Pete
Pete, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience in the Electronics and IT industries.
30970729

We had seemingly let our AVG free lapse since Jan '15 on an

We had seemingly let our AVG free lapse since Jan '15 on an old Windows XP PC.
Trying to install it again, I fell for DownSpeedTest, only for Spy Hunter 4(Enigma) to 'come to rescue me'-Installed this & saw problems! Tried to open AvG & page did not look good & would not open. Happy to pay! Help please.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
You will need to try starting the computer in Safe Mode with Networking by pressing F8 at startup, then install Malwarebytes to remove any trace of the malware:
https://www.malwarebytes.org/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What is Safe Made / Networking please? I am a silver surfer!

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Thats ok Jane, I am here to help :)
Safe Mode allows the computer to start up without anything running in the background, including (hopefully) the malicious software.
To start in safe mode, keep pressing F8 when you turn on the computer - if you do it correctly, you will see Safe Mode displayed, and the font and icons on the screen will look a lot larger than usual.
Select the 'Safe Mode with Networking' option - this will allow you to continue to connect to the internet so that you can download Malwarebytes and install it to erase the malware.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Please see mail sent this evening. I can't comment on your help until Mine problems are sorted! Jane

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jane,
I haven't received any message from you since my last reply two days ago.
If you have replied by email then I will not receive it.
Please log in to your account on the justanswer.co.uk website and post your reply on the question page.
Thanks!
Pete.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1. I am still not sure if the result was 'safe'.Busy week! Will let you know, when I am.Jane

2.
Peter. I followed your advice & the links which told me to download Downspeed Test. The PC didn't seem well so I followed next link -> Spy Hunter.Even worse. Phoned a friend who came round to help me. This is what she did:-

I succeeded in un-installing Bitdefender (you had switched it off but it was still there) which was stopping AVG from downloading - and so I managed to install AVG. I left it scanning and it seemed to be going OK. The Winzip Malware product you bought is not as effective as Malware bytes, but it may have already sorted out the bulk of any infestation. It hadn't got rid of the DownSpeedTest product you had installed though - AVG may have done but if it hasn't I'll take some advice on how to get rid of it, as it can behave like a trojan!

DST is still showing on my Internet Express screen. How do I dump it please? Jane

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jane,
If DST is showing on your Internet Explorer page when you start it up, then you can change the 'Home Page' setting to your chosen page in the Tools/Settings for your version of Internet Explorer.
Let me know if you would like remote assistance with this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can' answer for 2 days - hospital tests­čśč But will do when PC sorted. Jane
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
That's ok - just reply back when ready :)
Pete.