IT Miro
IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

Will Norton Internet security stop me utilising my new Seagate

Will Norton Internet security stop me utilising my new Seagate Backup Plus Slim Portable Storage Data unit as every time I try to use it I get a message from Windows 7 stating that the driver cannot be found & therefore installed quoting “Code 28”.
Have been in contact with Seagate who say “Unfortunately the Code 28 error is a Microsoft message regarding the Driver for the attach drive. Since the un-install and re-install of the Driver did not solve the issue I suggest you contacting Microsoft about the problem.”
I have Windows 7 Home Premium installed on my PC.
Any suggestions re Norton Internet Security – is the Firewall stopping me or what as I do not particularly want to try switching this off & trying the Seagate unit.
Have been to various forum discussions & tried their suggestions but to no avail.
Hope you can help.
Regards,
Bill Thomson
Category: Computer
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Hello! My name is***** don't think Norton Internet Security caused this problem since I also have it installed on my computer and my 1 TB Seagate Backup Plus works normally. Something else is not working. Have you tested the Seagate Backup Plus drive on another computer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No as I only have 1 PC
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
OK. Do you remember when the problem first started to happen?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have never been able to use it as it did not work from the first time I tried it after purchase
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Do you have any other external hard disk drive, other than Seagate Backup Plus?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I have a Clickfree Automatic backup model HD710 which I have had for a number of years (approx 8 years) and it work perfectly well. Went for the Seagate to be a bit more up to date & more storage.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
I suspect something is wrong with the Seagate Backup Plus itself since the same USB drivers should be used for both Clickfree Automatic Backup and Seagate Backup Plus. However, you can start Windows 7 into Safe Mode and check if the Seagate Backup Plus will work there. To do that, restart your computer and then keep pressing the F8 key rapidly until you see the Advanced Boot Options menu. On that menu, select Safe Mode. Log in to your Windows account. You will notice that there is a black background and that most Windows 7 functions are disabled. That is normal for Safe Mode. USB devices can work there, so please check with both Clickfree Automatic Backup and Seagate Backup Plus.To exit Safe Mode, just restart your computer and let it boot normally. Let me know the results here. I will be standing by.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will have a go but as I haven't done this before I am printing you instructions. Will get back as soon as possible.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
No problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried it in Safe Mode (No Internet connection). Clickfree was recognised but did not run (to be expected?) but the Seagate Backup unit did not run.
In safe mode under Device Manager - Other devices have 2 off
1 BUP Slim RD (usual comment of driver not installed) - Seagate Unit (?)
2 Mass Storage Device (Clickfree presumably?) (Status is not available for this device in Safe Mode)
Does this look like a faulty unit?
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Based on those results, I'd say it's faulty; however, to be 100% sure, it would be great if you could test the Seagate Backup Plus on another computer. Is it possible for you to do it on your friend's or neighbor's or anyone else's computer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Think that I will take it back to Currys/PC World & let them try it on another computer & get another one - it was only bought 10 days ago so can exchange or money back.
Thanks for your elp anyway.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Yes, exchange would be wise. All USB external hard disk drivers are plug-any-play, just like mouse and keyboard. You don't need to manually install any drivers since they are included in Windows.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
If there is anything else I can help you with, let me know. Regards,IT Miro