Randy Computer Tech
Randy Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer specialist
62741268

I have an 8 year old MacBook Pro which, apart from its old

I have an 8 year old MacBook Pro which, apart from its old version of Safari sometimes being slow to load, has always been excellent.
Recently (in the last 2-4 months) it has occasionally suddenly dropped the connection with Safari altogether, and more recently produced a black and white checkerboard type pattern on the screen with an indistinct message in several languages telling me to re-start the computer.
When this problem first started it was fine for several days after the computer was restarted. However it happened more frequently, often when started up. also it displays two of the Apple logos on the screen with the little rotating symbol telling you it is doing something! this is followed by the black and white checkerboard.
Last week it refused to work at all for a week at least, and then suddenly ok again. we decided that as this problem seemed worse when trying to start it, we wouldn't turn it off, it's been ok since. Once it's going ok it shows no sign of any other problems and while we feel it's probably time we bought another one, I wondered if anyone has any ideas, or whether it may be something that can be repaired?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Randy Computer Tech replied 1 year ago.
Hi,My name is ***** ***** certified professional with over 10 years experience. I will be glad to assist you with this.I am sorry to hear that you are having this issue. This does sound like the computer is just too old and outdated, the problem with the older versions of Mac is that safari and other programs that you use are updating and the older operating system is getting out of configuration and causes the computer to run slow and experience other system errors. Unfortunately the best option on this will be to upgrade to a new Mac, however there are some things you can try that will help with Safari but it will most likely just be a temporary fix.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What else could we try?

Follow these steps please>Please follow the instructions below to reset Safari:Open your Safari web browser by clicking on the Safari icon in the dock.Click on Safari in your Safari menu, located at the top of your screen.A drop-down menu will now appear. Choose the option labeled "Reset Safari..."A warning dialog will now appear detailing the items that will be removed.Click the button on the dialog labeled Reset to complete the process.Then follow these steps next>Press Command-Option-Escape to force quit any application that is not responding.Put your Mac to sleep by clicking the Apple () menu and choosing Sleep. Wake the computer after it has gone to sleep.Restart your Mac by choosing Restart from the Apple menu.Shut down your Mac by choosing Shut Down from the Apple menu.If your Mac isn't responding, force the computer to shut down by pressing and holding the power button for 10 seconds
Experience: Computer specialist
Please let me know if you need any other assistance.Please take a moment to rate my service positively by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then click on submit.Thank you very much!