Byron
Byron, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  A+ MCSE with over 12 years experience.
13274453

I have a windows 7 laptop. There are 2 profiles on there, 1

Customer Question

I have a windows 7 laptop. There are 2 profiles on there, 1 is admin and the other is my ex step daughter. I managed to boot windows 7 a little while ago and managed to remove the password ***** on her profile in windows 7. However, now after running a windows 7 patch, only her user profile shows up on the login screen and not the admin one but her profile once again is password ***** and i'm unable to log into the admin profile since no switch user control shows up on the login screen. Other than running a complete reinstall of windows 7, is there any other way of logging into the admin profile so i can delete hers?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
Hi. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist. If a Windows update caused thisyou might be able to do this using System Restore but first I need to know if you can get to the point where that willbe possible. Start the machine and immediately start steadily tapping the F8 key until you arrive at the blackadvanced boot menu screen. Using the down arrow key select Safe Mode with Command Prompt and press Enter.You'll be asked for a password ***** this. If you can get to a black screen with a prompt that looks like this:C:\Window\System32>_we'll be able to run System Restore.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
safe mode with command prompt just loaded up windows with the profile log in that i need to delete. it listed all the files it was loading up but no CMD prompt appeared to enter any commands
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
wait. Once all that stuff stops scrolling across the screen you should get the prompt
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
nope. no cmd prompt at all
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
what does the screen look like now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
normal windows log in screen but displaying her user profile and the box to enter password *****
red shut down options on right and the windows narrator clock on bottom left
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no option to switch user or log in as admin
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a Window 7 disk handy?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no. it came without a windows 7 disk so i've never had one for it.
Attached is photo of current screen on that laptop
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
There are several Safe Mode options on the advanced boot menu screen.Try it again and make certain you selectSafe Mode with Command Prompt
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thats what i selected and it lists the windows files its loading, goes to a black screen then onto that login screen i just showed you. I've just redone it to make sure and the same as above
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
enter the password ***** log in
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
You should get the black screen after that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes. after windows lists the files its loading it does go to a black screen but then goes onto the login screen with just the 1 profile
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
I see. You'll need a Windows 7 disk to boot from to do a repair on the computer as there is now no access to the built in utilities that would normally be used to correct this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i guessed that would be the case. so, basically, you are telling me that i have to pay out for a new windows 7 OS to be able to fix the computer that already had windows 7 installed but because it was installed on a multi-licence and therefore no disc was supplied with its purchase?
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
Not necessarily. The computer may have come with a built in recovery partition that would allow you to reinstall Windows.What is the brand and model number of the machine?The possible downside is that a recovery, should it work, would remove all your existing files.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
brand is packard bell and model no. is MS2273. Shes already erased all my files from there so i'm not losing any if recovery does work
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay. Here are the steps to start the recovery.Power on your computer. When the Packard Bell logo is displayed, press and hold the ALT key while pressing repeatedly the F10 key. Release the keys when a message displays that Windows is loading files.After the system recovery program has loaded follow the prompts to reinstall the operating system.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just tried that and it still loads to the login screen on windows. There was a message that flashed very briefly but it was so fast i couldn't read it. No list of windows files being loaded was being displayed. Just a blank screen until the windows login screen appeared
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. That means the recovery partition is either missing or damaged. Your Windows starts, it just needs a bit of repair, not a complete re-install. In this article, http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/ht/system-repair-disc-windows-7.htmit describes how to create a repair disk. It can be created on any Windows 7 computer if you have access to one.I don't want to tell you that you need to make a software purchase until we've explored all options.
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
I was just wondering. Are you able to log in on the other account and create the disk?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
nope. cant get into it at all because its only showing the one profile (the one i can't get into due to password *****). my other laptop i upgraded to win 10. can i make a win 7 disc off it because its win 7 still on its hard drive
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately since it's now Windows 10 that won't be an option.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
so unless i can get or make a windows 7 disc theres no other way other than formatting the hd and install a new os?
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
The recovery disk would contain the tools that we aren't able to access now so it is necessary.It's our last option before a re-install.
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
You could use any Win 7 machine. Maybe a school or university, church or work?Even a friend who hasn't upgraded their machine to Windows 10 yet.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How about if i downgrade my windows 10 to win 7, then make a recovery disk off the 7 and then go back to win 10? or is that not possible?
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
As long as it's been less than 30 days since the upgrade, you can do that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
nope, its been more than that. so i've no where else i can get a windows 7 unless i buy a new copy of it so its a new Os by the sounds of it which i'd guessed i'd have to do anyway. Unless you have another idea then, we're finished
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
Please believe that if there were other options at this point I would present them.
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
Here's a Amazon UK link to see what's available: http://tinyurl.com/pjjm299Please take a moment before leaving to provide a service ratingusing the stars at the top of the page. It would be much appreciated.