Jess M.
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Hardware & Software Specialist - 10yrs Exp, Web Designer & Developer
49766785

Do you offer excel tech support?

do you offer excel tech support?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.Yes, we can help you with your Excel problems. Can you please tell me what Excel problem are you having now so that I can assist you further?Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you with your Excel problem.Best regards,Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I need to link 2 columns in excel so that when I select a value from the drop down list in the first column it automatically populates the empty cell in the second column from a lookup table.

Example:
I’m trying to put together a worksheet that allows the user to select how many of product pumps they’re selling (1-60) from a drop down list which then correlates to a lookup table with the consumable values on it so that it automatically populates the cell. Eg. 1 Product Pump =£3,500, if I select 4 Product pumps from the drop down it automatically populates the cell with £14,000 on so on up to 60 Product Pumps = £210,000

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi,Thank you for writing back with that information.Can you please send me the sample Excel file that you are working on -- with all these drop down data so that I can build you the correct working formula?You can use the paper clip icon in the reply box to attach the sample Excel file.Thank you.Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It will only let me insert an image not a file, is there an email address?

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry about the issue with the attach feature. Unfortunately, we are not allowed to share email addresses here as it is against site policy. I suggest that you upload the sample file in this link below, and then give me the short download link:http://filesxpress.com/
Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 1 year ago.
if it is following linear math you can just do =A1*3500, assuming A1 contains your dropdown
Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 1 year ago.
and you can change the A1 to represent whatever your dropdown is ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------let me know if you have any questions, problems, or concernsPLEASE DON'T FORGET TO RATE SO I AM PAID FOR MY TIMEIT WILL NOT COST ANYTHING ADDITIONAL BEYOND THE VALUE OF YOUR QUESTIONTO RATE, CLICK THE STARS AT THE TOP OF YOUR SCREENDo not rate negatively, instead continue the conversation with me so I can address any of your concerns---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------if you have any questions in the future you can visit my profilehttp://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-1expert-2rulethemall/and ask a question right in my box,also you can put "PC Guy only" in your question title if you want to get to me.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I just saw the file you uploaded. Please give me a moment to check it and create the formula that you require.Thank you.Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have had another colleague of yours respond, so it confused me

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
I am very sorry about that. Please so not worry, I will stick with you until this is resolved. I am building the formula for you now.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi,Thank you for patiently waiting. I created a new sheet and called it SELECTION and place the selection cells there. The specific cell is A2 and it is a drop-down list for 1 up to 60 as per your requirement.When a number is ***** from the drop down list, the appropriate cost will be displayed.Here is the completed file:http://filesxpress.com/d-e79de42dI hope that helped.Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated!If you need further assistance, please do not rate me negatively with 1 or 2 faces. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further.Thank you!Best regards,Jess
Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 1 year ago.
if it is following linear mathyou can just do =A1*3500, assuming A1 contains your dropdownand you can change the A1 to represent whatever your dropdown is---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------let me know if you have any questions, problems, or concernsPLEASE DON'T FORGET TO RATE SO I AM PAID FOR MY TIMEIT WILL NOT COST ANYTHING ADDITIONAL BEYOND THE VALUE OF YOUR QUESTIONTO RATE, CLICK THE STARS AT THE TOP OF YOUR SCREENDo not rate negatively, instead continue the conversation with me so I can address any of your concerns---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------if you have any questions in the future you can visit my profilehttp://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-1expert-2rulethemall/and ask a question right in my box,also you can put "PC Guy only" in your question title if you want to get to me.
Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 1 year ago.
sorry, for the confusion, I was just trying to provide you a quick answer and didn't realize you were working with someone else, I realized based on your description that it was linear math, that 3500x1 = 3500, and 3500x60 = 210000, so a simple linear equation is all you needed
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
I am the original expert working with you on this question. Please download the completed file using the link I gave you so that you can check and verify if the approach I made for you is the one that you want to accomplish.
Keep me posted with your results so that I can assist you further.
Best regards,
Jess
Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 1 year ago.
if it is following linear mathyou can just do =A1*3500, assuming A1 contains your dropdownand you can change the A1 to represent whatever your dropdown is -----------------------------
Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 1 year ago.
you may be a little confused now about how to proceed and I apologize for this, my goal is to provide you with the best answer. Now two of us experts have provided you with answers, it doesn't matter who was first or last, it is up to you to choose which answer you think is the best for you, and rate that expert. My solution does not require a lookup table, so your file size will be smaller, load faster, and be more efficient. The other experts solution does require a lookup table so it will slow things down a bit. Both solutions will work and give you the correct result, so please choose which you think is best for your needs. And if there is anything else I can help you with don't hesitate to ask
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Please, I would like to continue working with Jess

