John
John, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  I have been in the IT field for the past 8 years. I also worked as a system admin for a construction company for 3 years.
50152684

I have forgotten my password ***** windows 10

Category: Computer
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is***** will be assisting you today. I am sorry to hear that you are having such trouble. I will try my best to help you .Sir did this password ***** started you upgraded to windows 10 ?Please let me know the make and model of the PC?Sincerely,JohnNote: - Please keep this conversation/Chat page opened to view my replies quickly. To reply back to me use the reply box below. You will also get email notification in your email too.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no, it started when I changed the password ***** days ago
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is a Lenovo flex model 2404
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the update.Is this a online account the one that uses email address as user name for login or are you using a offline local user account which has a simple user name like John,Anthony.Sincerely,John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when I open the comp.i just see my name änthony then underneath type the password
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
OK so the user name doesn't have @ in it.How did you change it 2 days ago also have you tried entering the password ***** and without caps lock also what is the message you get when you try the password?Sincerely,John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I changed from the user account.I have made sure that the caps lock is not on.The message is that password ***** ***** try again
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes I tried it with caps on- still the same
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
In that case only 2 options available1.Use password ***** tools.This process usually doesn't works also haven' tried it on windows 10 system either 2.You need to reset the windows which will erase the files in the PC and re-installs windows.Do you want to do this windows reset process?Sincerely,John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
probably better to try option 2 then john if option 1 doesn't usually work.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Good Are you in the windows 10 login screen now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Good now click on the power icon lower right corner of the screen.Please check the image to locate the power iconThen press and hold SHIFT key and click on restart while holding the SHIFT key.see if that open a options page which has troubleshoot,Continue and Turn off the PC are available.Let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes those 3 options are there
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Good Click on Troubleshoot option then in the next screen select Reset the PC.Let me know once you have done that much.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
done that,2 options 1 keep my files 2 remove everything
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
We can only use the option 2 (Remove everything) because that will only remove the password ***** user settings which will allow you to regain access to the PC.This will be just like a new windows 10 installation.If you are OK to continue with Remove everything then select option to and continue with that process.Let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok I have 2 more options now,message your pc has more than 1 drive do you want to remove all files from all drives option 1 only the drive where windows is installed? option 2 all drives?
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Before that is there any USB external hard drives connected to the PC now ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the windows 10 was an upgrade from windows 8.1
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Its OK select the option Only the drive where windows is installed because that is where the windows 10 user files and its settings are stored.Select that continue.Let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2 more option now 1. just remove my files 2. fully clean the drive
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Select the option Just remove my files and continue.I believe that will start the process.Let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok process started
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this is going to take a long time
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
It will take sometime usually 20 to 30 minutes. let it continue make sure the power adapter is connected and ON.I will be here until the process is done so let me know if you have any questions also post me the progress of the re-installation.Sincerely,John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok John
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it seems to stuck on 66%
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Wait for couple of minutes and it will continue.Let me know
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Any change from 66%?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no.the dots are still going round but it's still on 66%
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Sometimes it happens for couple of minutes and then jumps to 70,75 %.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok we wait
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Good we will wait.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
started moving again now 70%
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Good to know.Keep me posted i will be here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
90%
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Good,Thank you for the update.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
100% now it says it's checking and repairing the drive
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
now it says its installing windows.your pc will restart several times
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
now its stuck on 10%
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
No need to worry it will be like before sometimes stuck then it will install and configure apps and then you will get user account page where you get the option to go for online account or offline account i believe you know those because you had done that at the time of windows 10 upgradation.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Even if it shows stuck it is installing application or configuring on the background.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok it moves to 28%. I'll be happy when everything is working again.My wife wants her computer back.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
It will work normal once the installation is done also i will be here until the process is complete and have access to desktop screen.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it all looks to be ok I have configured language,date and internet connection.Its now getting critical updates.That may take some time I think
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Good.Did you get the user account and password ***** options?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not yet
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
OK let me know if you need any help also once you are in the desktop screen let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have the user account options email or phone a box with password ***** that- forgot password ***** that- no account? start on or skip this step
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Do you want to create a online account or create a offline account like before?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know! which is best?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I must have a Microsoft account but I can't remember the details
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
If you are not planning to get apps and all from Microsoft store then i suggest you go with the offline account.If you do not remember any of Microsoft account details then it will be better go for a offline account.If you want offline account click on create a new account option then in the next page click on sign in without Microsoft account.Let me know what options does it shows after that
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It asks for my name and then create a password ***** now its setting up the apps
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Good, that is your windows login password ***** write down the password ***** if you loose it again then we need to go through the entire process again.Once you are in desktop after that restart and see if you can get back to windows using the password ***** just created.Let me knowSincerely,John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
now I have the windows 10 log on screen but with no name and and place for a password
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
There should be a name for the user account.Enter the password ***** just created and login.Let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
only when I click start do I see my name at the top.There I see change account settings, lock, and sign out
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
maybe if I sign out I will see it so that I can sign in again
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Not sure why it didn't show user name in the login page but you have logged into windows 10 am i correct if so restart the PC once again and login again and let me know everything is working normalSincerely,John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I restarted the the machine and I got the logon screen entered the password ***** it looks like everything is ok.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Good to know.Is there anything else you like to know,If so let me know.If you do not have any further questions please rate positively using the options just below this reply box or above this page select the rating and click on submit. If you need any help in the future please use this link to ask for me http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-john/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Only a big thank you John.Is it possible to get photos that were lost in this reinstall back from one drive where I think they were automatically stored or is everything lost.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.The pictures stored using onedrive are stored online so you can access it using this link onedrive.com When you enter the onedrive user id and password ***** will be able to regain access to files stored in it.Sincerely,John