technicalcat
technicalcat, Consultant
Experience:  20 years combined corporate and small business experience.
65369237

Downloaded W10 from original W7 - all well apart from admin

Customer Question

Downloaded W10 from original W7 - all well apart from admin password ***** needed - and I never had one with W7 - admin password ***** to be attached to second log in user, which I never used in W7 and I cannot log in to second user for normal use either. now getting to the point that I need the admin password ***** can you advise how I find it - I am not very techy !!
Category: Computer
Expert:  technicalcat replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. What is the NAME of the user you are unable to login with?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The log in is for 'geraldine' as opposed to the one I use which is 'simon'.
- on windows 7 the 'geraldine' was never used - but it would open up without a password. Now it requests a password ***** I do not have and cannot therefore open it.
- on windows 7 the 'simon' was the one used, and then it did not need a login password ***** I had set it up like that - on downloading windows 10 I had to set up a login password ***** 'simon' which works.
- the request for 'admin password' opens in a window for 'geraldine' each time when I want to change something that needs more access - and of course that is the password ***** I do not have, never having had one before for windows 7 (as far as I can remember having never then having to use it!).
Thanks - I look forward to hearing from you again - Simon.
It sounds like you are describing a situation where your admin account has somehow been set with a password ***** you do not know, and you only have access to a limited account (simon). On a home computer , it's unlikely for this to happen. Assuming you own this computer, and it's not part of a business network, or owned by a company or anyone else, you should be able to fix this problem. You will need to create (or purchase) a Windows 10 DVD. If you want to create the disk, the image can be downloaded free from Microsoft. You can then burn it with DVD-R media and any computer that has a DVD-R drive (most full size laptops and desktops have these drives nowadays). Here is a link to that, and instructions. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 After you have acquired the Windows 10 DVD, then follow the instructions at the link below to remove/reset the password ***** your Geraldine account. Once you have done this, you can then change the accounts and passwords by logging in with your geraldine admin account, and going to the control panel, and then to user accounts. http://www.chntpw.com/reset-forgotten-windows-10-password/ Please remember to rate my time and help before you leave. I strive for excellent service, and continue to help even after rating on this issue until you are satisfied. Thank You.
technicalcat, Consultant
Experience: 20 years combined corporate and small business experience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks - I will give this a try once I have a moment to do so - I expect I will be back to you later as I am not very good at dealing with this sort of thing! Simon.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your instructions - I have a DVD-R and have a DVD burner on my laptop. I have formatted a new disc and then followed your link to make a Windows 10 DVD. My computer will not allow me to go any further because it needs authority from the admin password ***** once again - to proceed with this action!! This of course is what I am trying to find!! Please let me know what to do now to make a Windows 10 DVD. Thanks - Simon.
Yes, sorry I didn't make that clear. You will likely need to make this DVD on another computer for which you have admin access. Alternatively, you may be able to purchase the DVD, but making one will certainly be lower cost. I would recommend to find a friend, neighbor, or anyone who has a computer with an internet connection, and DVD burner you can borrow.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still trying to catch a neighbour in to ask if they can make a disc of Windows 10 for me - will let you know when I have it and have attempted the further instructions. Thanks - Simon.
No problem. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I now have at long last a windows 10 downloaded on a USB device - it all seems to be there - but I don't know how to proceed - the instructions state 'boot the computer' with the device in place - how do I do that ? Nothing seems to happen when I place the USB in the slot - but there is definitely data there shown in a window that opens up - can you help me further now please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have heard no more from you for a while - I am having difficulty still with the W10 admin password ***** - I have found how to boot the computer as instructed - but it does not seem to do what is shown on the instructions for resetting the password ***** can you let me know how to proceed please, when you have a moment? Thanks - Simon .
