Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

Can I retrieve browsing History form AOL Desktop 9.7?

Customer Question

Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hi there and welcome
To view all history available, in the desktop, Click the "Web" button located in the top menu if the browser is not currently open.
Click "View" from the browser's file menu and select "History." Your browsing history will appear in the left panel of the window.
This is everything available.
If you have any problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Richard,

Many thanks for your answer. I am using my wife's laptop - mine is under repair till tomorrow. She will not let me install software additional to what she has already. Hence no AOL Desktop till I get mine back tomorrow. So I won't be able to execute your instructions till then. I am not very good with computers and I may well have some queries if I encounter problems. If needs be, can I send you a message tomorrow as there's nothing more I can do today? What time zone are you on? - I'm GMT.

Best regards,

Geoff

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hi Geoff, this is no problem, I am in GMT+1I have marked the question to never close should you have any issues, but thats how you access the history, so do not envision any problems, just hope the repair store does not clear the history.As I said though, this question will never close, so no time limit on this.If you need anything else, please let me knowAnd if you can please rate my service by clicking one of the stars or smiley faces then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.Thank youRichard
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Richard - thanks for your swift response. There are a couple of things that worry me about your answer - when you refer to "desktop" in the first line, I hope and assume you're referring to the AOL Desktop 9.7 that I use on my own laptop? Also I can't remember the "Web" button you refer to. But if I'm right about "desktop" all will be revealed when I get the laptop back and open up AOL Desktop.

I'm sorry I haven't rated you yet - the website says to either give a rating OR Reply to Expert - at least that's how it reads to me - so as I'm replying to you I can't give you a rating as well. But let me say your service has been excellent and I see no reason not to give you 5 stars.

Correct me if I'm wrong and you'd like a rating at the end of every message you send - that's no problem!!

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes I am referring to that as the Desktop, the AOL Desktop
The rating still gets done, and you can reply to me after it, it is referring to the box that the box you see is for Rating OR messages, but you need to give a rating please else I am never credited.
If you can please rate that is appreciated, you only need to do it once.
Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I won't go over the problems I've had getting here, but HERE I am.

I'm sorry to tell you that I do have some issues, as follows: you say -

" Click the "Web" button located in the top menu if the browser is not currently open."

When you say 'the top menu', do you mean the toolbar, or the choices above the toolbar, at the very top of the page? In either case, there is no "Web" button.

I don't really understand what you mean by 'if the browser is not currently open' - For the sake of clarity, I'm using the AOL Browser now and have been since I logged on to AOL earlier this evening.

As I haven't been able to click the web button, when I pull down the File menu it doesn't display the option to "View".

So it's obviously important I navigate there. How else can I do that?

Also, could the "Web"button have been replaced by one of the Favorites I've installed in the Carousel settings?

Also remember I'm in the UK - would this be a different version AOL Desktop than USA?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, not sure why you are not seeing it but I am online Monday and will at no extra charge connect to your computer and show you how to do this. Please let me know when your on on Monday please and we will do this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Saturday 31st Oct

Hi Richard -

I'm back on my wife's laptop again as my own still has a problem and I cannot use it. I'm taking it back to the workshop on Monday - I hope!.

They ordered a new power socket which should have been delivered by courier on Friday (yesterday) - but DPD naused up and delivered it to the wrong depot. The guys at the workshop are hoping it will be delivered Monday.a.m.and they will take half an hour to fit the part - however they don't have a lot of faith in DPD who they won't use again.

So there's no guarantee you'll be able to connect to my computer on Monday, but I will update you as soon as I get news from the workshop.

The only reason I could use my laptop yesterday and send you my last message was because the workshop somehow managed to get the battery fully charged - I took it home, used it to send my message to you after having lots of hassle to get in touch and in less than two hours the battery was flat.
So the deal with the workshop is that they will call me Monday if and when the spare part arrives - they are only*****from me so I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed. But we may be looking at Tuesday to get the job done - I'll keep you posted.

Best regards,

Geoff.

P.S to JustAnswer - there's no point in opening my question to other experts - I won't be able to take any action till Monday or Tuesday of next week

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No problem Geoff, I am on Monday Tuesday, Thursday, Friday so anytime that suits you is good.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thankyou Richard,

I'm still awaiting a call from the workshop re: delivery. They have received an email from the courier that the jack will be delivered today - let's hope so!

Regards,

Geoff

18.45GMT - Richard, I have now got my laptop back and it's working - I don't know if this post will reach you but I have AOL Desktop open and AOL Brower too. I'd like to get this business finished tonight but won't be free till 8pm my time - 20.00GMT. I hope that suits you OK.

