Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

My Samsung N130, rarely used on line and keeping via

My Samsung N130, rarely used on line and for book keeping via Lotus 123, keyboard some number, arrow and letter keys are not working. I will soon transfer to my Asus lap top with windows 7.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
You may have numeric lock on from the sounds of it.
Press the FN + F11 keys and tell me if this fixes it please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No the numlock action did not clear the problem. However, when the numlock was on, I found that blue Fn numbers 1, 2, 3 and / worked on my test spread sheet.

Would attaching another key board, via a USB socket, solve the problem?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Ok, so num lock appears to be part of it but not all.
An external keyboard will fix it John, but Is it the keys with the blue text on them only that do not work?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, the white key numbers, on the top row are the ones that I use most, are not working either.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks John
When did the problem start?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yesterday after a complete pause in use for 2 days. The last use was on a Lotus spread sheet, followed by a brief on line session to update the Bullguard internet security and running C Cleaner to clean up junk. Usually follow this procedure and I did not notice anything untoward.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
thanks
I would like you please to do a system restore to undo any corruption that has occurred.
To do this, close all programs.
Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Restore.
Follow the onscreen instructions and perform a restore using a restore date from before this problem started.
Let this complete and when it has tell me if it is now functioning please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Restore did not work and so I manages to get a usb stick full of data back up. I will move all Lotus to open source Libre, eventually correct my files to work on the Asus. In the meantime the ex desk top, MS 3000, via the usb connection works fully and will enable me to sort my accounts for the tax returns.

Many thanks for your help and I will contact you again if the problem gets in the way again. I may be retiring but I will have to keep up with computer developments.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
your most welcomeThe next step would be a reinstall of windows and you may wish to consider this when you have time.Then you can confirm if the problem is resolved, that it was a software problem, else if the problem continues, you know its a hardware problem.If you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.Thank you
Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
.