dresteve2000
dresteve2000, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  10+ years of Desktop, Laptop, and Server troubleshooting and support.
71208907

Re Lenovo H30-00. I have disconnected the Wi Fi unit from the

Customer Question

Re Lenovo H30-00. I have disconnected the Wi Fi unit from the mini Pci slot and replaced it with a Startech mini Pci Firewire card adapter. This does not show up as a device on the computer and is not recognised by any video software. Am I missing something .
Mike Rendell
Category: Computer
Expert:  dresteve2000 replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help you with this issue.
To determine if Windows detects your expansion card, you need to check the Device Manager to see if the card is listed under the appropriate heading or listed with an error. An example of an appropriate heading for a USB controller card is Universal Serial Bus controllers. The expansion card is listed in Device Manager as the name of the chipset. To open Device Manager, press the Windows key + R, type devmgmt.msc, and press Enter.If you install a new PCI or PCI Express expansion card and Windows cannot detect the card, there are some quick tests that you can complete to identify the issue. Turn off the computer, unplug the power cord and remove the expansion card. Put the card back into the computer, making sure to apply firm pressure across the entire card. If the card is on an angle, it can cause issues and may not function properly. Note: This is a common problem with PCI Express x1 expansion cards.Move the expansion card to another PCI or PCI Express slot. Note: PCI Express cards work in PCI Express slots that are longer than the card and do not use the entire slot's capabilities. PCI Express expansion cards do not fit or work in PCI expansion slots, and PCI expansion cards do not fit or work in PCI Express expansion slots.Put a different expansion card in the slot that is experiencing the issue with the new expansion card.Put the new expansion card in another computer.If you completed the previous steps and determined that the problem is not with the card or expansion slots on the motherboard, update the motherboard's BIOS.
Please try the steps above, and let me know the results.
Experience: 10+ years of Desktop, Laptop, and Server troubleshooting and support.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I've looked in Device mgmt. Nothing listed within USB controller area.

IEEE 1394 Host Controller shows up and says 'working properly'. I've switched off computer a number of times since installation. Nothing.

I had initially tried it in the PCI Express slot. Nothing. That's when I removed the wifi unit - which had been working no problem - and put

the Firewire card in there instead. Again nothing. Last thing you mention is update the motherboards BIOS. How do I do this and what am I updating precisely.

Ta Mike Rendell

Updating the BIOS will sometimes allow your motherboard to recognize devices.
Are you familiar with how to update your motherboard BIOS?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm a semi expert with XP but not Windows 8. I'd need a basic help.

Understood, what is the make and model of your motherboard?
or make and model of your computer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Its a Lenovo H30-00 currently running with Windows 8.1

Okay great thank you for the information.
You can find the most up-to-date BIOS version on the following link. The page also has instructions on how to updated the BIOS once the file is downloaded:http://support.lenovo.com/th/th/products/desktops-and-all-in-ones/lenovo-h-series-desktops/lenovo-h30-00-desktop/downloads/DS101339
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'll have a look at that. Have to reply again later. Tks so far.

It is entirely possible that the card you have is dead and needs to be replaced, but updated the BIOS will help us determine if that is true.
You can also try that card in another computer to see if it will work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I downloaded that update and complied with the instructions up to PRESS FLASH to start Update. The software came back with

'' ERROR Romfile ROMID is not compatable with existing BIOS ROMID ''.

I dont have another computer to play with. This ones brand new.

I think I'll be going back to Windows XP where none of my hardware or software had any problems

Let me check something, one sec.
Can you double check the make and model?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes,

It's a LENOVO H30 - 00. I've now worked out how to get into the BIOS and how to get around it if required. TVM

When you tried to run the file, did you run it as an administrator?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

At no stage during the process from downloading to Error msg was I asked to indicate whether I was Administrator or otherwise. I therefore assume it was not a requirement

Ah Okay, I think one of the steps may have been skipped. When the file that you downloaded, you have to open it and let the files extract to the C:\SWTOOLS\FLASH\O07JYxxUSA\ folder. THen follow the following steps. Flash Under Operating System1. Please make note of any settings you have changed in the BIOS Setup utility. They may have to be re-entered after updating the BIOS.2. Open folder "C:\Windows\System32", locate the file "cmd.exe". Right-click on this application, select "Run as administrator" to open the "Command Prompt" with Administrator privilege.3. Input command "cd C:\SWTOOLS\FLASH\O07JYxxUSA\", where "xx" represents the two digit flash level.4. Then input command "flash.cmd" to start flash process.5. Update may take up to 2 minutes. Do not power off or restart the system during this procedure! After Windows update process ends, pelase reboot the system.6. You may see a POST error "0162: Setup data integrity check failure" after reboot. It is a normal behavior. Press F1 to enter BIOS Setup Utility. If you are using WIN8 64-bit OS, change the Exit->OS Optimized Defaults to "Enabled", otherwise, please change it to "Disabled". At last, press F10 to save your settings.7. The BIOS update process ends with above steps.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Right Try Again Give me a mo

Okay.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK . Tried again with the missing bits. All updated. Rebooted. No Post error shown on reboot. Therefore didnt go into BIOS. Had a quick look in Device Mgr No firewire card showing.

Okay, thank you for updating the BIOS.
Two things we can do at this point.1. Find another computer to test the card in to make sure it actually works.2. Return the card to where you purchased it from and buy a different card.
It's entirely possible that the card you bought simply is broken out of the box.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What exactly did that BIOS update do. I've seen on the net that there were particular problems with this makers card being blocked by Win8. Was this update to erase that block

The BIOS update was to make sure that your motherboard had the most up-to-date version of software to recognize hardware.
There may be a compatibility issue between the devices and Windows 8, but Windows 8 should at least recognize the hardware.
This is why I think the device may not actually work, and would need to be tested in another machine.