Jess M.
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Hardware & Software Specialist - 10yrs Exp, Web Designer & Developer
49766785

I have a large excel spreadsheet with 1,000 lines of data.

Customer Question

I have a large excel spreadsheet with 1,000 lines of data. I have placed a hyperlink from the excel spreadsheet to a photograph, one for each line. (It is an inventory.) Having done this successfully for about 5 years, all of a sudden I can't open the hyperlink. I get an error message. The photographs are still there but the hyperlink does not work. Help!
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.I am very sorry about your issues. Can you please tell me the exact error message that you are getting when opening the hyperlink fails?Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further. A rating is only required when we are finished.Best regards,Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, Jess, thanks very much.

First comes a message which begins with what looks like the full file name which begins file///C:/Users, etc etc etc

Then there is the line Invalid value for registry.

I close that message and then this is followed by another message from Excel which says

An unexpected error has occurred.

I have tried deleteing the hyperlink and then creating a new hyperlink but the same fault occurs.

N.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for writing back with that information and I am very sorry about the persisting issue.Please give me a moment to replicate the issue with my Excel to see the error message that you are getting. If I cannot replicate it, please try it again and then tell me the exact error message that you are getting.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

In the excel spreadsheet, if you hover the mouse over the hyperlink cell, the file 'path' information for that cell is shown e.g.

file:///C:Users\CI\2015INVENTORY\2015 MAY\20100518-124.JPG

When the error message comes up, it shows the file path (example above) followed by the words:

Invalid value for registry.

I then close the box and another message box appears, saying

An unexpected error has occurred.

Hope this helps

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for that information. I cannot replicate the issue in my Excel 2010. This time, please try to locate ANY of your JPG file there. Please double click on it. Did it open using Windows Photo Viewer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, I usually use Windows Live Photograph Gallery to open the picture.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Ok. Please try to hyperlink to a DOC file. When you click on the hyperlink, will the DOC file opens in Word?Try also doing a hyperlink to a URL like google.com. When you click the hyperlink, will it open your browser?This is to test if the problem is with pictures only, or with the entire hyperlink system
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hyperlink to a DOC file worked and hyperlink to a URL worked.

One thing which may or may not be relevant: I have recently moved to Windows 10 from Windows 7.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for that information. Do you have other pictures other than JPG? For instance, GIF or PNG. Please try to hyperlink a PNG file then see if the problem happens again.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Unfortunately, no - I only have jpg pics. If it is possible to convert one to GIF or PNG, I could do so, but you would have to tell me how.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Please try to use this one I attached
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks. Sorry to tell you that, in trying to open the hyperlink which I created, the same sequence of error messages came up.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
I believe the issue is with your file association with images. Please do the following:Close ALL of your MS Office programsLocate a JPG fileRight click on it, then point to "Open with"Then click on "Choose Default Program"In the list of programs, please select "Windows Photo Viewer"Make sure that the option "Use this app for all JPG files" is CHECKEDThen the JPG file you selected shall be opened with Windows Photo ViewerNow test your Excel hyperlinkKeep me posted.Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

After "Open With" I don't see "Choose Default Program"

Instead I see immediately a list of opening options

and I don't have the opportunity to select an option "Use this app for all JPG files."

Sorry.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Jess,

I have come to the conclusion (with your help) that the issue with the hyperlink is a red herring. You are correct, the issue is about opening a jpg. I have only just noticed that when I go directly to the folder to open the photograph (jpg) with the usual double click, the same error occurs. I can only open the pic with a right click of the mouse and then choosing, for example Windows Live Photograph Gallery.

Maybe that info helps you?

N.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi,Thank you for writing back with that information. Indeed, there is an issue with your image files association.Can I remotely access your computer so that I can directly fix the issue while you watch?Remote access is an optional additional service offer with a minimal one-time flat fee ($15) regardless of how long it will take me to fix the problem. We can resume any time without additional cost. It is safe as you will be watching your screen and we can chat right there, and it will be a faster mode of help.Please let me know if you want this remote option.Best regards,Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes please

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your permission to do remote access. I will now send the formal additional service offer of remote access. Please accept it so that I can create our remote session. After accepting it, you will then receive the procedures to join me in the remote session.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for accepting my additional service offer of remote access so that I can help you directly in fixing your problem. For me to remote in, we need a remote access tool. Please follow the steps below to join me in the remote session. 1. Please click on this link:http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=345553cd-324c-45d5-8974-dbc7065f49ec2. In that page, please click on the green I Agree button3. Then download the remote tool when prompted.4. Run the downloaded remote tool to join me in the remote session. I will be waiting for you there.Thank you. If you are stuck in any of the steps, please let me know so that I can help you further.Best regards,Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Turn on TLS 1.0, TLS 1.1, and TLS 1.2 in Advanced settings and try connecting to https://screenconnect.justanswer.com again. If this error persists, it is possible that this site uses an unsupported protocol. Please contact the site administrator.

Just got this message.... aaaaggghhh

What do I do? What is TLS?

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Are you using Internet Explorer? Please do this:Open Control PanelOpen Internet OptionsClick the Advanced tabScroll down and locate TLS 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2 there. Then click to CHECK these 3 items.Then click ApplyThen click OKThen try opening the link I gave you again.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi,Thank you for your patience. Your issues with your JPG hyperlinks in Excel were fixed through remote help.Thank you for using our service. If you need assistance in the future, you can request me any time by posting a new question starting with "For Jess M" so that I can assist you immediately.Best regards,Jess