Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I have a very large table and would like to have a look

I have a very large table and would like to have a look up box at the top to search, when the cell is found i need to change the corresponding value. ie it is a price list, so first search the product and then change the price.
Can the search be dynamic, so that it starts to search as the letters are typed?
many thanks
noel
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
In which program are you doing this please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

sorry, should have said: excel

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No problem, can you provide me your sheet so I can see the format, constructions ect and do this- Click the following link: http://www.wikisend.com- Upload the file to that website- Once it is uploaded, the resulting page will display a "File ID" number.- Please, give me that "File ID Number"Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i keep getting an error,

We are sorry but an error has occured while uploading.

is there another way?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes, use this site instead
http://ge.tt
Upload and give me the download link please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

http://ge.tt/2ss1TwP2/v/0

i cut the file down to size,
thanks again

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
looking at it now
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
This is now done and you can get it via this link
http://ge.tt/5PT0WwP2/v/0?c
The way it has to be done you click on the button there, then type in what you want, click the check box and it will then display only that row.
You click select all to show all
If you have any problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Richard

I was hoping to have it a different way, one in which I type the name of the product instead of selecting it from an alphabetical list.

Say for example, I type the first letters of chicken, it would show me everything related to chicken.

My list is very long - over 1500 entries, and I'd need a very quick search system.

Do you know if this is possible ?

Theres a great youtube video of something similar, however on it you cannot edit the values . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCahRfEGj1g

many thanks

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Correct, you cannot edit the values and the list is fixed, which is why I did it this way. It is very quick and you type the first letter(s) and it limits it to this, exactly what you required. What was the issue with it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks again Richard,

Its not ideal, there is just a first letter search and then you have to scroll down all the items to find the product.

If the a-z button is pressed is rearranges my list out of sequence.

It is to be used on a tablet and this method involves too many steps to find the product. I had hoped that the dynamic idea from the youtube clip could work - or something very similar.

Noel

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
its not a first letter search its an any letter Search, can you please play with it Noel and you see how it works. For example, type in s and anything with S appears, type in st and anything with ST appears.
The A to Z is only doing it on this column which is how Excel works.
I do not see though how its more steps then dynamic as it is dynamic, you type, it filters then you select it and edit.
There is only 1 more step....
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Apologies, my old excel version does not have that search box in the filter section, ive used it in the latest version and now its looks good.

Thanks Richard

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Ah ok, must be a very old version Noel!
If you need anything else, please let me know
And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.