John
John, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  I have been in the IT field for the past 8 years. I also worked as a system admin for a construction company for 3 years.
50152684

My granddaughter cannot remember the password ***** her new toshiba

My granddaughter cannot remember the password ***** her new toshiba satellite laptop and she cannot get past login to change it. what can she do?.
Category: Computer
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is***** will be assisting you today. I am sorry to hear that you are having such trouble. I will try my best to help you Sir/Ma'am which is the operating system installed in the PC.Is it windows Xp, Windows Vista, Windows 7, windows 8, Windows 10 or any otherCould you please let me know the full model of the Toshiba satellite laptop?Did you create a password ***** USB stick when you created this password?Sincerely,JohnNote: - Please keep this conversation/Chat page opened to view my replies quickly. You will also get an email notification in your email each time I reply. To reply back to me use the reply box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe it uses windows10, the model is C50d-B-120
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the details.Is this a Microsoft online account password ***** offline account password?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry i do not know, all i know is that she cannot get past the requirement of a password.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Is the laptop with you now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes it is
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Good,If its a online account the user name will be like you email for example***@******.*** or***@******.*** and if its a offline account then it will a single user name like jane ,George so please check the account name in the login page and let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is***@******.*** hope thats what you want.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Yes that is what i was looking for,Does your grand daughter have access to that Hotmail account also make sure that this Toshiba laptop have internet connectivity.Also the model of the laptop you gave me seems incorrect could you please re-check it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes she does have access and internet,the model no i got off the label on the bottom of the machine it is a 500gb laptop it does not state a model no anywhere else.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Did she try the same password ***** the laptop she used for opening the outlook email account? if not please try it and let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It seems that my grand daughter opened the laptop and closed it without actually setting a pasword, does that help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It seems there is no password ***** the machine hence she cant get into it.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
If she didn't enter the password ***** you can leave the password ***** empty and press enter to login.Did she try that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes i have it in front of me and after pressing submit on the password ***** it goes to please enter your sign-in information and try again, which i have done several times.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Could you please try to reset the password ***** using this link https://account.live.com/ResetPassword.aspxOnce that password ***** ***** try that new password ***** the laptop make sure the laptop has internet access other wise it wont update the new password ***** the laptop.Let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can i do this on my laptop.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Yes you can do it on any laptop that has web browser and internet access.do not forget to note down the new password
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will get e mail from microsoft if we recover the account??, many thanks for your kind assistance.Confused.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome.If you use the link i gave above it will allow you to reset the password ***** itself.what happened when you try to reset the password?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They are asking for info from the laptop which we cannot retrieve, so therefore they will not let us in. no e mails were sent and thats what they are asking for.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
OK thank you for the update.In that case the only solution is to do a factory restore/reset this will erase everything in the PC and then re-install windows that came with the PC just like out of box condition.Do you want to do that process?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes please.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Please try the following.1.Make sure the laptop is turned off completely and connected to power adapter.2.Remove any peripherals such an external mouse, keyboard, monitor, USB flash drive etc3.Press and hold down the 0 (zero) key on the keyboard while powering up the laptop. Release it when the recovery warning screen appears.Let me know once you are in the recovery screen.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what does the recovery screen look like
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Please click on this link to see the recovery warning screen https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mytoshiba.com.au%2Ffile%2Fresource%2Ffile%2F16028%2FFile_16028.jpg&f=1
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i do not get this screen i get the same as before.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
You mean the login screen to windows ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has a box with a person shape in it, alongside my grand daughters name and e mail address plus a password ***** box exactly as before.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The screen is bright pink.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
OK one moment i will give you another instructions
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Press and hold SHIFT key on the keyboard then press the power icon on the lower right of the windows 10 login screen then click on restart without releasing the SHIFT key.see if that opens to a options screen with Continue,Troubleshoot and Turn off the PC options.let me know
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Here is the image of the power icon in the windows 10 login screen
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it has
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can i let go of the shift yet
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Yes please sorry to mention that you can let go of shift key once you are in the options screen.Now click on Troubleshoot then click on reset
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok done that, the finger says thanks
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome finger.Now select the option to remove everything then continue with resetting process
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Did it start the resetting process?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes we are currently at 3percent
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Good let it run make sure the power adapter is connected and on.I will be here so let me know the progress.When it reaches the process where it asks you to create a user name and password ***** me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
O.K will do now at 4pc
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
How far is the progress now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we are at 21pc
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Seems to be really slow.lets see
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Sir how far is the progress now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We are at 38pc and going slowly still.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Usually it takes only 30 to 45 min maximum to complete the entire process.Did this laptop came with windows 10 or windows 8 ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe its 10
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now at 49pc maybe it will go quicker after 50pc, we can at least hope so.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Most likely the techs in the place you purchased the upgraded it from windows 8 to windows 10 before handing it to you.Most of the upgraded windows 10 reset process takes a long time.If it loads windows 8 after this resetting do not do a upgrade installation to windows 10 because it currently have some issues like these and incompatibility issue with applications. Its 3AM over here so i have to leave soon so when it comes to creating a user name page like this,click on Create a new account then you will get a screen with user name,email address etc like this,do not enter any details instead click on sign in without Microsoft account.That will open a local account creation page like this,enter a user example John then password ***** it then re-enter the password ***** type a hint for the password (write down the password)then click on finish.That will be password ***** windows login on that Toshiba laptop.I hope you understand,if not let me know.What is the progress now?Sincerely,John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We are at 54pc
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the update.Did you check my above reply with instructions & images?Did you understand them? if you have any doubts please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not very computer literate but will do my best, ***** ***** now at 65pc
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Good.I will wait as much i can let me know once its done.Sincerely,John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thankyou so much.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
John we are in process of setting up, all is going well so far.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Good to know.Follow the above instructions when it comes to user account creation.Let me know if you have any doubts.Let me know once its done.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
John we have done it, we are in, and all looks well.Thankyou so much, you really helped.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Glad to know it worked all well finally.Thank you for your cooperation and patience too.Please rate me using the options just below this box or above this page, select the rating and click on submit, some bonus will be well appreciated.Have a Great God Blessed Day. If you need any help in the future please use this link to ask for me http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-john/
John, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: I have been in the IT field for the past 8 years. I also worked as a system admin for a construction company for 3 years.