Dan
Dan, Network Administrator
Experience:  25 Years working with computer troubleshooting and networking. Comp TIA A-Plus Certified.
1567601

Ive lost everything on my laptop, message says no bootable

Ive lost everything on my laptop, message says no bootable device -- Please restart system please help urgent

Category: Computer
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for your question, I look forward to assisting you today. Can you tell me please what operating system you are running?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

im not sure..EasyNote Packard Bell v2.01 CPU B960 @ 2.20GHz

Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
I presume then it is probably Windows. Is there any way you can find out what version it is?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

8.1

Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Okay, now make sure you don't have a CD/DVD in the drive when you are trying to start the computer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I dont have a CD/DVD at all bought this second hand was running 8.1 the updated to windows 10 now I have this mess.

Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Did you get any recovery discs with it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No nothing....please tell me how to fix this.

Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
This will not be a quick fix so I will need a little time to research it please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have a menu - menu bar has Main....Security.....Boot...Exit....and nothing works....Is your advice £28.00 if more I cannot afford it!!

Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Don't worry about the fee. I accept and work for what you offer and nothing extra.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am worried...and totally stuck...

Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Okay there are a couple of things we will need to try. The first is to restart the computer and begin tapping the F8 key about once per second as the computer is starting. Let me know if a menu pops up on the screen. This is going to be trial and error so bare with me.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I cannot restart computer i have boot manager screen if I do contrl alt delete F2 then im into Insydeh20 Setup Utility and then i get a message Network Boot-IPV4: B8-88-E3-5B-A9-1E boot failed, or restart system i dont know how to.

Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Okay you don't want that. This time, restart and hold down the alt key while tapping the F10 key and see if you can get to a recovery menu.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Im getting a boot Option Menu this says checking media and then failed....

Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Does it give you any selections to pick from?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes seven options in boot mode...This laptop im using to answer you is overheating...

Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
What are the options please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

A message on screen it says inacessible boot device, now another message diagnosing your PC, its now restting this PC its at 8%. What does this mean??

Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Well it sounds like you got into the restore mode that I was trying to get you into. If that is what it is doing, you should have Windows 8 back when it is complete.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I had windows 8.1 then updated to windows 10. Its still sitting on 8%, does this mean when it gets to 100% its sorted. Id rather go back to packardbell factory settings and start again, but don't know how. Is that all the help you can give??

Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
If this is in fact the factory restore, it will take you back to what was installed on the computer when it was new. If it was Windows 8, 8.1 will eventually download and install from Microsoft. If 8.1 was originally installed, that is what will be restored as well as the original Packard Bell settings.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Okay thanks Dan

Regards Carmen

Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
I'll be available to you if you need further assistance, so don't hesitate.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'll just let this run and hopefully its okay. Ive been at this all day, panic over.

Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
I understand. If by chance this fails, don't panic as there are other options available we can try.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Its only at 52% so slow.

Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Yep, but normal!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Its now installing windows....

Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
That is typical factory recovery.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Is that me sorted now??

Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Sorted?
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Not sure what the question is?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I mean once windows has installed will my PC run okay??

Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
It should. The first thing I would suggest would be to run Windows updates and let it install all of the latest software.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I can't get in it wont accept my password...

Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Did you try leaving it blank?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes

Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Is this Windows asking for a password ***** is the password ***** popping up before Windows starts?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Popping up before it starts...

Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
If you are seeing a password ***** before the Windows splash screen starts, that is the BIOS password ***** can be difficult to break. Did you purchase this from a private party?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No. I have the windows screen with my name on it and requesting a password...

Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Okay, well at least that can be broken with a little effort. Give me a minute please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Okay

Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Okay, you can go to this LINK and follow the instructions to download free software to reset your password, or I can give you another link you can purchase a CD from that is all ready to go. Check the link first and read through the instructions before you decide.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Okay thanks Dan ill leave it there as im getting nowhere

Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Well let me know if you want to try to proceed with resetting the password. I would suggest you take a breath for today and try again later on.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.

In case you want to go this route, here is another LINK.