IT Miro
IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

On the right hand side of my DELL XPS M1730 an amber

On the right hand side of my DELL XPS M1730 an ***** *****ght is flashing and when I checked the battery charge it was 99% and today it is showing 98%. I believe the battery might need replacing, if so, where can I buy a new battery and what will the cost be?
The laptop is approximately 5 years old.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Yours sincerely
Miss Joyce Clay
Category: Computer
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Hello! My name is***** the ***** *****ght flash the same when your computer is connected to the electrical outlet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I always keep it connected to the electrical outlet. I do not remove the laptop from my desk.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
So, there is no difference in the battery light? It flashes the same, no matter if it is connected to the electrical outlet or running on battery power only?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is correct.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
OK, hold on.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Here is the meaning of the various battery light statuses: Alternately blinking ***** *****ght and blue light - an unauthenticated or unsupported, non-Dell AC adapter is attached to the laptopAlternately blinking ***** *****ght with steady blue light - temporary battery failureConstantly blinking ***** *****ght - fatal battery failureLight off - battery in full charge mode with AC adapter presentBlue light on - battery in charge mode with AC adapter present
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
So, it looks like there is a problem with the battery you are using.I remember seeing such flashing on my friend's Dell laptop, but he told me that his battery continued to operate normally even though there was flashing.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
I think the battery cells themselves are fine, but the battery chip that is used to check the battery status is faulty. Since the computer reads the information off the chips, it reports the whole battery is failing. For that reason, you can continue to use the current battery. However, if that flashing is disturbing you, you can order a new battery.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for this information I will consider ordering a new battery as the flashing is disturbing me and would not like to loose any documents etc.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
OK. You can order one from Amazon. It costs about $30. See link:http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=DELL+XPS+M1730+battery&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3ADELL+XPS+M1730+battery