Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

Critical error on start menu. using windows 10. how can i resolve

Customer Question

critical error on start menu. using windows 10. how can i resolve this please?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Can you do the following please
Press the windows key + X and click on Command Prompt (admin)
A black window will open.
Type in it
sfc /scannow
press enter and when it has completed, type in
chkdsk /r
Press enter.
It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.
chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.
Please note, while this normally only takes 10 minutes to run, it can take at times number of hours if windows encounters many issues. If this is occurring it is critical to let this complete as it means you have corruption on the hard drive that it needs to fix. Even if it looks like the scan is not progressing, it is, please just let it run to completion. Windows will then start when it has.
Then tell me if it functions.
I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.
Else Let me know the results please
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Can you go to www.teamviewer.com
Click on Download for Free
Download and install the program and give me the ID and Password ***** please so I can connect
Do not close the program but leave it open else I will not be able to connect
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hello Richard,
followed the instructions for 'start menu not working'. problem not fixed. could not manage remote connection. further help please.no error messages following scan or check disc.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
where did you get stuck getting Teamviewer installed and ran so I could connect?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
my fault, I didn't run the programme. remote password ***** 322 764 9199
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
connecting
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
scan and repair got stuck at 11%, had to remove battery to get back on line .Is there a contact phone nuber you can give me?
remote 198(###) ###-####
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
No it does not get stuck you have to let it complete as we discussed...Ill set it again but please let it finish, if it takes some time it means there are issues its fixing.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
scan and repair completed, no change.###-##-####7921
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
###-##-####5503
scan and repair completed. regret no change. Help please.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
connecting
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, do this please
Restart the computer and on the sign in screen do not sign in
Hold the Shift key down while you press the Power icon and select Restart and hold shift until you are within the Windows Recovery Environment, select Troubleshoot, then Advanced options, then Startup Settings, and Restart.
When it restarts, you should see a number of options. Press 5 or F5 for Safe Mode with networking.
Once you sign into your account in Safe Mode, you’re done. Just restart your PC to return to a normal boot.
Then tell me if it then works please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
message said " need a new app from Microsoft" when I restarted in safe mode E mail would not work, had to reverse last instructions as couldn't contact you!.
1983227649941
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
thats ok, you just needed to do the instructions exactly as I listed.
Can you do it again exactly as I listed, as you choose Safe mode not Sade Mode with Networking and its that you need to choose.
If it then says you need a new app, follow the instructions it gives to do this and then restart and tell me if the menu now works please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried it all again, (4 not5) no connection at all, message says cannot run in safe mode. Cannot get onto App as does not work.
Tried when running in safe mode Troubleshooter, no connections. Going around in a circle.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, your going to have to do a reinstallation of windows, its the only option left for this as we have exhausted all repair options
First, backup all your data off the computer as this will remove all data (programs you will need to install again).
Then Restart the computer and on the sign in screen do not sign in
Hold the Shift key down while you press the Power icon and select Restart and hold shift until you are within the Windows Recovery Environment
Choose Troubleshoot, then Reset my PC
Let this complete, setup the computer again and it should then work correctly.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, this is going to take me some time.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
no problem, just let me know here how you go please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Richard, slowly getting things together again. Windows10 is now fully loaded. Knocked out my e mail at***@******.***. The windows 10 App won't allow me to use Outlook. I have not started putting all my software and files back yet. Are you able to help with this problem please?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
the problem of using outlook with the windows app?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes, it won't sync with***@******.***. in case you want remote access 1983227644293
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
whats the error message it gives when it fails to sync
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Your computer has disconnected me, but the issue is with the email account and how it is working.
For this I need to ask you please to make a new question for this new issue, which you can do so via my link below
http://www.justanswer.co.uk/profile.aspx?PF=32989067&FID=12299
I can then see what the issue is with the email account.