Jess M.
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Hardware & Software Specialist - 10yrs Exp, Web Designer & Developer
49766785
Computer

When attempting to play video via Windows 10 'Films and TV'

programme, get 'the remote procedure... Show More
programme, get 'the remote procedure call failed' windows 10 major update just processed
Category: Computer
Show Less
replied 1 year ago.
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.I am very sorry about your issues. Have you restarted the computer after installing updates? If not, please restart the computer and then test if the problem is gone.Also, please check and ensure that your computer date, time and region settings are correct.Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.Best regards,Jess
Customer reply replied 1 year ago.
Rebooted at installation, date and time are fine
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for writing back with that information.The next procedure is to clear the TEMP folder. Here are the steps:Press the Windows key + R.In the Run box, type Temp and then press Enter.Select all files and folders, right-click them and then tap or click Delete. If you are notified that some files or folders are in use, select Skip.After deleting the contents if the Temp folder, please test if the problem is gone.Keep me posted with your results so that I can help you further.Best regards,Jess
Customer reply replied 1 year ago.
No change...
Next please reset your default libraries. Here are the steps:Open Windows Explorer.In the left-hand pane, tap or click Libraries. If you don't see "Libraries" listed, select View at the top of the screen. On the Navigation pane menu, make sure that Show all folders is selected.Right-click (or tap and hold) each library (Documents, Pictures, Music and Videos) and then tap or click Delete.In the left-hand pane, right-click (or tap and hold) Libraries and then click Restore default libraries.After doing the steps above, please RESTART your computer then test if the problem is gone this time.Jess
Customer reply replied 1 year ago.
Will this not delete my files too?
Deleting and re-creating the libraries does not affect the data in the libraries. These steps will not delete your files.
But to be sure, you can COPY or MAKE A BACKUP of those files
Before you do those steps
For instance, you can create a folder in your Desktop and call it BACKUP. Then copy of move the folders in your libraries folders (Documents, Pictures, Music and Videos) to the BACKUP folder then proceed to the steps I gave you.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago.
Done and no change. Internet responses suggest it is an issue with RPC Services & RPC Locator in Services (?)
Is the error saying that those services are not running?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago.
No, the issue is as described 'the remote procedure call failed' . Others with the same issue point to these services being the reason video does not play, though the settings look to me as described in these responses
Customer reply replied 1 year ago.
Music does not play through the system music player either. But no reason given, it just does not load
Please do the following:Press Windows logo + R to get the RUN boxIn the RUN dialog, type "services.msc" (without the quotes) then click OK or press EnterClick on the Standard tabScroll down and locate these 3 items:Remote Procedure Call (RPC)Remote Procedure Call (RPC) LocatorRPC Endpoint MapperPlease make sure that all these services are running and set to Automatic. To run it, right click on the service then click Start. To set a service to run automatically, right click on the service, click Properties. There in the Startup type, select Automatic.Restart the computer then test.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago.
All set as Running automatic, no change
Did you restart the computer?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Thank you for that confirmation.
The next thing that we can do to fix this problem is to reset your Internet Explorer settings to default.
Please follow the steps described in this link below:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/923737
After resetting the Internet Explorer settings to default, restart the computer then test if the problem is gone.
Keep me posted.
Jess
Customer reply replied 1 year ago.
HiNot using IE, but Microsoft Edge in Windows 10
Yes, I understand but still your Windows 10 has Internet Explorer. Please do these steps instead:Close all your web browser and other programsOpen Control PanelLocate and open Internet OptionsClick the Advanced tabAt the bottom group, named Reset Internet Explorer settings, click on the RESET buttonWhen prompted, click on the RESET button again selecting all options on the prompt.Do these reset steps at least two timesRestart the computer then test if the problem is gone this time.Keep me posted with your results so that I can assist you further.Best regards,Jess
Customer reply replied 1 year ago.
HiNo change
Can you please tell me the exact error message that you are getting including the error code?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago.
HiThe error message box has the path of the video u\videos\name of video and 'The remote procedure call failed'
Can you capture a screen shot and then attach it here when you reply using the paper clip icon?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago.