Hi, Sorry about the delay. I have been away for awhile. I notice you said you downloaded to a "USB device". This won't work. You need to burn a Windows 10 DVD, as previously instructed. After that, follow the instructions, which involve booting from the DVD, to reset your passwords.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK I will now try and get a DVD burned - as I asked for originally, but daughter said she had not got one !! I will now provide her with a blank and get her to do it as I asked originally. Thanks - I will let you know how I get on! Simon.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I now have a W10 disc. I still need help! The disc has info on it (3,442,816 KB) and I have been trying to follow the procedure as laid out in your password ***** page. I am not getting anywhere with that, so I must be doing something wrong in the sequence? From a restart I press 'esc' until I get booted to a choice of F1 Syst info/F2 Syst diag/F9 Boot device options/F10 BIOS Set up/F11 Syst recovery. I choose F9 giving options of Notebook Hard Drive or Internal CD/DVD Rom Drive or F10 BIOS set up options. I choose Internal CD/DVD Rom Drive. The disc seems to run for a short time and then the computer goes into usual start up mode requesting my 'Simon' password ***** and then starts up as it has been doing before. No sign of any 'command prompt screens' etc. as described in your instructions. At which point should the disc be inserted into the drive? I have tried various different times in the process! Please let me know how to proceed in the correct way!! Thanks - Simon.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I wonder if you have had time to let me know how to proceed following my last comments sent to you? Would it be that the W10 disc appears to be in 'disc image file' form - I was just trying to see what was on it as it did not seem to be working - should it be in some other form? Look forward to hearing your comments on how to get this up and running! Thanks - Simon.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Simon! My name is***** looks like the Expert who you worked with is not available anymore, so I am willing to help you solve the password ***** The initial instructions you were given are correct; however, you can use a USB flash disk drive in case you don't have a blank DVD, or if burning to a DVD fails. The goal is to boot to the Windows 10 Setup so that you can reset the password ***** the Command Prompt. So, if you have already created a bootable USB flash disk drive, you need to restart the computer and access the Boot device options - the F9 key. You should see "USB disk" or another similar name. Select it and it should boot to Windows 10. Once you get to the Windows 10 Setup, you can launch the Command Prompt and make the necessary changes so that you can easily reset the password ***** any user account. The whole instructions on how to do that can be found here:https://4sysops.com/archives/reset-a-windows-10-password/
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
In case your USB disk drive won't boot to the Windows 10 Setup, you can try with the DVD instead. Here are the full instructions on how to create a Windows 10 disc (burn onto a blank DVD): First, go to this web page:https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 It describes how to create a Windows 10 installation media. At the bottom, you can download the Windows 10 media creation tool, either 32-bit or 64-bit. Download the one that matches the Windows version on your computer. Run the tool on your computer and you can choose between creating a bootable disc (ISO) or a bootable USB drive. Select the bootable disc (ISO). After that, Windows 10 installation files will start downloading. When done, you can burn the ISO (image) file onto a blank DVD. To do that, you can use a program named Free ISO Burner which you can download on this link: http://tinyurl.com/no2zumy It is free and doesn't require administrative privileges to use it, so you won't be prompted to enter the password. So, start FreeISO Burner and insert a blank DVD. Click Open and locate the ISO file you downloaded using the tool, and then click Burn. After you have burned the disc, eject it and re-insert it into your computer. Restart the computer and press the F9 key to access the Boot device options, and select CD/DVD drive (or another similar name) to boot from the DVD. The computer should then load the Windows 10 Setup. You can then follow the instructions described on the link I sent you. Here it is again: https://4sysops.com/archives/reset-a-windows-10-password/ If you encounter problems, I am here to help you further. Regards,IT Miro
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Hello again!
I am following up with you to see if my answer helped, or you still require assistance with this issue.
Let me know.
