Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I have Acer Aspire Z5771. Since updates it will not let me

Customer Question

I have Acer Aspire Z5771. Since updates it will not let me log on. It is a touchscreen. Help please?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
What exactly happens when you try to sign on?
And which version of windows is it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's windows 7. Just updated apparently. Gets to log on screen but doesn't allow password. I've been informed it's due to the touchscreen and updates.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
First, can you turn off the computer
turn it on and keep tapping F8 until you get to a menu.
Choose Safe Mode.
This should get you into Windows in Safe Mode (you wont have internet but it is not needed for this).
Once in, click Start, and type in
System Restore
Press enter and follow the onscreen instructions to perform a Restore from the last Restore point.
Once completed, tell me if you can now start into Windows normally please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
once it gets into safe mode the mouse doesn't work and the screen seems to freeze. I've tried the other safe modes and they get me to log in screen where I can't enter password
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't system restore because the same happens and the mouse freezes and it won't let me use the enter button
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
tried the last point restore and the same thing happens with log in page.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, power it off
Then hold ALT and with it held down power it on and keep tapping F10 until you get to the recovery manager
Can you get to this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
on the erecovery page
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
shall I restore operating system with retain user data?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You may have saved my job today!!
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, you are going to have to attempt a factory restore.
Choose the option to retain your data
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will take a while I think, but I'll let you know
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, so it's now given me a message saying setup can't complete installation in safe mode and to restart computer but restarting means it comes on in safe mode
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, first, did it complete the recovery?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And starting windows normally it says it can't complete the installation and to install windows on the computer I'm to restart the installation. I can say I think it did, but I'm not sure as I had to go and get my son. It was doing It fine when I left though
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, try to run the installation again and tell me if it now installs please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
from the disk?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes, like we did before.
power it off
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its gone to windows recovery error where it wants me to start it up in safe mode or normal, but then it doesn't let me do anything after that
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Ok, this confirms the problem
It is the motherboard or hard drive that has faulted.
We have ruled out all other causes for this, it is a hardware fault.
I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the computer to have a diagnostics performed and the faulting component replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.
I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.