Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

Lap top wont let me click on anything high lights it but wont

Customer Question

lap top wont let me click on anything high lights it but wont open
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
What is the message you get when it fails to open? and in which program is this occurring? eg: Outlook 2010? Internet Explorer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
nothing opens including word my files internet properties when you right click even when you plug usb stick nothing happens need to access power point presentation from my files
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
When did this problem start? and which version of windows are you using?
I can see you are a first time user to the site. What we do here is either a question and answer type of conversation or remote support where I would actually connect to the computer and have a look and attempt to fix the problem for you.
Remote support can save a lot of time if you are not comfortable performing repairs yourself. Sometimes even with instructions you can make a mistake and make things worse.
I will send an offer through for remote support and should you accept I will connect and see what is going on and fix the issue. Otherwise we can continue to talk like this but I will need to ask a number of other questions and try and walk you through some steps.
Both options are 100% guaranteed by the way. Remote is just quicker and avoids the risk of you making a mistake and doing something wrong.
If you want remote click get extra help. If not simply reply to me.
Thanks,
Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Can you go to www.teamviewer.com
Click on Download for Free
Download and install the program and give me the ID and Password ***** please so I can connect
Do not close the program but leave it open else I will not be able to connect
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi richard its my daughters laptop that you need to connect to not this one im working on
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, do the instructions then on your daughters computer please so I can connect to it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
her computer wont do anything wont click on internet can you connect to hers another way
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No sorry, it has to be via a program.
Which version of windows is she running and when did the problem start?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
windows 8 and this morning when she switched it on was working fine before
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, power off the computer.
Power it on and at the sign in screen, holds SHIFT and with it held down, click the power icon then click restart.
Keep shift held down until it has restarted, and your at a menu.
Then release troubleshoot, advance, system restore and perform a system restore from the last restore point listed.
Let this complete and tell me please if you still have the issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
restore system files and settings "no restore points have been created on your computer system drive back and next button blurred out only thing to choose was cancel
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, choose then to cancel then choose Safe Mode with Command Prompt to print you to a screen you can type.
Tell me when you are there please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there now
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, type in
sfc /scannow
press enter and when it has completed, type in
chkdsk /r
Press enter.
It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.
chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.
Please note, while this normally only takes 10 minutes to run, it can take at times number of hours if windows encounters many issues. If this is occurring it is critical to let this complete as it means you have corruption on the hard drive that it needs to fix. Even if it looks like the scan is not progressing, it is, please just let it run to completion. Windows will then start when it has.
Then tell me if it is now functioning correctly.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the question for the Y answer is not there its says ; the type of file system is NTFS. cannot lock current drive.windows cannot run disk checking on this volume because it is write protected....now therre is the icon to write something else
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, it can take a minute to ask and it would normally always ask
First, did the SFC /scannow command complete?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes it did complete and then showed windows resource protection could not perform requested operation
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, type
chkdsk /r
Press enter again and tell me exactly what now happens please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this type of file sytem is NTFS cannot lock current drive windows cannot run disk checking on this volume because it is write protected now has X:\windows\system32>
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, something is going very wrong with the hard drive.
But restart the computer and tell me if 1) the scan runs and 2) the problem is still there or not.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
from this black typing screen how do we restart it do we ext out
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Type in
shutdown /r
And press enter
And it will then restart.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
"shutdown" is not recognised as an internal or external command,operable programme or batch file
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, then its not processing commands correctly or you forgot the space before the /
But hold the power button down till it turns off then turn it on please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its now working richard thank you my daugher has her uni work back, thank god we got there eventually
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
your most welcome.