Mike the Mac Medic
Mike the Mac Medic, Consultant
Experience:  Over 20 years experience with Apple/Windows desktop publishing, design, troubleshooting
25267123

I have an HP laptop operating Windows10, using Open Office

I have an HP laptop operating Windows10, using Open Office Database attempting to print Address labels having successfully created a table of addressees. I have been unable to get further than opening the Labels dialog box iaw stage 1 of the O/O Help item "Printing Address Labels", because the Database and Table boxes will not accept the Table identities when I try to insert them. Thus the later stages of the label printing process cannot access the address data. Is this a known problem and is there a fix?
Colin FS
Category: Computer
Expert:  Mike the Mac Medic replied 1 year ago.
Are these Avery labels?
Expert:  Joel Kalman replied 1 year ago.
Your problem is similar to MailMerge in Microsoft Word. I am familiar with that application. I am downloading OpenOffice, so that I can recreate your scenario with printing labels. Please standby, and I will notify you when I am ready to address your problem...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mike, JoelK, Please note the change of email address for this query from***@******.*** to***@******.*** .
And yes, they are Avery labels (L7163) that I am using.Customer
I suggest you try this software instead: http://www.avery.com/avery/en_us/Templates-%26-Software/Software/Avery-Design--Print.htm If you must use Open Office we can do that too but this is much easier.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I have installed the Avery program you suggest and attempted to use it, without success. The difficulty appears to be that it does not work with .odt files. I have an Open Office 4 Database address file containing some 120 addresses, which is what I want to print from, and I am not anxious to retype all that info into another form. What I want to do is to fix the problem with the label printing process in O/O Database and I should be most grateful if you could resolve that.Customer
Just save your data in OO as .csv then it should work fine. If you must use OO can you send me the odt. file?Go here with any web browser:http://tinyurl.com/upload-to-mikemacmedicChoose Select Files and navigate to your file(s) to upload or you can also just drag the file(s) to the Upload box, then click on Start Uploading Files or Cancel to stop.
I also need your Avery label number
Mike the Mac Medic, Consultant
Experience: Over 20 years experience with Apple/Windows desktop publishing, design, troubleshooting
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mike, I am floundering with this, and have decided to give up the struggle. More importantly, I now think it probable that the underlying problem may be incompatibility of at least some aspects of my version (4.1.1.) of OO with Windows 10. I have tried upgrading OO to the latest version (4.1.2.), but I see that it only quotes compatibility with Windows 7/8 and earlier, and in any event my system won't load it.
For what it's worth, I have not found it possible to convert the .odt address Table to the .csv form. The OO Tale Wizard saves each complete address in .odt form as one moves on to the start of the next entry, and I haven't found a way of converting the completed table.
In the long run, I'll probably ditch OO and change to Microsoft Office. For now, we can always address the Christmas Card envelopes by hand !
Meanwhile, I thank you for your efforts, and hope that your next client will know more of what he's about than I appear to do.
Customer