Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I have a Humax Foxsat HDR five years old which has always worked

I have a Humax Foxsat HDR five years old which has always worked perfectly. I recently tried to do a manual tune but must have done something wrong and completely upset the channel list. To get out of the situation I am trying to do a Factory Reset but find myself in the First Installation program and can't finish it or get out if it. How do I get from there to MENU please?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hi there and welcome
The first installation means it has been reset and is as new, until you complete this you cannot proceed.
But what happens when you try to complete the process? What stops you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have found it impossible to type in the information as required. For instance I can't get a space on my post code, whichever form I try to use. Do I have to complete this before I do a factory reset?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No, just enter anything to get past the screen and tell me if you can get past it please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing I do will get me out of the screen. In the bottom window it says WIZARD
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, remove the power to it by disconnecting it from the wall power socket and wait 10 minutes.
Then connect the power, turn it on and tell me if it now proceeds and can be setup please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've already done this as it's been off over night and when I switch on it's always the same screen
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** confirms the problem
It is the internal memory that has faulted.
A corrupted firmware can cause this. But we have ruled this out by trying to hard restart it.
I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the unit to have the mainboard replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.
I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the information. As the unit is 5 years old perhaps I would be best advised to get a new one as I also want to incorporate reception of German TV stations at some time. Can you give me any idea how much a new mainboard would cost to be fitted?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Ok, the age of it I would avoid this as your looking at about 150 with parts and labor though it would take some time for a repair center to source a part due to its age.
I would advice on the extra cost to purchase a new one as a repair would only give you a limited warranty.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your advice. Can I take it that the £13 charge is the total I have to pay? If so, thank you again for your help.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
I cannot see any payment details here, but it is only the initial payment you made, so what it told you, nothing further then that.
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.
Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry