Cpolarek
Cpolarek, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  10 YR IT Manager
30863715

I have several Windows machines, running various versions of

I have several Windows machines, running various versions of the Operating System.
I write software for these, and because there need to be slight differences in my programs that depend on the OS version, the programs need to be able to interrogate the system.
It uses a routine that does this interrogation, and this returns three integers called: Major, Minor and Platform ID.
The results are as follows:
Windows XP 5,1,2; Vista 6, 0, 2; Windows 7 6,12; Windows 8 6,2,2; Windows 10 6,2,2.
In other words the results are the same for Windows 8 and Windows 10.
Have Microsoft got it wrong?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Cpolarek replied 1 year ago.
Hello there - My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you with your question. I believe the flaw you're seeing is the windows 10 pretending to be windows 8 for installation compatibility. Here is a link: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms724833(v=vs.85).aspx The comments show how to run code to see the correct major which should be 10. Let me know if that makes sense.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It makes sense. I forgot to mention that I am one of the weird folk who uses Fortran95 as my preferred language.
The auxiliary package that I use is Clearwin+, that is part of the Salford packake (now sold by a firm called Siverfrost).
The workaround that I shall have to use is to use C or C++ to generate object code, which can be combined with object code generated by Fortran.The real problem is Microsoft. It is the failure of that firm to organise their products in any logical way.
Thanks for the help. In the circumstances it counts as a success.Peter Bladon
Expert:  Cpolarek replied 1 year ago.
Glad it was a help, f you could please rate me. This will give me credit for helping you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay in replying.
I am willing to rate you high.
Your answers were helpful.
I have looked at the various documents that Microsoft have published.
One of these implied that the program should be "manifested" before the GET_WOW_VER would be available.
I do not understand what "Manifested" means in this connection.
If it means that I must submit the program to MS before they approve it, that really makes no sense.
If the program does not work properly then MS withhold their approval.
The program will not work until I get MS's approval.
So I in loop with no exit.If you have direct to Microsoft perhaps you could inform the firm of my predicament.
/