Freddy M.
Freddy M., IT Technician
Experience:  Years of experience.
15852642

I downloaded windows 10. Afterwards the home screen went

Hi I downloaded windows 10. Afterwards the home screen went blank and I tried task manager to see if I could find a solution also I managed to buy a driver support which didn't solve anything
Category: Computer
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is***** do not rate until we are finished. I look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. Can you see the mouse pointer? Can you open the task manager? Did you have norton, mcafee, or anything like that installed in 7?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I can see the mouse pointer. I have free addition of avg 2015. I can open task manager to get the control panel.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
Do not go to the control panel.
Instead in the task manager click on more details.
You should now see a large list of processes.
In that list find AVG and Explorer.exe and end both of them.
Then click on file and new task, type in explorer.exe and click on ok.
It should re-load the desktop if this works.
If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating by clicking the stars/smileys - it is greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I am on a different computer. I did all the things you suggested could not find explorer in processes but an error message came on after putting it in task manager new task
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
What was the error? Did you make sure to end avg?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I ended all the processs in avg. The error message was for explorer the instruction memory could not be written ref memory 0X5B5125F6. The desk top came on then started flashing in and out with the error message and an instruction to turn it off
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
That normally occurs when an antivirus is causing problems with windows 10. You said you could open the control panel, can you completely uninstall avg, then restart and try the steps I gave you please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you I am on a learning curve here even though I'm over 70
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome, let me know the results when you can.
Windows 10 also has a built in antivirus so do not worry about avg being gone.
Microsoft bundled Microsoft security essentials antivirus into the windows 10 defender.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I cannot make explorer exe work. Do you think it might be any other anti virus there is one I downloaded rec by the bank called raport management which protects when doing banking on the internet
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
What model computer is this? I will look up compatibility with windows 10.
If you want to test that program the process to end would be called RapportMgmtService.exe
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The computer is a dell home computer inspiron N5050 32 bit operating system x64 based processor
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
OK that may be the cause Dell does not support (and hasn't tested) windows 10 on any of their models see here:
http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/inspiron-15-intel-n5050/drivers
So it could be incompatible hardware without any driver updates from dell.
I would suggest reverting back to the version of windows you had before until Dell actually starts testing their devices.
To do that go into Settings > Update & security > Reset this PC > Get started under your last version of windows.
Using the task manager you should be able to open it with new task using SystemSettings.exe
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
If new task wont let you open it that way use the browse option it shows and go to:
C:\Windows\ImmersiveControlPanel
SystemSettings.exe will be inside that folder.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did not back it up before I downloaded windows 10
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
If you upgraded through windows update windows would do it automatically so you can revert the way I just gave you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
nothing is happening after I clicked on systemsettings. exe
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
That is not good a settings app should open.
If that does not open either you would need to call Dell at 0***-***-****
We could do a factory recovery but you would lose everything you have saved on the machine as it would go back to the way it was when you bought it.
Instead I suggest calling Dell in case they have a work around for this issue on their machines.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We have learned something today thank you have a nice day wherever you are
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome and I wish I could have given you better news. If you have any questions at all reply and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating by clicking the stars/smileys for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Dell.