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** still here. Have you checked the completed file I sent you? Please let me know if that fits your requirement.
I just used the 2 columns that you originally have as a data source for the lookup operation.
Keep me posted.
Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jess,

Yes I have downloaded the file and it's great. I have sent you 3 other messages regarding it though? I also wanted the formula so I can learn to do the same and replicate if need be

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi,Thank you for writing back. I have not seen the 3 messages that you mentioned. The last message that you posted was the one when you said you were confused.Do you want me to explain the procedures I took to put up that selection sheet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes thanks - the other 3 messages I sent where via your profile link as your colleague kept replying so I couldn't respond directly to you

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
I am very sorry but I will not be able to view those messages. Can you please recall them or retype them here? I can only see posts done through the reply box.Thank youJess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It's ok. I just needed to know what formula you used so I learn from what you did

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, here are the things I did to create the selection sheet.First, I decided to use a separate sheet for the solution even though it can be done in the same sheet where the 2 columns of data are stored. This is to isolate the source data with the data-entry section of the file.Now, do you want me to remotely access your computer so that I can actually demo to you the steps I did right there in your computer and then explain the formula? Remote access has an extra fee of 5 but I can show you the entire process :)Please let me know if you want the remote option or if you want me to just describe to you the process.Jess
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi,How is it going? Do you want to use the remote access option or do you want to follow the procedures only?Please let me know so that I can assist you further.Best regards,Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no it's fine thank you

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
I just sent you the formal offer for remote access. If you want the remote option, please accept it so that I can show you right there in your computer how the selection sheet was done, and how the formula was made or built.If you do not want the remote option, please let me know as well so that I can just provide the steps for you.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi,These are the steps I did to make the selection sheet I made for you to solve your problem:We will need to create the sheet so that the selection or data-entry is in a separate sheet and that the source data (your original 2 columns will not be visibleThere are only 2 cell involved here, the first cell is in A2 that is a drop-down box. The second is the cost calculator or selector.In order to create the drop-down box in cell A2, you need to do the following:Click on cell A2 (Selection Sheet) to select it.Click on the Data menuUnder Data Tools, click on Data Validation. See screen shot:http://filesxpress.com/d-5b174c2bIn the dialog box that opens, under ALLOW, select LISTFor the SOURCE, you just need to click on the small button at the right tip of the SOURCE box, then click on Sheet 1 and then select the range of cells that you want to use in the drop down.When done, click OK. You shall be able to test by clicking on A2 and see of the drop down works.The second part is the formula I used in B2. The formula is:=IF(A2="","",VLOOKUP(A2,Sheet1!A2:B61,2,FALSE))This formula first tests if A2 or the drop down box is blank. If it is blank, then B3 will show blank as well.When A2 is no longer blank, which means that a selection was made or a number is ***** in A2, it will then initiate the VLOOKUP formula.The vlookup formula used here is:VLOOKUP(A2,Sheet1!A2:B61,2,FALSE)This formula takes the value or number selected in A2, and then lookup the corresponding value of the second column. Whatever is shown in the second column (that is why 2 is there) will be displayed. The FALSE in the formula indicates that the lookup will look for exact match.I hope that helped.Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated!Thank you for using our service. If you need assistance in the future, you can request me any time by posting a new question starting with "For Jess M" so that I can assist you immediately.Best regards,Jess
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Computer Hardware & Software Specialist - 10yrs Exp, Web Designer & Developer