Byron
Byron, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  A+ MCSE with over 12 years experience.
13274453

I can't get into my deceased husband's computer, am getting

Customer Question

I can't get into my deceased husband's computer, am getting message "the User profile Service failed the logon user profile cannot be loaded"
Category: Computer
Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.
Hi. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist.The error message indicates there are corrupted files inside the user profile. We can use System Restoreto correct this. Start or restart the computer and as soon as the manufacturer's logo appears onscreenbegin steadily tapping the F8 key until the Advanced Boot Options page loads (black with white text)Use the arrow keys to select: Safe Mode with Command Prompt and press Enter.You will be asked to log in and the password ***** work at this point.At the command prompt, which will look like this: C:\Windows\System32>_type: rstrui.exe and press Enter.This will launch System Restore.When it opens click Next and put a checkmark in the box labeled Show More Restore Points.Select a restore date when you were able to log in normally. Click Next, then Finish and allow the restore to complete.Once the machine has restarted you should be able to log in normally.Sometimes the first restore point does not work. In that case repeat the procedure using the next oldestrestore point and working your way back in time if necessary.Let me know the results please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have got as far as "Confirm your restore point" but the mouse isn't moving the arrow so I can't select anything, it is showing a hand but all seems stuck
Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.
In that case you'll need to restart the computer, holding down the power button if necessary to turn it off and then restarting it.
Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.
If it locks up on you again we can try it a different way. Start the computer, tapping F8 again, and when you get to the boot menu select Safe Mode option (no command prompt). You'll then log in and get a desktop. Close the Help and Support window when it appears. Click Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools and select System Restore and try to run it that way.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I restarted and went through the instructions again, when I got to restrui.exe a System Restore panel came up but I can't move the pointer at all; I pressed enter and got a further panel about how to chose a restore point, but the pointer still doesn't work, though I can chose a restore point by using the up arrow but I can't click on show more restore points
Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.
Is one of the restore points you can choose a date when you could log in normally? If so, use that.
Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.
If the mouse isn't working try using the Tab key to move around the screen. When your selection becomes active (such as the Next button) press Enter.
Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.
Are you using a USB mouse connected by cable or a wireless mouse?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, I missed your previous message, so I am now trying the different way
Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. I'm standing by.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I now can't get into the Advanced Boot Options screen, I am getting a panel that says please select boot device but every option I click takes me into windows
Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.
This is looking like your hard drive is failing. That would explain the user profile issue.One of your boot device options is the hard drive. It may be a little difficult to determinewhich it is because of the description. Power off the computer then turn it on.List here the boot options if you're still getting that screen.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Generic storage device 9451
P3: TSSTcorpCDDVDW SH-222BB
P1ST31000524AS
Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.
If that is all that is displayed it's not even showing the hard drive now.What is the brand and model number of the computer and do you have a Windows 7 installation DVD?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The screen is marked DELL, the keyboard LOGITECH and the tower COOLERMASTER and ECLIPSE. I have the DVDs.
Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. Eclipse is a company that makes custom PCs in the UKhttp://www.eclipsecomputers.com/landing.aspx?page=systemsThis is a hardware issue that would need to be addressed Eclipse.I don't know the age of the computer but it's possible this couldbe handled by warranty if still active. The data on the hard driveis likely intact but it would take a physical inspection to determinethat for certain. I wish I could give better news but there is no simplefix for this. Please let me know if you need more information and if youcould take a moment before leaving to provide a service rating usingthe stars at the top of the page it would be much appreciated. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your hellp, I'll find someone who can come and look at it.
Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.
Certainly. Please remember to rate and have a great day.