Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

Richard a /urther qusrion - my sony vaio lsptop's,. which

Customer Question

hi richard a /urther qusrion - my sony vaio lsptop's,. which im on now, keyboaed,has topped workinh and im havkng ie use the on screen keyboard which is a pain its been like this for a few months - i upgradeed to windows 10 a whilee ago and initially the
keyboardd worked again but then reverted - have updated a couple of drivers but stiill notthing, help!
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Can you press the windows key + R and type in
msconfig
Press enter
Click on the Services Tab and click "Hide All Microsoft Services"
Then click Disable All
Click ok, restart and let me know if you still have the issue please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes - I still have the problem - I also cannot get on the Internet as I appear to have disabled a whole bunch of things / I'm now on my iPad !
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, we need to then enable it all again so do this to get back onto internet
msconfig
Press enter
Then click ENABLE All
Then restart and its back to how it was
Let me know when it is please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok -we're back in business - using onscreen keyboard
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Now do the following please
use the windows key + X and click on command prompt (admin)
A black window will open.
Type in it
sfc /scannow
press enter and when it has completed, type in
chkdsk /r
Press enter.
It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.
chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.
Please note, while this normally only takes 10 minutes to run, it can take at times number of hours if windows encounters many issues. If this is occurring it is critical to let this complete as it means you have corruption on the hard drive that it needs to fix. Even if it looks like the scan is not progressing, it is, please just let it run to completion. Windows will then start when it has.
Then tell me if the keyboard functions please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok - it's working away now
I'll let you know as son as i hav anjomj
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Barack to my Samsung laptop - I've tried doing as you say a
Though the battery would have been totally flat so I don't know how long to
Leave it charging before I try your recommended action again - first time round the unit remained dead
Bg
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, wait 1 hour on charge and see please if it then starts
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
morning still the same
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
If you attach an external keyboard, does that work ok?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sadly not
bg
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, then it points to a software issue and your going to have to do a reinstall of windows
First, backup all your data off the laptop as this will remove your data (programs you have to install again).
Then power off the Laptop
Power it on and at the sign in screen, do not sign in but hold the SHIFT button down and with it held down, click on the power icon and click restart.
Keep shift held down until it has restarted and your at a menu.
From the menu choose Troubleshoot, then reset my PC
Choose Erase all files, let this complete and windows is installed again.
Once done, setup windows and tell me if the keyboard now functions please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thanks Richard - it'll take me somr time to do this, but i'll let you know as soon as i'm able
bg
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.