IT Miro
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks for your follow up - I am still waiting for my daughter to come and help with a fresh W10 disc to see if that does the job when I follow the instructions you have given me - she has to fit me in around work and a busy family etc. I will keep you informed. Thanks - Simon
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for letting me know that! I am here for further assistance. Regards,IT Miro
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK - I now have 2 windows 10 discs and another downloaded on a memory stick. None of them do what your instructions state will happen when I boot with the discs or memory stick in the computer. I follow the instructions of booting with f9 on a restart and get the two options - choose the 'internal CD/DVD' option - press enter - and after a bit of noise from the DVD drive, the computer starts up in the normal way- slightly slower than normal. No command prompt window comes us as shown in your example - and I can then go no further! The 'boot' does not seem to be recognising the DVD at all - although there is a certain amount of noise from the disc operating. I have checked that the DVD drive is working by putting in a film DVD which does open up and start playing. I went into the BIOS area and tried putting in a new admin password ***** but nothing seems to have happened - perhaps I should not have played around with that but I am getting a bit desperate! The computer needs several Microsoft updates that are outstanding - but I cannot do anything without the admin password! I need more help, please - look forward to your further instructions - thanks Simon.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Simon! It looks like there is a problem in booting from the Windows 10 disc or the Windows 10 memory stick. Once you select another boot device and Windows 10 media is inserted, you should see a black background with text "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD..."You then need to press any key on the keyboard (for example Enter) to start the Windows 10 setup. I am attaching two pictures of how it should look like. If you are certain that you have selected the "Internal CD/DVD option", but it still won't boot to the Windows 10 setup, I suggest testing a Windows 10 disc on another computer. It is possible that the disc hasn't been created properly. You can also try with the memory stick as well - make sure to select "USB device" or "USB HDD", or any other name to start booting from it. When you come to the Windows 10 setup, let me know and I will provide further instructions on how to access the Command Prompt and reset the password.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My daughter has been here most of the afternoon to download and burn another disc on her computer and then try and make my computer boot to the new disc. I now have 2 discs with Windows 10 and a USB stick. None of them will open to the command prompt window that you show me - how do I check that the discs are not correct - according to her they are correct and seem to have been downloaded and burned correctly. Am I doing a wrong sequence in the boot up? - I do a restart and boot with an F9 - the disc is already in the drive at this point - the options are shown, with 'internal CD/DVD' chosen - the command prompt windows shown by your examples do NOT come up and the computer then goes on to open up normally. How do I get it to recognise the 'boot' to the disc? If I try and do it with the USB stick the boot does not give me the option to choose this method ? The discs seem to have the data on them - and there is a certain amount of noise and activity from the drive as I boot up - but then, after longer than usual the computer goes on to open as normal - ignoring the disc. HELP again! Thanks Simon.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Check the two attached pictures to see what should happen when your computer detects and boots from a Windows 10 media. If your daughter has her own computer, I suggest testing both of the discs and the USB stick on her computer to see if they will boot properly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK - will try when she is next around - maybe next week sometime when I see her again. If they don't boot her computer then what do I do next? Thanks - Simon.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
If none of the discs will boot, it means they haven't been created properly. In that case, make sure to tell your daughter to follow my initial instruction (posted on 6 Nov 2015, 5:23 PM). Regards,IT Miro
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your latest reply - my daughter has just contacted me to say that she thinks she was not burning a correct bootable DVD? Is that likely to be the reason we are having trouble ? She will now try and do another using the correct method. I did not know that there was any difference - however lets see what happens when she gets another done. She should be able to do that in the next few days - I will let you know how it works! Thanks - Simon.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Simon! Yes, it is possible that she burned the discs incorrectly. That would explain why neither of the two discs worked. You can send her my instructions to be sure she will do it correctly now. Here they are again: First, go to this web page:https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 It describes how to create a Windows 10 installation media. At the bottom, you can download the Windows 10 media creation tool, either 32-bit or 64-bit. Download the one that matches the Windows version on your computer. Run the tool on your computer and you can choose between creating a bootable disc (ISO) or a bootable USB drive. Select the bootable disc (ISO). After that, Windows 10 installation files will start downloading. When done, you can burn the ISO (image) file onto a blank DVD. To do that, you can use a program named Free ISO Burner which you can download on this link: http://tinyurl.com/no2zumy It is free and doesn't require administrative privileges to use it, so you won't be prompted to enter the password. So, start FreeISO Burner and insert a blank DVD. Click Open and locate the ISO file you downloaded using the tool, and then click Burn.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dear IT Miro - thanks for all your help - we are nearly there now - the disc worked and I managed to follow most of the instructions. Just a few further bits of help needed, please. I now have access to Admin. without having to put in a password. I have now ended up with 3 local logins - the new one which I have managed to name 'Admin account' and does not need a password ***** the original one I used under 'Simon' which needs my local password ***** - and the third one 'Geraldine' which I never used before, as I had no password ***** it, but I have now been able to add a password ***** it giving access to it. Not sure how I now make my own account (Simon) the admin account - and change the password ***** something shorter or maybe not needed. I did get in a bit of a muddle towards the end of your instructions - and never got as far as the - ' net user /add ' - part and the - 'net localgroup administrators /add' - part. Nor did I understand where to enter 'wpeutil reboot' into the system - can you advise please. Should I be thinking about removing the new 'Admin account' logon? As you are aware I am not very good with all this - apart from the above questions I seem to have control of the system and have managed to get many of the updates up and running. Looking forward to your reply - thanks, Simon.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Hello again, Simon!
I am very glad the disc worked and that you were able to create that "Admin" account. You can now use that account to reset the password ***** your "Simon" account and to change its account type from standard user to administrator.
