Pete
Pete, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience in the Electronics and IT industries.
30970729

My wife upgraded from Windows 7 to 10 and it was working OK

My wife upgraded from Windows 7 to 10 and it was working OK until she installed the HP fingerprint reader stuff. She hasn't yet recorded her prints but can't get past the pre-login screen (picture of sea through a rock) to do so. Hitting return no longer takes her past it and nor does any other key including ctl-alt-del.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
The keyboard drivers may not have installed correctly during the upgrade.
Try plugging an external keyboard into the USB port and let me know if that works.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Pete, We already had checked that. Mrs A used the BIOS application to check settings and ensure that the keyboard was working. However we thought that maybe using Windows Restore might help so using Mrs A's advice about where to find the "make a restore disc" applet I created one from my own Win 10 installation. Though at first it said it was unsuccessful, in fact it did work, enabling her to roll back to before the HP fingerprint installation and she has managed to get back into her computer!
Take home message: If it says that HP fingerprint software doesn't work with Win 10, it means it doesn't work with Win 10!
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Ok, glad to hear you got it sorted!
best,
Pete.