problem existed before I did the update and still exists now.

Driver is F:

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks and thats correct, this problem is nothing to do with the computer but the drive.
Press the windows key + X and click on Command Prompt (admin)
A black window will open.
Type in it
chkdsk f: /r
Press enter
Let the scan and repair complete and when it has, tell me if you still have the issue please.
I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.
Else let me know the results please.
Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Morning Richard!

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner but got called away urgently. Have followed your instructions to the letter and there didn't seem to be any major problems to correct but... I've still got this pesky message taking centre stage on my screen - I even have difficulty trying to read your message.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help so far.

Maggie W

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Maggie,The drive has sector faults, it is not due to corruption but hardware faults on the plates of the drive.This confirms itI am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the drive to have it replaced and I would do this asap as it will suffer further failures until a point it does not work. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you. I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know. And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Many thanks to you Richard.

I suspected the Drive was at fault, will return it as you suggest.

Most impressed with your service, would use it again.

Best Wishes

Maggie W.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Your most welcome Maggie, looking forward to working with you again.