Here are the simplified instructions:
1. Log in to the "Admin" account
2. Move the mouse cursor over the Windows logo located in the bottom left corner and right-click it and select Command Prompt (Admin). Confirm when asked to continue.
3. When the Command Prompt window opens, type this command:
control userpasswords2
and press Enter. Make sure to type it exactly as shown here.
4. A new window will appear with a list of all user accounts created on your computer. Click on "Simon" and then click on Reset Password...
5. Type and then re-type a new password, and click OK. That action will reset the previous password ***** that you can use a new password
6. After that, click on "Simon" and then click on Properties, and then click on the Group Membership tab
7. Select Administrator and click OK and OK again to close the window and save the changes
8. You can now log out of your "Admin" account and use the newly set password ***** log in to the "Simon" account. It should have administrator privileges, so check if you can make the changes using your own account.
Let me know the results.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
User accounts screen comes up with the following -
User name - Group - - properties show ..........
geraldine HomeUsers; Users - no full name for this one. ***@******.*** HomeUsers - full name is********@******.*** HomeUsers - options of Standard Admin or other - other is selected.
homeGroupUsers$ HomeUsers - HomeGroupUser$ iis the full name too.
test HomeUsers - full name is***** of the 'geraldine.griffith@' email ones come up with 'simon' as user name and 'Simon Griffith' as full name, and the 2nd one shows user name as 'other'.
Only the 'homeGroupUsers$' and the 'geraldine' allow for a reset password ***** All the others do not come up with that highlighted.
More help please! Thanks - Simon.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Hello! It seems that your "Simon" account was switched from a local account to an on-line (Microsoft) account. When that happens, you cannot reset the password ***** I described since that is available only for local accounts. For on-line accounts, the password ***** ***** same as for your Microsoft account. Do you remember what you entered as a password ***** creating a Microsoft account?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks - yes I do have a microsoft account - and I have the password ***** but I had no idea it had anything to do with all this - I just thought it allowed me to play some of the games etc.and maybe keep me up to date with anything microsoft wanted to tell me about!
My local login password ***** my 'Simon Griffith' account is not the same as the microsoft account password! I am sure that I don't understand the difference between a microsoft account and my local login - and I am sure that I never intended to make it work with my 'Simon Griffith' local account. Look forward to hearing from you once again! Thanks - Simon.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Hello again! A Microsoft (on-line) account is mostly used when you have several Windows devices since you can easily synchronize the data and settings between them. When using a Microsoft account, your account comes in a form of an e-mail address and you need to type the password ***** that e-mail address when signing in to your Windows computer. That means if you forget the password ***** your Microsoft account, you won't be able to sign in to your computer at all! To reset the password, you need to go through the password ***** procedure available on this link:https://account.live.com/ResetPassword.aspx So, if you have only one Windows device and don't need the data and settings synchronization, then my suggestion is to use a local (off-line) account. In case you forget the password, you can easily reset it using another administrator account - the way I described earlier. When using a local account, Microsoft prompts you from time to time whether you want to switch to a Microsoft account instead. You probably did that without knowing that your local password *****'t be used any more, but instead, a Microsoft password ***** be used. For that reason, I suggest resetting the password ***** your Microsoft account. To do that, access this link:https://account.live.com/ResetPassword.aspx Select I forgot my password ***** click Next. Type your Microsoft account address, which is***@******.*** and then type the characters you see on the picture, and click Next. You will be presented with an option to receive a security code. That is used to prove you are the owner of that account, so that you can reset the password. Select the first option Email [email protected] and type the e-mail part that comes before @btinternet.com. In your case, it is geraldine.griffithAfter that, click on Send code. A security code will be sent to your registered e-mail address -***@******.***, so go there and check for a new e-mail from Microsoft. You can access your e-mail account on this link:https://www.bt.com/btmail Open it in another tab or window so that the Microsoft account verification page can still be open where you need to input the code. Once you have done that, you will be able to reset the password. After the password ***** restart your computer and use the new password ***** sign in to the "Simon Griffith" account. Make sure that your computer is connected to the Internet so that it can update the new password. Let me know how it went. Regards,IT Miro
