Kamil Anwar
Kamil Anwar, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ Years of Experience. / CCNA (S), CCNA (W), CCNA (RS), MCTS, MBCs.
69350257

Have tried to install Windows 10 but screen keeps fading into

Customer Question

Have tried to install Windows 10 but screen keeps fading into black with only cursor visible, this is after I have typed in my password ***** desktop has appeared. as soon as I click onto anything the screen freezes. Regards ***** *****
Category: Computer
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. I look forward to assisting you today. What version of Windows 7 were you upgrading from and how old is your computer please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My laptop is a Dell Inspiron have had it for about 4 years
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Think Windows 7 came with it, may only be 3 years ago I bought it.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. You may need to restore it back to Windows 7 or download Windows 10, then burn it to a DVD and try to reinstall it from that?
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
I can assist you with which ever you decide to do.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Would like to restore it back to Windows 7
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
If you do, you will need to do a backup of your data files if you have anything you need to keep. This recovery may take you back to the original condition the computer was in when it was new?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What would that involve?
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
When you start the recovery the process, it will prompt you to make a backup. You should have an external storage device like a thumb drive to back up the data on.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
could a hard disc or memory stick be used
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Absolutely!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have one or both in the house somewhere but will have to wait 'til my partner gets home to find out where. Can we resume this talk at about 5.30?
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
It is 10:25 AM here. I will periodically check back so just respond when you are ready and I will get to you as soon as I can.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Dan, will speak soon. Regards Sandra
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
You're most welcome!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Dan, have got memory stick. I'm using a borrowed laptop to type this
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Good. Restart the computer and as it begins to come back up, start tapping the F11 key. That will get you into the restore manager. Let me know when you are there.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just asks for my password ***** then goes straight to desktop while I'm tapping F11 key
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Now desktop is flashing on and off
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Now screen has gone black with just cursor showing
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
You may have just missed it. Try again and make sure you tap the key about once per second.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
If that doesn't work, try again only this time use the F8 key.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Same thing's happening just goes into start up/welcome mode asks for my password ***** goes to desktop and then goes to black screen
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Did you get any CD's when you bought the computer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When it's in black screen mode how should I power it down short depression of off button or keep it pressed down?
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Long press to shut it clear down.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
cant find any cd
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Okay no problem. Just make sure it power down and try the startup again with the F8 key.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no joy screen flashing
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Okay try this. When the Dell logo appears on the screen, press F8 several times to open the Advanced Boot Options menu and let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok automatic repair has poped up two options restart or advanced options
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Go to advanced options.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok 3 options continue troubleshoot turn off your PC
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Continue then use the Arrow keys to select Repair Your Computer and then press Enter. On the System Recovery Options menu, select a keyboard layout and click Next.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Good so far?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
pressed continue has now gone back to screen saver
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
My apologies, try again and choose troubleshoot.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
I will need to step away in a few minutes but will be back as soon as I can.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
How's it going?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Have got into settings via desktop does this help?
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Were you able to proceed with the restore process?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No screen keeps reverting to start up, password ***** desktop flashing. can get through to update and security, with recovery as one of the options. should I press it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Advance options is also up there
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Go to Advance options and let me know what is there please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Choose how updates are installed, get insider builds
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Automatic recommended. Also 'view update history'
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
That's not it. I know this is probably irritating but bare with me please. Have you restarted from a complete shut down pressing the F8 key after the Dell logo appears?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes and it keeps just going straight into screen saver then password ***** desktop
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Do you have any drives or other devices plugged in?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
just the memory stick inserted
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Okay try removing that then see if you can get to the recovery menu.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
preparing automatic repair, diagnosing you pc. Atomatic repair 2 options restart Advanced options
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Restart or Advanced options
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Still not it! I am beginning to think you lost what is called the recovery partition which holds the Windows 7 install data. Do you have or know someone that has a Windows 7 CD?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not sure will have to ask around
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Think will call it a day as have spent so much time on it, yours and mine. How should I proceed with the 2 options I have on screen at mo?
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
You can try the auto repair but I don't think it will do much good.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
You can get back to me whenever you would like to proceed and we can pickup where we left off.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
If you do find a Windows 7 CD make sure it is the same version you are using.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Look under Advanced Options.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thanks Dan. S
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Let me know when you want to continue.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Dan, managed to find a Dell Inspiron disc that came with the laptop. It's titled Drivers and Utilities and says 'use this disc only to reinstall the software already installed on you computer' S
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Contents; Device drivers, Utilities
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
That might be what you need. Try starting the computer with the disc in the drive and see if it will boot from it then let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Reads 'your computer didn't start correctly 2 options Restart Advanced options
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Sounds like we need to change the boot order so the computer checks the DVD drive first. Restart the computer and at the Dell logo, press the F2 key. That should get you into the BIOS. There will be a tab labeled Boot. Check under that and select your DVD drive as the first drive then save the changes. Once that is done, restart again and see if it boots from the disc.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can only move using arrow keys. page I'm on now reads Save changes and restart, discard changes and reset, restore defaults, discard changes, save changes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
on boot 1st boot priority Diskette drive, hard drive. ub storage device, CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive, Network
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
sorry should read USB storage device, have memory stick in should I click on that one?
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
You should be able to change the first boot device to the optical drive or possibly labeled CD/DVD drive. Remove you USB drive and try again.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not sure what you want me to do when I pressed enter on CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive, blue pop-up appears with same options as above
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
There will be instructions at the bottom of the page telling you how to move the individual drive order. On some, if you highlight the drive by pressing enter, you can then move that drive up or down the list with the arrow keys.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
At the top of the page, the manufacturer and version number of the BIOS should be listed. Can you give that to me please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes says at bottom of page F10 save F9 load defaults ect, still not sure what you want me to do
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Can you get me the information I asked for above, or would it be possible for you to send me a screen shot?
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Another idea would to look for what Dell calls the service tag. It will have 6 or 8 numbers on it with a bar code. Can you find that for me?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
BOIS version A04, service tag F96XLT1
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. Give me a few minutes please.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
If you still have the BIOS Boot tab open, highlight the CD/DVD drive then press the + or - key on the keyboard to move the drive up or down in the list. You will see it move if you are doing it correctly. Once you have the CD drive listed as the first drive in the list, press F10 to save and exit.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Did that now starting up with windows logo now back to Automatic repair with 2 options Restart, and Advanced options
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
You should be seeing something like this:
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Now reads Choice Action, 1 run with 32 bit Dell diagnostics or Q Quit without any action (return to DOS)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You choice 1 or Q
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Then I presume you were able to change the boot order correct?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Okay then, try choice 1 and see if it starts the recovery process.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Back to Automatic Repair and the 2 options again
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Okay, one last try before we get drastic. Remove the CD then do this. Turn off then turn on the computer, after the Dell logo press F8 key repeatedly until the Advanced Boot Options menu opens. In Advanced Boot Options, highlight Repair Your Computer and press Enter. Click Next and logon to the administrator account in the computer. Click Dell DataSafe Restore and Emergency Backup and DataSafe Options. Choose Restore without preserving new or changed file. Click Next to continue. Choose Yes and click Next to continue.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
You may not have those options, but just in case!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Dan, Have to go out but will follow your instructions when I get back later, thank you for being so patient with me. Will speak again no doubt. Regards Sandra
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Okay. Let me know when you are available.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Dan, Can we try to get my laptop sorted? Just keep going round in circles back to advanced options.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Yes I think we can but what you will need to order the restore discs from Dell. Let me know when you are available so I can explain further.