Here it is
Thank you for the screen shot. Please give me a moment. Also, do you want to use another video player that is is stable compared to Windows Media Player instead?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago.
Hi ***** already know how to do that, I was seeking to get the default, Windows 10 applications doing what they are supposed to do and what they were doing until recently
When was the last time that you were still able to play your movies without this problem?Also, please try to open the program first (like Windows Media Player or the Films and TV app) and after opening it, using the File menu to open the movie that you want to play.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago.
A few days ago I suppose, but as I said I already know going back to Windows Media Player works
And the problem is when using the app called Films and TV Program? Is that the name of the app that you are trying to use to play your movies?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago.
Yes and Groove Music for music files
Ok, please open the Films and TV Programme app first, then use the BROWSE or File menu to locate and load the movie you want to play.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago.
Oops, It's no longer loading...
Customer reply replied 1 year ago.
Nor is Groove music
Oh ok. I believe the app itself is corrupted. Can you please uninstall the Films and TV Programme app and reinstall it after a restart?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago.
Both are greyed out and cannot be removed
I believe their services are running in the background. Please try to right-click on the app in the Start menu and then see if there is an Uninstall option
Customer reply replied 1 year ago.
No there is not
Customer reply replied 1 year ago.
Surely it has to be linked to Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
2.Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator
3.RPC Endpoint Mapper
These apps loaded before the changes suggested, even if they didn't work
Please restart the computer, then DO NOT open or run the Films and TV Programme app. Then in the start menu, locate the app listed there, then right click on it, then Uninstall.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago.
They are not uninstallable
No, you can uninstall them using the PowerShell.Please do these steps:Open PowerShell as administrator. Open the Start menu, search for “PowerShell,” right-click the PowerShell shortcut, and select “Run as administrator.” Agree to the UAC prompt.When you get the powershell window or applet, please copy and paste this command there:Get-AppxPackage *zunemusic* | Remove-AppxPackageThen press Enter to execute. Tell me if Grove Music is removed.Jess
Customer reply replied 1 year ago.
Gone
Thank you. Now, please uninstall the TV and movie app using the same procedures. But this time, use this command:Get-AppxPackage *zunevideo* | Remove-AppxPackageAfter the uninstall of the 2 apps, please restart the computer and let me know.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago.
Restarted and both gone
Good. Now, please go to Microsoft store and search for Groove Music and install it. Let me know if you find it there.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago.
Back, but not loading. What should Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
2.Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator
3.RPC Endpoint Mapper
Show now
Did you also install the Films and TV Programme app?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago.
Hurrah, Vidoe is back!
Wow! I am glad it is now working!Have you also checked the audio if Groove Music is also working this time?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago.
No, it is still not loading , that's why I was wondering about Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
2.Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator
3.RPC Endpoint Mapper
Ok, please open Services window again and set the following:Remote Procedure Call (RPC) = AutomaticRemote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator = ManualRPC Endpoint Mapper = AutomaticRestart the computer and test. I hope that helped. Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated!If you need further assistance, please do not rate me negatively with 1 or 2 faces. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further.Thank you!Best regards,Jess
Customer reply replied 1 year ago.
Remote Procedure Call (RPC) = Automatic Running
•Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator = Manual Not Running?
•RPC Endpoint Mapper = Automatic Greyed out Running Automatic
Ok, that is the default settings now. Please restart and test your movies
Customer reply replied 1 year ago.
HiVideo fine, music not loading
Oh ok. Please try to open Groove first, then load the audio file and see if it loads
Customer reply replied 1 year ago.
It loads, but doing a search throws me out
Customer reply replied 1 year ago.
or clicking on settings
Please use the File menu to locate the music to play
Customer reply replied 1 year ago.
Same effect
Ok, please uninstall Groove again and then restart the computerUse this command in the PowerShell command window:Get-AppxPackage *zunemusic* | Remove-AppxPackageAfter removing Groove music, restart and then test if movies still play.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago.
HiVideo still going
Geed to hear that. Now, please close the video app and reinstall the built in apps using the following command in PowerShell:Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers| Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}That is, open PowerShell as Administrator then copy and paste the command above. That shall install or reinstall the apps including Groove music. Restart the computer and then test both audio and video.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago.