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK - I now ONLY have access using my microsoft password ***** the 'Simon Griffith' account - choice of all the other names and login options have disappeared from the start screen - and I seem to be back at square 1 with no admin abilities! Have I done something wrong again? I want to set up with just a local account, as you suggest in your last reply, and with admin permission on that account - with the ability to set up another local account in case it should be needed. Thanks - Simon.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Hello! You can now switch from the Microsoft account to a local account. To do that, follow these instructions: 1. Click on the Windows logo located in the bottom left corner2. Click on Settings3. Click on Accounts4. Under the "Your account tab", click on Sign in with a local account instead5. Type your Microsoft account password, and click Next6. Enter the desired name and password ***** your local account, and click Next7. Finally, click Sign out and finish You should now have 3 local accounts available. Restart the computer to check if you can see them all, especially the Admin account you had created.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK - Done as your above instructions. I now have one account only 'Simon' and it is local - signs in with the new password ***** put in. The other accounts are not there now - what have I now done with them? Await your next instructions - sorry to be a continuing pain! Thanks - Simon.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Hello! Please check if other user accounts are still there. To do that, right-click on the Windows logo located in the bottom left corner and select Command Prompt. In the black Command Prompt window, type:control userpasswords2 and press Enter. When a new window opens, check the list of user accounts as well as their assigned group.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your reply. When I follow your instructions the system opens a window - 'User Account Control' asking if I want this app to make changes to your computer - to continue type admin password ***** click yes. There is nowhere to type a password ***** this window (and I don't have an admin password) - and the 'yes' and 'no' spaces only highlight the 'no' - which then leads me back to the command prompt again. Help,again, please! Thanks Simon.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
Sorry for the delay.
There must be a way for you to sign in to the "Admin" account you had created. Since you couldn't go past the "User Account Control" window, here are other ways to check for user accounts created on the computer.
1. Click on the Windows Start button located in the bottom left corner, and then click on Settings
2. At the Settings window, click on Accounts
3. Click on Family & other users
4. Check if there is another user account listed either under the "Your family" or "Other users"
Alternatively, you can right-click on the Windows logo located in the bottom left corner and select Command Prompt. In the Command Prompt windows, type:
net users
and press Enter.
All user accounts will be shown below the line.
Let me know what you see there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK - first method - via settings - accounts - produces window with options - 1 'your email and accounts'. 2 'sign in options'. 3 'work access'. 4 'sync your settings' - (no 'family and other options' offered!) Clicking 1.gives 'simon' local account. (Once I choose this option the window freezes for any other of the options to open and I have to close it and start again via the windows button). On clicking the 'add an account it shows - 1 '*****@******.*** microsoft account'. 2 'outlook.com'. 3 'exchange'. 4 'google'. 5 'yahoo mail'. 6 'cloud'. 7 'other accounts pop imap'. 8 'advanced set up'.
Second method - using command prompt - and 'net users' - comes up with 'user accounts for \\ simon-hp
admin. default account geraldine
Guest simon test
Does that help you to solve this one?? Thanks - Simon.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
The second method shows other accounts, but I am not sure why you don't see them on the logon screen.
Please do the following:
Click somewhere on desktop (on empty space) and press the Alt and F4 keys at the same time. A new window will appear. Select "Sign out" there and click OK.
You will then be taken to the logon screen, so check if you can see other accounts there. They should appear in the bottom left corner.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK done as you suggest - first screen has time and date on left hand side - click on the screen anywhere and it opens into the next screen with 'simon' and password ***** - to then start up again. No other options to select are shown at all. ??
Thanks - Simon.
(PS.Could all this be to do with some of the other bits I have keyed into prompt screens previously when following your instructions? - just a thought!)
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Simon!
I am still not quite sure why the other accounts are not shown on the logon screen.
Let's use the Windows 10 disc again to solve the problem.
Insert a working Windows 10 disc into your computer and let it boot from it. You will be asked to press any key to continue, so do it. After that, select the language and click Next. You will then see the Windows Setup window with options "Install now" and "Repair your computer".
Once you see that window, do not click on anything, but just press the Shift and F10 keys at the same time. It will then bring up the Command Prompt window.
In that Command Prompt window, type these two commands:
move d:\windows\system32\utilman.exe d:\windows\system32\utilman.exe.bak
and press Enter
Then type:
copy d:\windows\system32\cmd.exe d:\windows\system32\utilman.exe
and press Enter
Here is how it should look like:
graphic
In case you see the "The system cannot find the file specified." message, then try again, but replace d: with c: in both commands
Once you see the "1 file(s) moved" and "1 file(s) copied" messages, just restart the computer.
