Viet - Computer Tech
Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer software and hardware support; Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP & Mac.
30037186

I have an ACER P253-E. I have AVG 2015 anti-virus software.

Hi, I have an ACER P253-E. I have AVG 2015 anti-virus software. There are 5 parts to it. 2 parts are saying that they need update ('Computer' and 'WEB'). When I try to run the program to fix the problem I get a message 'Update failed. Update has detected running installation. Complete that installation before starting update'. My question is, how do I figure out what's installing? I can't find it. I think it might be something to do with Skype, which is working. I tried to unistal Skype in case that was the problem but it won't let me!
All suggestions/instructions would be gratefully received.
Ann
Category: Computer
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 1 year ago.
Hi,I'm sorry about the issue. When did this issue first occur?Do you mean it does not let you uninstall AVG and/or Skype (don't uninstall skype) and/or another program? What is the error or message?Do you have windows xp, vista, or 7, or 8, 10?Can we do a remote support session, so I can troubleshoot the issue directly on your computer together with you?Please reply at the box below. Thank you,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I have Windows 10 which I installed a few weeks ago.

I first noticed the problem about a week ago where I got a warning message on my anti-virus software that some parts were out of date. I never got these messages before as there seemed to be automatic updates. Something has happened now preventing parts of the anti-virus from updating. It was when I tried investigating over the last few days that I've now given in and realised I can't fix this myself. I haven't tried uninstalling the anti-virus. I don't think that's the problem. A couple of weeks ago I got a message on Skype saying that it needed updating and I tried doing that but it failed. I didn't bother trying to update it after that because Skype was working anyway. But I reckon (could be wrong) that it's that program that the system thinks is in the process of uploading. As I said, I thought if I could uninstall and reinstall Skype, it would fix the problem, but I can't do that.

When I try to uninstall Skype I get the message

Another program is being installed

Wait until that installation is complete, then try reinstalling this software.

You did shut down / restart the computer and check right?If that does not work, the issue is that there is likely a program that keeps installing when turning on the computer, so it's preventing any other program from uninstalling / installing.Have you tried to do a system restore?If needed, I can connect remotely to your computer and troubleshoot.Please reply at the box below. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes, this problem has been there for a few days now. I tried switching off and back on as I thought that might clear the problem but it hasn't. I also switch off every night and restart in the morning.

I haven't tried a system restore as I would be afraid to do that. I don't know what I would lose o.r what I would have to restore or what preparations I would need to do beforehand.

if you have the time and it would help to resolve the issue I would be happy to let you remotely connect.

Thank you. Please accept the remote support offer, then please click on the website below in order to connect with me remotely:http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=68b958e0-1f81-40a2-998f-be06d101c70e, then allow the Elsinore.ScreenConnect program to download/run/open when prompted at the bottom.Note: If it does not connect within 5 minutes, then please reply at the box below and let me know. Thank you,
I have resolved the issue via remote support. If you need help with anything else, please come back any time. Please rate my service below. Thank you very much.
Experience: Ten years of computer software and hardware support; Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP & Mac.