Russell H.
Russell H., Computer System Tech
Experience:  11 years experience
13568747

There I am not computer literate at all, so easy steps

Hi there
I am not computer literate at all, so easy steps please, when I put my memory card from my camera in to computers photo gallery and press import, I usually get a box to tick, asking me do I wish to erase after importing, this seems to have disappeared, now my camera is saying sim card full, any ideas how to get that box back again , or any other remedy
Category: Computer
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. Strictly speaking the camera shouldn't say 'sim card' full, but 'memory card' full. (A SIM card is an I.D. or serial-number-identifier card, in a cell phone.) If the camera or the software used for downloading from it, does not indicate that you might delete from the camera or its memory card, after importing or uploading pictures to the computer.... then you may either be using a different means or mode of uploading pictures from the camera, or you may be uploading from the memory card in a memory card reader, rather than from the memory card in the camera.Or you may have a different revision of software used for uploading of pictures. I would advise trying different means - memory card in camera, memory card out of camera and in card reader, and different software, and camera switched Off when first connecting it to the computer vs. camera switched On at the time, etc. Observe what is offered in each case, find that checkbox again... and don't delete anything you would hate to lose, and don't actually upload pictures or you'll clutter up your computer. (And good things are sometimes lost in the clutter which is why it's well to avoid it.) Or, let me know what software you *always* use for uploading. I may have specific advice for that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

As I said not computer literate at all, probably is saying memory card full, what I was asking was, for years when I took the card in my camera and inserted it into my computer, clicked on photo gallery, then clicked import,

while importing a message came up saying do you want to erase after importing I ticked the box and that was it, now that message does not come up, can I get that back

Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Simple answer: maybe not, probably not.Complex answer: you'd have to find out whether your current version of Photo Gallery was recently updated. And then see if an older version is available, and whether your Photo Gallery is set to update. And let me know what maker your Photo Gallery is - Kodak? Canon? some other brand? if you don't mind.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

my photo gallery is on windows essentials, do I take windows essentials out of my computer, and download again, is there no simple answer as to how this erase after importing option has suddenly disappeared,

Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
You can click on that checkbox, but you can also start Photo Gallery's 'Import Pictures' function this way:Start - All Programs - Windows Photo GalleryThen in Photo Gallery, click onFilethen click onOptions.Then click the Import tab, then click onAlways erase from camera after importingand click on OK. That should permanently enable that options.On the other hand, if you have updated Windows - for instance, if you have updated to Windows 10 recently before the problem started - then Windows Photo Gallery has been updated, to past the above settings pattern and facility. And may have simply lost the option(s), as I said before.