Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I have a Packard bell store and save which has stopped working.

Customer Question

I have a Packard bell store and save which has stopped working. The power light is red instead of green and there is just a clicking noise when I switch on. It is not registered as a drive on my computer
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
It appears the drive has crashed as the clicking it the drive motor trying to get the plate to spin and failing.
We may be able to get it running again for a short time in order for you to get the data from it but if it does run again, copy the data off it asap.
To do this, put it in the freezer for 15 minutes. This will contract the metal so it may be able to engage again.
Once done, take it out and straight away try to get it to run on the computer.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried putting it in the freezer but the result was the same. No difference.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
It is the internal disk that has faulted. Its suffered a complete failure
I am sorry but you are going to have to return the drive to have it replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.
Its not cheap but if you want the data recovered, you can send it into this company
https://www.mjm.co.uk/hard-disks/hard-disk-drive-recovery-quotation.html
That link allows you to first get a quote on the cost. They then dismantle it and manual scan the plates with specialised equipment to see what data can be retrieved. It will not get the drive working again but will get you the data on it.
If you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.