Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

Packardbell explorer app is not working

packardbell explorer app is not working
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
When you say explorer app, do you mean Internet Explorer or the File Explorer?
And whats the error you receive and the version of windows you have?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

windows 8.1 the Packard bell sign came up on the task bar when I opened it was told Packard bell explorer app is not working contact management administrator

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, apart from this error Susan, is everything actually working?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, can you then do the following please.
Press the windows Key + R
type in MSCONFIG and press enter.
Click on the Services Tab and click "Hide All Microsoft Services"
Then click Disable All
Click ok, restart and let me know if you still get the error please.
I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.
Else let me know the results please,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

not successful

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok.. can you give a little more information?Where you able to do the instructions?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes carried them out to the letter

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
When did the error first appear?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

today

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ThanksGo to the Windows 8 Start Screen and type restore point. When the search results appear click on the Settings category. Now click on the option labeled Create a restore point and you will be brought to the System Protection tab of the System Properties control panel. Click on the System Restore button and you will be presented with the main screen for System Restore. Now click on the Next button and you will be shown a list of available restore points that you can restore. Select the restore point you wish to restore by left-clicking on the entry once. Use a date when this was working, so from before today Then click on the Next button at the restore point selection screen. You will now be at a screen asking if you are sure you wish to perform the restore. Click on the Finish button. System Restore will once again ask if you are sure you wish to continue. If you are sure, please click on the Yes button. System Restore will now reboot your computer and begin the restore process. Please be patient as this can take quite some time.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Then tell me if you still get the error please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes I give up

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Ok, go to Start, Control Panel., Uninstall a ProgramClick on Packardbell explorer and click uninstall.Once done, restart and tell me if you still get the error please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry I didn,t get back to you something cropped up. Went into control panel to uninstall but could not find Packard bell explorer only packard bell games and Packard bell recovery management.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Press ALT + CTRL + Delete and click on task manager
Click on startup and uncheck every items listed there.
Then restart and tell me please if you still have the issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry no luck just an empty box where PB should be. Perhaps this is one for Packard Bell.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I do not understand your response Susan, how do you mean just an empty box where PB should be
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

On the task bar an empty box appeared after I had carried out you instructions. Where Packard Bell icon would be like a ghost.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok... where you able to uncheck all the startup items?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok and when you restarted you still had the error?If so, go to Start, Control Panel, User Accounts.Create a new user account.Save this and restart the computerThen sign in with this new user account and tell me if you still have the problem please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have user account in my name there is one for a guest . Do you want me to delete my account?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No, do not delete please, just create an additional account, restart and sign in with the new one please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

done that at last

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** you signed into the new account, did the message also pop up?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no but the new account does not have Packard Bell Explorer but PB user manual

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, problem is to install it you have to reinstall windows as its not released as a download, but provided with their installation of windows.
Do you wish to do this as its the only way to get it on this new account
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

what does it involve and what will it affect with reference to my personal files like photos and games and can I get rid of the new account?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes, you would hvae to backup all your files off the computer (programs you need to install again)
then we would reinstall windows, you would install your programs and copy the files back to the computer.
You can delete the account via control panel, user accounts (where you created it from)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

okay I have backups for photos but will have to download games again

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, so everything is backed up?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, do you have the disks with you that came with the computer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have a usb stick for factory settings

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, can you put this into the computer, and restart and keep tapping any key till it loads from the stick
Run the factory settings restoration, and once done the error will then be gone.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

All gone lots of new apps .Thankyou you have been very patient. Regards Susan

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome Susan, we got there in the end!
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.
Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry