John
John, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  I have been in the IT field for the past 8 years. I also worked as a system admin for a construction company for 3 years.
50152684

I have Windows 10 and a large blue square has appeared on the

I have Windows 10 and a large blue square has appeared on the screen which says - Critical Error - Start menu and Cortana aren"t working, Well try to fix it the next time you sign. I have signed in numerous times but the problem is still there. Can you assist.
Ron Holt
Category: Computer
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is***** will be assisting you today. I am sorry to hear that you are having such trouble. I will try my best to help you.
1.Sir this is has been a known issue for windows 10 and very few got fixed so we can try to fix it and if none of the fixes works then the only options is go back to previous windows operating system.
2.Which anti-virus is installed in the PC?
3.Did this PC came windows 10 pre-installed or did you upgrade it to windows 10 recently?
4.Let me know the make and model of the PC?

Sincerely,
John

Note: - Please keep this conversation/Chat page opened to view my replies quickly. You will also get an email notification in your email each time I reply. To reply back to me use the reply box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
John
Avast is the anti virus.
I upgraded to Window 10
The pc is HP Pavilion.
The problem in also affecting my e maIls, showing errors that is why I am having to reply on my I Pad.
I cannot return to my original Windows operating system because the start menu is not working.
Ron
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the details.
Most likely Avast is causing it so first we can try to remove it in safe mode and see if that fixes the issue.
Does this error shows after you login to windows 10 or before that?
Are able to boot till windows 10 login screen?

Sincerely,
John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cannot do anything with Avast the start menu is not available.
The error screen shows once I have gone through the windows password ***** takes longer than normal.
I am able to boot the Windows login screen
Ron
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
John
I also had AVG Anti virus on the PC which I have just deleted and everything seems to be working fine, hopefully for ever. Thanks for thou help.
Ron
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
I apologize for the delay i was preparing the instructions to how to boot in safe mode.Well its good to know that removing AVG anti-virus fixed the issue.Is the start menu working normal now like i said mostly this happen because of anti-viruses.Could you please restart the PC and check it couple of times to make sure.

Sincerely,
John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
John
I am afraid the matter is not resolved. I have just switched my Pc on and it is back to square one with the the blue error showing. Do you advise that I delete Avast and see what happens?
Ron
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Yes please uninstall Avast too and check it couple of times and let me know.I have to leave now for 30 to 45 minutes then i will be back so keep me posted and i will reply once i am backSincerely,John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
John
I have deleted Avast and switched the PC on and off a few times and everything seems in order, except I have no Internet protection, whoa do you recommend? Kasperski?
Ron
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Good to know sir but i want you to check it couple of times more and let me know after an hour so that we can make sure everything is back to normal.Kaspersky Internet Security is a good Choice.You can first try the latest version of Avast too if that is also causing the issue then remove it and then go for Kaspersky.Are you using Avast free version if so you can get the latest version from here https://www.avast.com/en-us/indexSincerely,John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

John

I checked in as advised by you and everything was OK, so I decided to download Avast from the web site as indicated in your last reply. This was done and then I switched the PC off and restarted it and the start menu would not work, although the Blue Square was not showing. I have now deleted Avast once again and everything seems to be working, do you advise that I go back to my original Windows 7, if so which is the best method of doing this. Thanks for your assistance.

Ron

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the update.
It seems like Avast latest build isn't good either.Windows 10 has a inbuilt anti-virus called Microsoft defender which isn't that good but OK so even if you remove Avast your system is protected by that.If you are a safe browser then i suggest you keep on using windows 10 with the Microsoft defender anti-virus.Please try the following to check windows 10 file integrity
Click on start then type CMD that show cmd in the list right on it and click on run as administrator that will open command prompt in that type sfc /scannow (there is a space between sfc and /scannow there is no space between / and scannow) Then press Enter. That will check the operating system file integrity.Once the scan is done see if it shows any message that errors found and fixed or cannot be fixed

If you are not comfortable using the PC with microsoft defender anti-virus then we can go back to windows 7 to do that i need to know the following
1.Let me know the full model of the PC like Pavilion DV 6784
2.When did you do upgrade to windows 10?
3.Do you have back up of the files you needed in a external hard drive?
Sincerely,
John

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi John

Thankyou for all your help, at the moment I will stick with windows 10, I got a message that Windows Defender had stopped Malware, so it could well be OK.

regards

Ron

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome sir.

Please rate me using the options just below this box or above this page, select the rating and click on submit, some bonus will be well appreciated.Have a Great God Blessed Day. If you need any help in the future please use this link to ask for me http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-john/

Sincerely,
John