Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

Running windows XP professional SP 3. With Avast Free anti-virus

Running windows XP professional SP 3. With Avast Free anti-virus software. This Jult/Aug. 2015 the the speed at the PC dropped from 39mbs to 5mbs. Previously been Getting
39 mbs at the Hub5 and 36 at the Pc.
The isp is British telecom supplying up to 40mbs with Infinity One contract.
Bt investigated and replaced the master connection at the house. Speed to HUb 5 O.K.
but speed from Hub5 to PC about 5/7 mbs. Turning OFF Avast anti virus returns the speed to the PC to 35/36mbs. Uninstalling different peices of software makes no difference. Is this happening else or just to this PC.
Hope you can help. ***** *****
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
On the BT Hub, remove the power to it and wait 5 minutes.
Then connect the power, and tell me if this improves the speed please
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As your instructions Post turning off Hub Speed to Hub 5 was 39.9mbs download 4.9mbs, Upload 3.! mbs, Avast enabled.
As per above, Avast Disabled, Download 35.2mbs Upload 5.6mbs
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, so back to normal levels now correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NO. With Avast disabled Readings were Speed to Hub5 39.9 mbs, download, 35.2 mbs upload 5.6mbs.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes and before you were getting 5/7mbps
What speeds are you expecting?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Bt Infinity is a fiber service not a copper wire service. Speeds expected are up to 40mbs to the Router Hub5,
and around 35/36mbs at the PC which is what i am getting with Avast anti virus disabled. Say 4/5mbs difference. 5/7mbs is a
copper wire installation speed. It is the anti virus that is dragging down the speed. Can you tell me WHY or How.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, copper gets a lot more then 5/7 but anyway, the anti virus checks the traffic so there is over head on this, you are always going to get this as it needs to always check the traffic for any infections.But before you indicated " speed from Hub5 to PC about 5/7 mbs" and this pointed to an issue with the hub which restarting it the way we did reloaded the firmware and got that corrected.Also, speed fluctuates, your testing it based on your connection, and the testing servers, and this will always go up and down based on use on the lines in between. A fluctuation of 5mbps is expected.If your meant to get a maximum of 40 and they always talk in maximums, then 35/36 is very normal.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Richard. I know that 35/36 is normal with 40 maximum. But from July 2014 to to about August 2015 i was getting those soughts of figures with Avast Anti virus ENABLED. From August 2015 I can only get those figures with the Avast anti virus DISABLED.
All the test of switching off Routers and testing the connectivity i have completed serveral times over the last two or three months.
Can you suggest any interaction between different software and Avast Anti Virus that you are aware of.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
It would depend on what software you have installed.
What have you installed around the time of the slowdown that you noticed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have installed Nothing. Microsoft have been messing about with Google Chrome and buried Adobe Flash player in the chrome software. I cannot uninstall Google Chrome as the Bt speed tester needs Flash Player to run.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
you can use Internet Explorer and install Flash with this.
But Chrome wont be the issue
Do this then test
Click start run
Type in MSCONFIG and press enter.
Click on the Startup Tab and click Disable All.
Click on the Services Tab and click "Hide All Microsoft Services"
Then click Disable All
Click ok, restart and let me know how speed is
Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry