Quiksilver07070
Quiksilver07070, Consultant
Experience:  Consultant within every computer and networking category. Troubleshoot and maintain various operating systems. Sales Engineering.
63493917

My laptop, a Vostro 1510 with Windows XP is exhibiting a

Customer Question

My laptop, a Vostro 1510 with Windows XP is exhibiting a Locked message, reading `This computer is in use & has been locked. Only JOHN-Vostro' or an administrator can unlock the computer.'
I was never supplied with a password ***** Windows XP, & it doesn't respond to any variants of my other passwords. How can I unlock it?
John ********
Category: Computer
Expert:  Quiksilver07070 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for choosing JUSTANSWER.com It might be possible that you have contracted a virus, and the virus HIJACKS your admin controls, and does its best to lock you out. DO you have Antivirus Software?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had AV software provided by my organisation. I can't check if it was kept up to date, as the address & data are in my blocked laptop.!
Well, if you are NOT able to access the DESKTOP and run programs, because its locked, then you only have 1 choice to REgain access. YOu have to BOOT into a different program, that allows you to check for virus's, and/or malware. Such as COMBOFIX If you find nothing, then you need to BOOT the windows install disc, and either REinstall windows, or REPAIR windows. Both are done from the Windows Install Discs.
Also, are you trying to log on to this computer LOCALLY, or to a DOMAIN?If this computer came from your company, it might be joined to a domain, and the local admin rights were password ***** before you ever got the computer in your possession. Furthermore.....where did you GET this computer? Is it a discarded computer that your company no longer wants? Or how did you come about getting this computer? Knowing WHERE you got it, will help me to determine HOW a password ***** have gotten on it.