HIFilm & TV has not reinstalled: Groove Music as beforeShould they both be reinstalled through the store?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago.
GM not loading
Yes, they can be reinstalled using the command I gave you and through the store.The Film and TV was not reinstalled since it was already installed.Is your video still working?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago.
No, As I said it has corrupted/dissapeared
Customer reply replied 1 year ago.
As has the Store!
You just mentioned it did not reinstall but you did not uninstall it so I was thinking it is still in your system.At this point please remove the 2 apps again using the PowerShell commands I gave you.After the uninstall, please restart the computerAfter restarting, please try to reinstall both from the store.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, it has got a lot worse! All these other files have corrupted, including photo viewer, store, calculator, Maps etc
Customer reply replied 1 year ago.
I do not have a store
Ok, please uninstall ALL of the pre-installed apps. Please open PowerShell as an Administrator and then execute the following commands:Get-AppxPackage *3dbuilder* | Remove-AppxPackageGet-AppxPackage *windowsalarms* | Remove-AppxPackageGet-AppxPackage *windowscalculator* | Remove-AppxPackageGet-AppxPackage *windowscommunicationsapps* | Remove-AppxPackageGet-AppxPackage *windowscamera* | Remove-AppxPackageGet-AppxPackage *zunemusic* | Remove-AppxPackageGet-AppxPackage *windowsmaps* | Remove-AppxPackageGet-AppxPackage *zunevideo* | Remove-AppxPackageGet-AppxPackage *bingnews* | Remove-AppxPackageGet-AppxPackage *people* | Remove-AppxPackageGet-AppxPackage *windowsphone* | Remove-AppxPackageGet-AppxPackage *photos* | Remove-AppxPackageGet-AppxPackage *windowsstore* | Remove-AppxPackageGet-AppxPackage *bingsports* | Remove-AppxPackageGet-AppxPackage *soundrecorder* | Remove-AppxPackageGet-AppxPackage *bingweather* | Remove-AppxPackageGet-AppxPackage *xboxapp* | Remove-AppxPackageAfter the uninstall, please restart the computer and let me know when you are back. Jess
Customer reply replied 1 year ago.
Well most of that was crap I've never used and don't need to put on again Unfortunately, Alarm, Calculator, Camera, people, photos and store that I do use, 'Could not find the path specified
Ok. But were you able to execute the commands I gave you above?The error just indicates that they were uninstalled already.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago.
Yes, the rest went through fine Reboot?
Ok, please reboot so that we can reinstall them
Customer reply replied 1 year ago.
Rebooted, 11 Items under 'Other' still remain
Ok. This time, please empty your Temp folder. Here are the steps again:Press the Windows key + R.In the Run box, type Temp and then press Enter.Select all files and folders, right-click them and then tap or click Delete. If you are notified that some files or folders are in use, select Skip.After deleting the contents if the Temp folder, please test if the problem is gone.Keep me posted with your results so that I can help you further.Best regards,Jess
Customer reply replied 1 year ago.
Still there, can you see them in my earlier screen pic
Yes
Please empty the Temp folder first before we reinstall them
Please tell me when done. The steps I gave you were to uninstall them. If the shortcuts are still there, then that could be a reference or registry remnants
Customer reply replied 1 year ago.
Temp file emptied
Ok this time, please reinstall the apps using PowerShell.Open PowerShell as Administrator and then run this command (copy and paste to PowerShell):Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers| Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}
Customer reply replied 1 year ago.
Windows PowerShell
Copyright (C) 2015 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers| Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.Inst
allLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}
Add-AppxPackage : Deployment failed with HRESULT: 0x80073D06, The package could not be installed because a higher
version of this package is already installed.
