Mike the Mac Medic
Mike the Mac Medic, Consultant
Experience:  Over 20 years experience with Apple/Windows desktop publishing, design, troubleshooting
25267123

I need a recommendation which could manage

I need a recommendation for software which could manage automatic backing up of selected folders on my Win7 laptop onto Google Drive (1Tb cloud storage).

I've looked at Duplicati (but not convinced about ongoing support) and Cloudberry (but it's not obvious whether backup is possible without encryption.

Insync's a possibility, but I don't fully understand the jargon on their product description.

I'd prefer not to use encryption, so files could be viewed easily on Google Drive when I access from other computers.

Any ideas?

Category: Computer
Expert:  Mike the Mac Medic replied 1 year ago.
Google Drive does that already I don' understand the problem?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your reply.

I can't see any feature with Google Drive which permits me to set up automatic backup of my PCs.

Manual backup, sure - but that's tedious and time-consuming.

The two programs I have mentioned allow scheduled automatic backups, not something I can see with Google Drive.

Have I missed something with Google Drive's capability?

Yes you have I can show you by remote if you wish. That is exactly what it does...
Yes you have I can show you by remote if you wish. That is exactly what it does... you have to save the files you want to be backed up to the Google Drive folders of course
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I think this is probably a misunderstanding between what is meant by automatic backup and manual backups.

I don't want to spend time each day saving 45 folders to my Google Drive folder.

I'm looking for software which does it for me, automatically, without encryption.

If that doesn't make sense, then perhaps a quick look at the Duplicati and Cloudberry websites would help?

And, if I've got my terminology wrong, let me know.

No sorry I don't understand you can make any folder the Google Drive folder and it is backed up automatically not manually there is no way to even do it manually. You have to create files and save them somewhere.... what exactly are you trying to backup?
It is a matter of how you organize your files, Dropbox, Google Drive, One Drive, etc.... all these solutions just require that you organize your files and save them inside the specified folder that is backed up... you have to save files somewhere you just change "WHERE" you save them so they are automatically backed up ..... put all your folders and files that you want to backup inside the Google Drive folder.... understood?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So I understand that if, on my C Drive, I have folders:

Google Drive

Folder 1

Folder 2

Folder 3 etc.

that there's no way of an automatic backup of Folder 1, 2, 3 etc. using Google Drive unless Folder 1, Folder 2, Folder 3 etc. are actually situated in Google Drive?

Duplicati etc. (see above) are used to automatically backup files/folders which are not in the Google Drive folder already, which is what I was looking for. I am currently trialing Goodsync.

There is, of course, a manual method of backing up files from within Google Drive itself, by pointing Uploads to specific files/folders on my PCs.

Yes so you can "choose" a specific folder instead of just "moving" that folder to Google Drive folder if that is worth a lot of extra cost to you then yes you can do that I guess... sorry for the confusion
You seen to have a problem with moving the location of your filers so if that is a big problem then yes choose a different solution but it is just a matter of how you organize your files
You are calling it "uploads "pointing" etc,,,, it is all the same to me just look at is as a backup
Mike the Mac Medic, Consultant
Experience: Over 20 years experience with Apple/Windows desktop publishing, design, troubleshooting