22.00 GMT - I won't be able to continue any computer work tonight -so suggest you contact me when you're free to do so -

Best regards,

Geoff Order ID:15754183-7

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
I am not on at 10pm GMT, I get off at 7pm, but send a message anytime before then and we can then do this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Terrific - I have a very busy morning but will get in touch later today - well before you finish at 7pm. Thanks for getting back to me, see you later -

Best regards,

Geoff

3.45pm Tues 3rd

Hi Richard,

I'm now free for you to connect with me now. How are you fixed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

3.45pm Tues 3rd

Hi Richard,

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Can you go to www.teamviewer.com
Click on Download for Free
Download and install the program and give me the ID and Password ***** please so I can connect
Do not close the program but leave it open else I will not be able to connect
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I already have Teamviewer installed - I've used it before to connect with a local IT guy - shall we use that - the icon's on my task bar?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok - I'll try -bear with me I'm lousy with computers - here goes

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I double clicked on the icon and got this message:

"Another instance of Teamviewer is already running

Please close this instance before restarting Teamviewer" - then below "Show running Teamviewer" or "OK".

I chose the 1st option and a Teamviewer window opend up - I just clicked on the cross - top right hand corner - that obviously didn't close the program, only the window. I've now got the same message - "Show running Teamiewer" - if I click that , how do I actually close the program taht's already running?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
By clicking on the X, but if it is already running then you do not need to run it, just click on it in your task bar and it will come up.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I've now got 2 Teaviewer icons on the taskbar - one is "live" the other isn't. Presume I go for the open ("live") one? The problem seems to be that Windows or whoever is insisting the program already running should be closed before allowing to access to Teamviewer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I've now got 2 Teamviewer icons on the taskbar - one is "live" the other isn't. Presume I go for the open ("live") one? The problem seems to be that Windows or whoever is insisting the program already running should be closed before allowing to access to Teamviewer.If I hover over the thumbnail icon and right click will I get the option to close the program Please tell me which of the 2 icons I should click on?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
I think its best you restart the computer then run teamviewer please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Before I do that - I right clicked on both icons - the live one says "Teamiewer 9" - the other one says "TeamviewerQS_en" or TeamviewerQ5_en" - I think it's the former. Shouldn't I uninstall Teamviewer and start afresh that way?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
if you wish, I just need you to run Teamviewer please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I opened the window of Teamviewer 9 which looks like the real deal - the top left is headed Remote Control, and undeneath Host meeting, bottom left

Schedule Meetings - top right Join Meeting then below that Meeting ID with a box to enter ID - then below that Your Name wih GEOFF-LENOVO in the box and below a blue button "Join meeting".

Bottom LH corner, small green button "Ready to connect (secure connection)

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
I need your ID and Password ***** so I can connect, you see it when you open Teamviewer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry Richard - I've given you all the info. i have - I presume my ID is GEOFF-LENOVO . I don't know my password.

I shall try and close again the other Teamviewer program that is running Teamviewer 9. That's what I'm asked to do when I try to open the other version I've referred to in a previous post.

It's no good - I close the window, the icon disappears from the task bar - I double click on the one remaining icon and the pop up continually re-appears saying another instance of teamviewer is already running -please close this instance before restarting Teamviewer. I give up. I believe you finish work at 7pm. I have to tke a break now and consider my options.

One final question, which may pre-empt attempts to open Teamviewer - on AOL Help all references to History of sites available to view are limited to 300 which I know how to access from the drop down arrow at the end of the address bar. To your knowledge, is any more History available by following the navigation you suggested in your original answer?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
not really sure why you have so many issues running this, but maybe this is simpler for you
Click this link, click I agree and run the file that is downloaded please
http://www.justanswer.co.uk/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=062604b3-f4ed-431b-b292-cda00e98c76f
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Have you finished your answer and all remote control activity?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes, I left messages ans waited for you to reply... but you did not so I closed the connection.
Did you see what I did to show the history?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, and it's a shame you didn't take more notice of the opening line of my question:

Already Tried:
I've checked the history using the dropdown facility (arrow to the right of and underneath the address bar)- but the history of websites I've visited seems very limited using AOL.

And my later remarks:

It would have saved a lot of time and effort for both of us if you'd simply pointed out at the beginning that I had already found the answer - the history is limited to the last 300 sites visited and access is simple and exactly where I had pointed to in my question.

And I think your final remark was unwarranted and quite unnecessary:

"not really sure why you have so many issues running this, but maybe this is simpler for you"

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
I wanted to be on the computer to make sure we were referring to the correct item, this is why I made the extra effort for this to go on your computer and confirm.
The remark was more on my side to try to understand what was going wrong with Teamviewer as I was trying to understand the issue being encountered.