Eject the Windows 10 disc and let it start Windows 10. You need to go to the logon screen, so when you are asked to type your password, don't do it, but just click on the "Ease of access" icon located in the bottom right corner. It is the one with 2 arrows and a circle.
Clicking that icon should bring up the Command Prompt since you replaced the original program with the Command Prompt using the Windows 10 disc.
Once you see the Command Prompt, type this command:
net localgroup administrators Simon /add
and press Enter
That command will add your "Simon" account as administrator. Close the Command Prompt window and type the password ***** sign in.
Check if your account now has administrative privileges.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK - this seems to have done the trick - your instructions were good, but not exactly as you described - however with your help I now have one local logon account, 'simon' , which has admin privileges, and as far as I can see allows me to authorise any updates and downloads etc. - for example I had to get my Norton completely re downloaded as it got slightly corrupted after all this! It is now up to date and works correctly. I assume that I could add another account if I needed it at some time later? Do I have to do anything else now to finalise the system it is now in? Thanks - Simon.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Simon! I am very glad you now have administrative privileges on your "Simon" account! You don't need to do anything else. In case you notice that another program like Norton stopped working, you re-install it. If you need to create a new local user account, you can follow these instructions:1. Click on the Windows Start button located in the bottom left corner, and then click on Settings2. At the Settings window, click on Accounts3. Click on Family & other users4. Click on + Add someone else to this PC5. When a new window opens, click on I don't have this person's sign-in information located at the bottom6. On the next screen, click on Add a user without a Microsoft account7. You will then be able to type a name of the new account and password (optional)8. Click Next to create the account9. Once the account has been created, it will appear under "Other users" By default, a new account will be a standard user (no administrative privileges). If you want to change that, you can click on its name (under Other users) and then click on Change account type. Click on the drop-down box (where it says Standard User) and select Administrator, and click OK to confirm Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with. Regards,IT Miro
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Hello again, Simon!
I am following up with you to see if the original problem has been fully resolved, or you still require assistance.
Let me know,
IT Miro
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Hi!
In case you don't require further assistance, please take a moment to rate my help to you by clicking on the smiley face near my answer, or by clicking on the stars located in the upper right corner of the page.
If you are unable to rate me because you already rated the previous Expert, let me know here.
Thanks,
IT Miro
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
IT Miro - many thanks for your follow up. Mostly seems to be fine now apart from 2 queries still. I did not reply sooner as I was checking that all seemed to be working!
First - when I click on the 'Network' icon on my desktop - the window opens up and shows under the 'media devices' heading four different names -
1.Simon-HP:geraldine griffith (this is new one I have most recently set up with no password)
2.Simon-HP:geraldine (I think is an old original that I never had a password ***** - and was there when I started this with you) 3.Simon-HP:simon (this I am running now as the main one with admin facility)
4.Simon-HP:test (this was set up the first time I used the disc on your instructions and gave me admin access then)
What do I do about the 2 I don't want and that do not appear on the start screen now!
Secondly - the messages keep prompting me to back up my files - this I have tried to do on discs - but the system runs and runs and seems to get stuck on 40% - where it sits for an hour not doing a lot - the disc seems to making some noises during this time - am I doing it wrong or does another setting need adjusting somewhere? Hope you can advise on these points - thanks Simon.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Simon! Thanks for writing back. I thought I lost you. In case you want to remove additional user accounts, it can be done this way: 1. Sign in with an account that has administrative privileges (in your case: "Simon") 2. Move the mouse cursor over the Windows logo located in the bottom left corner and right-click it and select Command Prompt (Admin). Confirm when asked to continue 3. When the Command Prompt window opens, type this command:control userpasswords2and press Enter 4. A new window will appear with a list of all user accounts available on your computer. Select the one you want to remove and then click on the Remove button. Confirm by clicking Yes. Repeat the process to remove another account 5. When done, restart the computer to verify the accounts you removed don't appear on the logon screen Regarding the backup:I am not exactly sure why you are prompted to create a backup. Windows 10 shouldn't prompt you to do that. Did you install some backup program?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi again! Many thanks for your last message. Have managed to follow your instructions to the point of getting the 'User accounts' window to open. This shows the 4 previous mentioned accounts and an additional one - 'home group users $' as well.
