Freddy M.
Freddy M., IT Technician
Experience:  Years of experience.
15852642

I received an official looking pop up message (from apple?)

I received an official looking pop up message (from apple?) to inform me that my computer had a virus and could be hacked into. I contacted them by phone and the guy (Brendon) told me that a network team from the US (Techqure) could fix the problem at a cost of £290. I gave him some details, not my bank details, and he worked on my system remotely. I told him i would phone him back, and he asked me to leave the computer on, which I did. Can you tell me if this company (techqure) is legitimate or am i in danger of being hacked in to? Many Thanks David
Category: Computer
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is***** do not rate until we are finished. I look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. This is a scam Apple does not monitor your computer, immediately contact your bank or credit card and dispute the charges. If you gave them a credit card report it stolen in case they try to use it again.

A virus removal at most would cost £90 from a legitimate source. Once you have done that report the number and the site it popped up on to the internet crime center here: Click Here Here is a page that goes more in depth about this type of scam: Click Here If you have any questions at all reply and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating by clicking the stars/smileys for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Mac.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Am i in any danger of my computer being logged in to, because as I said, they may now have my serial number and they were previously working at it remotely.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Most of those programs randomize the key that allows you to connect. So the next time you try to use it, it is a different key to access the computer. They should not be able to connect to it again unless you give them those numbers again. If you have any questions at all reply and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating by clicking the stars/smileys for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Mac.