Windows cannot install package Microsoft.NET.Native.Runtime.1.1_1.1.23118.0_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe because it has version
1.1.23118.0. A higher version 1.1.23406.0 of this package is already installed.
NOTE: For additional information, look for [ActivityId] 8ea0bbf5-21b9-0006-41c3-a08eb921d101 in the Event Log or use
the command line Get-AppxLog -ActivityID 8ea0bbf5-21b9-0006-41c3-a08eb921d101
At line:1 char:37
+ ... s| Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.I ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (C:\Program File...ppXManifest.xml:String) [Add-AppxPackage], Exception
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : DeploymentError,Microsoft.Windows.Appx.PackageManager.Commands.AddAppxPackageCommandAdd-AppxPackage : Deployment failed with HRESULT: 0x80073D06, The package could not be installed because a higher
Windows cannot install package Microsoft.NET.Native.Runtime.1.1_1.1.23118.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe because it has version
NOTE: For additional information, look for [ActivityId] 8ea0bbf5-21b9-0006-4bc3-a08eb921d101 in the Event Log or use
the command line Get-AppxLog -ActivityID 8ea0bbf5-21b9-0006-4bc3-a08eb921d101
At line:1 char:37
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : DeploymentError,Microsoft.Windows.Appx.PackageManager.Commands.AddAppxPackageCommandAdd-AppxPackage : Deployment failed with HRESULT: 0x80073CF6, Package could not be registered.
Merge Failure : error 0x80070003 : Cannot register the Microsoft.People_10.0.3030.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe package because
there was a merge failure with the following file: C:\Program
Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.People_10.0.3030.0_neutral_split.scale-100_8wekyb3d8bbwe\resources.pri
NOTE: For additional information, look for [ActivityId] 8ea0bbf5-21b9-0006-bbc7-a08eb921d101 in the Event Log or use
the command line Get-AppxLog -ActivityID 8ea0bbf5-21b9-0006-bbc7-a08eb921d101
At line:1 char:37
+ CategoryInfo : WriteError: (C:\Program File...ppXManifest.xml:String) [Add-AppxPackage], IOException
Merge Failure : error 0x80070003 : Cannot register the Microsoft.Windows.Photos_15.1026.13580.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
package because there was a merge failure with the following file: C:\Program
Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.Windows.Photos_15.1026.13580.0_neutral_split.scale-100_8wekyb3d8bbwe\resources.pri
NOTE: For additional information, look for [ActivityId] 8ea0bbf5-21b9-0006-adc8-a08eb921d101 in the Event Log or use
the command line Get-AppxLog -ActivityID 8ea0bbf5-21b9-0006-adc8-a08eb921d101
At line:1 char:37
Merge Failure : error 0x80070003 : Cannot register the Microsoft.WindowsCalculator_10.1510.13020.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.WindowsCalculator_10.1510.13020.0_neutral_split.scale-100_8wekyb3d8bbwe\resources.pri
NOTE: For additional information, look for [ActivityId] 8ea0bbf5-21b9-0006-bbc8-a08eb921d101 in the Event Log or use
the command line Get-AppxLog -ActivityID 8ea0bbf5-21b9-0006-bbc8-a08eb921d101
At line:1 char:37
+ CategoryInfo : WriteError: (C:\Program File...ppXManifest.xml:String) [Add-AppxPa
Can I remotely access your computer so that I can directly check and fix the issue while you watch?Remote access is an optional additional service offer with a minimal one-time flat fee ($15) regardless of how long it will take me to fix the problem. We can resume any time without additional cost. It is safe as you will be watching your screen and we can chat right there, and it will be a faster mode of help.Please let me know if you want this remote option.Best regards,Jess
Customer reply replied 1 year ago.
Sure, I need to go to bed soon!
Thank you for your permission to do remote access. I will now send the formal additional service offer of remote access. Please accept it so that I can create our remote session. After accepting it, you will then receive the procedures to join me in the remote session.
Thank you for accepting my additional service offer of remote access so that I can help you directly in fixing your problem. For me to remote in, we need a remote access tool. Please follow the steps below to join me in the remote session. 1. Please click on this link:http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=10b037a8-05d8-419b-9c38-5e44864295762. In that page, please click on the green I Agree button3. Then download the remote tool when prompted.4. Run the downloaded remote tool to join me in the remote session. I will be waiting for you there.Thank you. If you are stuck in any of the steps, please let me know so that I can help you further.Best regards,Jess
Customer reply replied 1 year ago.
The restore did it . Will need to monitor what happens on next upgrade...
Wow! Thank you very much for letting me know. I am glad that your videos and audio files are now working back!If you need further assistance in the future, please let me know so that I can assist you further.Best regards,Jess