When I highlight any of them and click on 'remove', the system shows the moving roundel working away but does not actually do anything more - and I have to cancel it to carry on with logging on. Is there yet something else I have done wrong - or should I just live with that now as the rest of the system seems to working OK? On the start up screen there are only the 2 options showing to log on with - 'geraldine griffith' or 'simon' - the others are not shown. I will disregard the backup message from now on ! Thanks - Simon.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Hello! It seems that the other user accounts have only been partially removed, so that is why they do not appear on the start up screen, but you still see them on the list of user accounts. If you cannot fully remove them by clicking on the Remove button in the User Accounts window, then you can try with this method: 1. Click on the Windows Start button located in the bottom left corner, and then click on Settings2. At the Settings window, click on Accounts3. Click on Family & other users 4. Scroll down and check if you can see other accounts there. If you do, click on them and select Remove. Confirm when asked. Another method is to use the Command Prompt: 1. Right-click on the Windows Start button located in the bottom left corner, and then select Command Prompt (Admin) 2. In the Command Prompt window, type this command: net usersand press Enter 3. It will list all user accounts below the intermittent line. To delete an account, type this command: net user name_of_the_account /deleteand press Enter For example, to delete an account named test, you would need to type: net user test /deleteand press Enter Once you have done that, the account(s) should be completely removed from the computer. Let me know if you were able to do that. Regards,IT Miro
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks again for that - I seem to be going round and round in a circle - once again I seem to have lost admin ability on my 'simon' log on and that is the only option now available - none of all the other options are now shown on the screen at the start!
When I go into 'command prompt (admin)' I am not allowed any further as it needs the admin password *****!! I can go into 'command prompt' and on opening that with 'net users' entered it now shows me under admin - 'geraldine griffith' and 'test' - the default account is now 'geraldine' - and guest account is 'simon'?? This seems to be needing to go back to using the disc again? I don't think I have done anything else other than your suggested inputs - 'accounts' on the settings does not show the heading 'Family and other users' - help again please - these old accounts seem to be hanging around - and destabilising the system - unless it is me ! Thanks - Simon.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Hi!
I am sorry to see the problem has returned!
To solve it, you don't need to use the disc again since you have already used it in order to replace the standard "Ease of access" functionality with Command Prompt.
So, restart the computer and then click on the "Ease of access" icon located in the bottom right corner of the logon screen. It is the one with 2 arrows and a circle.
Once the Command Prompt opens, type this command:
and press Enter
That will add your "Simon" account as the administrator. You can then close the Command Prompt window and logon on as usual. The administrator rights should be there.
To make sure you don't lose the administrator rights again, my suggestion is to leave the other user accounts as they are. It seems that every time you attempt to delete them, you end up losing the administrator rights on your "Simon" account.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK - thanks - that seems to have worked again. As you say, I think the best bet re the other accounts that seem to be hanging around is to ignore them and carry on with the admin account that I now have - I hope that they will not interfere with the running of the system as it is? I will ignore the requests to back up on discs, that seems to keep coming up - and try and find a way of stopping it from reminding me as it never seems to work anyway! Other than that all seems to be up and running - I will keep my fingers crossed ! Many thanks for your help in all this - let me know that all is done now and I will do a review for you. Thanks - Simon.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Hello again, Simon! I am glad everything seems to be working now! Yes, you can ignore those other accounts and continue using your "Simon" account that has administrative privileges. Should you ever lose administrative privileges again, just follow the same instructions to get them back. The other accounts shouldn't interfere in any way when being unused. Regarding those backup messages: you can look for the running programs since one of them is sending such prompts. Look for all program icons in the bottom right corner - click on an arrow facing up to expand all icons. If you don't require further assistance, you can now rate my assistance. Please check if you can see the rating box with smiley faces below my reply. If not, you should see the rating box with stars located in the upper right corner of the page. Let me know if you can rate me that way since I see you have already rated the previous Expert who first responded to you. Thanks,IT Miro
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
I am following up with you to check if you were able to rate my assistance using the stars or the smiley faces. I did not receive any notification about you rating me, but you seem to be satisfied with my assistance.
Thanks,
IT Miro
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dear IT Miro - thanks for your follow up. I did send in a rating of 4 stars and a message on how I could not have done it without your very patient help. Perhaps it went to the first responder 'technicalcat' - I used the area at the top of the start to my query. Anyway - once again to you personally - thanks for being so helpful and patient with me - it is still working well!! Regards ***** *****
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the update, Simon! Yes, it seems to have gone to the first Expert who responded to you (technicalcat). I will notify the customer service that the comments were intended for me. I am glad everything is now working well! For any other assistance, feel free to contact me again. Best regards,IT Miro