IT Miro
IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

I have borrow a laptop from my local arts group to do some

I have borrow a laptop from my local arts group to do some work for them.
It now has Windows10 (recent upgrade from Windows8)
Off-line working is OK using MS Office etc.
The Mail client seems to work.
All other on-line activity is subject to perpetual hi-jacking to the extent that i can get nothing done involving any website. I have tried several browsers.
The wi-fi hub works OK with my own Apple machine,
Start-up files ?? Registry Corruption ??
Any advice welcome.
GR Braithwaite
roger.braithwaite @ntlworld.com
Category: Computer
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Hello! My name is***** describe what happens when you start any of the installed web browser. Are you taken to some bogus web site?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please use***@******.***.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
You can type your reply here, on the JustAnswer web page. E-mails are only used to notify of my reply. So, please describe what happens when you start any of the installed web browser. Are you taken to some bogus web site? Thanks,IT Miro
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The faulty PC will not allow me to send messages via your website due to repeated hijacking.
Please us the address***@******.*** which comes to this Apple machine which works OK.
On the faulty PC :
On entering the URL for a website, the first page comes up OK but is soon hijacked by other sites making further use impossible. As an example , your first message arrived OK but I could not respond.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the information! In order to stop the hijacking, I suggest running a free program called AdwCleaner. It is used to scan and remove all browser toolbars and other modified settings. It will also remove all programs that keep changing the browser settings without your permission.AdwCleaner can be downloaded on this link:http://tinyurl.com/LK49358 Download it on your Apple computer in case you are unable to do that on the Windows computer, and then transfer it to the Windows computer using a USB flash or hard disk drive. To use it, exit all running programs on the Windows computer, especially web browsers and then start AdwCleaner.Click on the Scan button to start scanning for infected files. Wait until the scan has finished – it might take a few minutes. Once done, you will see the results. You can then click on the Cleaning button to remove all found infections.This program is safe to use because it only scans for programs and components included on its list so it won't remove any personal data.Once that is done, it will require you to restart the computer, so do it. After the restart, all browser modified settings should be gone. You can then check if web browsers work. Let me know if AdwCleaner helped. Regards,IT Miro
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have run AdwCleaner as you suggested.
The problem still exists. A website will load but navigation within it is impossible due to interruptions.
I cannot reply to you you using the infected machine as this appears to involve the use of your website.
I am therefore using a separate Apple machine to correspond with you.
On the affected machine, off-line operations are ~ OK and the mail client works so I am able to read your replies.
GRB.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Hello! Please temporary disable all non-Microsoft startup services and programs, and then check if that makes any changes to the way the computer behaves while being on-line and opening the web pages. Here is what to do: 1. Type msconfig in the Windows search box located in the bottom left corner and then click on the System Configuration icon that will appear at the top of the search results 2. Click on the Services tab and check the "Hide all Microsoft services" check-box 3. Click on the Disable All button and then click Apply 4. Now click on the Startup tab and click on Open Task Manager 5. The Startup tab of the Task Manager will open. It will display all startup programs. Check them all and disable the ones you don't recognize or don't want to automatically start with Windows. To disable a program, click its name and then click on the Disable button located in the bottom right corner 6. After that, restart the computer and check if there are any changes. Let me know the results.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have followed your instructions.
I have deleted unrecognised items from the startup list and have also removed a high impact item involving DROPBOX.
There has now been a marked improvement and the ***** ***** and Amazon websites now seem to work OK.There are still problems with your website and messages back to you are being interrupted by hijackers - including a dire warning that my whole computer was at risk ! .
Our Society website www.Customer.org.uk has worked properly for the first time this morning
I will experiment further and report back to you later. Could there be a problem with the McAfee Firewall ?
GRB.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Hello! I am glad to see there have been some improvements! I don't think there is a problem with McAfee Firewall. Most likely, only web browsers are still infected, although AdwCleaner should have taken care of that. Please run AdwCleaner again and then clean all the items detected, and restart the computer. After the restart, test opening the web pages with all the installed web browsers: Edge, Internet Explorer, Firefox, etc Let me know if the hijacking is present for all of them, or only for a specific web browser. Thanks,IT Miro
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have used Edge, IE and Firefox on the PC to access three different types of website (Shopping, Route `Planning and s Society)
The Edge Browser in Window10 now seems to work OK with no interference.
I have had some difficulty wit IE but this appears to be linked to the disablement of cookies. Allowing cookies for Amazon cleared the way.
Mozilla Firefox is still affected by hijacking.
I can receive your messages on the PC but the reply mechanism via your website still causes problems - hence i am using my Apple.
However, I now have an acceptable service on my Society's PC using EDGE
GRB
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the update! In order to get Mozilla Firefox operational again, you can refresh the current profile (reset it to default). Here are the instructions: 1.Start Mozilla Firefox2. Click on the Help menu located at the top and then click on Troubleshooting InformationIf you don't see the menu bar to click Help, press the Alt key to reveal it3. When a new tab opens, click the Reset Firefox... button located on the right side4. Confirm the reset by clicking the Reset Firefox button5. Wait for a few seconds and then Mozilla Firefox will re-startLet me know if that removed the hijacking.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All systems now working OK
Thank you very much for your assistance and advice all of which was accurate, relevant and quickly provided.
Many on-line help facilities give unclear instructions - not so in your case,
G.Roger BraithwaiteI will certainly recommend your firm to my colleagues
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Hello again! I am very glad I could help! If there is anything else I can help you with, let me know. I will gladly assist you again! To request me directly, you can use this link:http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-it-miro Regards,IT Miro