Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

Acct.(###) ###-#### yesterday, I had telephone call from someone

Customer Question

acct.(###) ###-####
yesterday, I had telephone call from someone purporting to be from talk talk who wanted to check my computer to ascertain whether it had been hacked as a result of your cyber attack.
he spent more than an hour checking and advised that my router had been corrupted and needed to be replaced which talk talk would do by 10.00 hours today. he then advised that I would be paid £500 in compensation and asked for details of my bank charge card which I refused to give and hung up.
Was this caller authetic? or was this a confidence trick? If the latter, can the caller have corrupted my computer in any way and if he has, what do i need to do about it?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
This was a confidence trick taking advantage of the TalkTalk hack.
They may have installed malware on your computer.
Which program did you install to allow them access to your computer?
And which version of windows do you have installed?
I can see you are a first time user to the site. What we do here is either a question and answer type of conversation or remote support where I would actually connect to the computer and have a look and attempt to fix the problem for you.
Remote support can save a lot of time if you are not comfortable performing repairs yourself. Sometimes even with instructions you can make a mistake and make things worse.
I will send an offer through for remote support and should you accept I will connect and see what is going on and fix the issue. Otherwise we can continue to talk like this but I will need to ask a number of other questions and try and walk you through some steps.
Both options are 100% guaranteed by the way. Remote is just quicker and avoids the risk of you making a mistake and doing something wrong.
If you want remote click get extra help. If not simply reply to me.
Thanks,
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Can you go to www.teamviewer.com
Click on Download for Free
Download and install the program and give me the ID and Password ***** please so I can connect
Do not close the program but leave it open else I will not be able to connect
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I cannot see ID or Password

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
you need to install the program Teamviewer please, then one you have, it will give you the ID and Password ***** give to me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am not aware of downloading any programmes

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok... you need to do the instructions I gave please so I can check your computer for any malware installed.
I will repeat the instructions
Can you go to www.teamviewer.com
Click on Download for Free
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am having problems installing the teamviewer programme

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
whats the error or issue you encounter when installing it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Teamviewer programme now appears to be downloaded but it has not given me a password

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, you now need to run it after downloading please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My computer is installed with Windows Vista Home premium

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes that is not problem, now run the file you just downloaded please to install Teamviewer.
Then it will give you the ID and Password.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have been unable to register it due to a fault with my keyboard; I will have to replace my keyboard

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Richard,

Sorry for the holdup but I had a friend who thought he was an expert and deleted the "teamviewer" programme and on top of that my keyboard went on the blink. I have now installed a new keyboard and assume it will be necessary to download the programme again.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes it will, please do the below instructions again
Can you go to www.teamviewer.com
Click on Download for Free
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ID David Dawson

Password ***** I formed:- egghedno21982

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, this is not correct, the ID will be a 9 digit number.