Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

My printer (HP Officejet 5740) will not print. The printer

Customer Question

My printer (HP Officejet 5740) will not print. The printer screen indicates "incorrect paper. Copy does not support A6. Load a supported size of paper in the main tray to continue. Touch ? to view the supported paper sizes (letter, Legal Executive)".
I have A4 paper in the main tray but cannot print.
My HP Desk Top (G5232uk) receives emails, documents, photos etc successfully indicating that important connections are working. I have noticed that the wps 'button' is not lit up.
Can you resolve the problem.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
As the first step, can you please remove the power to the printer by unplugging it from the power socket, then wait 10 minutes.
Then connect the power, turn on the printer and tell me if you can then print please.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I have carried out your instructions. The problem still remains re A6 paper size.
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.
Can you click start, devices and printers.
Right click your printer and click printer preferences.
There you will see the Paper Size, set it there to A4, then click ok then try to print
I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.
Else Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
It refuses to print. I have been down this route without success.
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.
ok, but where you able to set it to A4? What was it set to?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
It was already set to A4.
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.
Do you have another computer there to do a test print from?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
No.
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.
From which program are you printing from?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Sky
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.
so your web browser you mean?
Which web browser? Internet Explorer?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Google
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.
ok, open another program such as Microsoft Word or Notepad and try to print from this.
Tell me what then happens please
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I have Microsoft Word 7 but I will do as I am told
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** know the results please
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Still not printing.
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.
ok, disconnect the printer from the computer
Then go to Start, Devices and printers.
Right click on the printer and select Remove Device to uninstall the printer
Restart the computer then install the printer again like you did when you first received it and tell me if it then prints please.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I am sorry but it still does not print
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.
No problem, please do the following
Press the Power button to turn on the printer, if it is not already on.
With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
Wait at least 15 seconds, and then plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
If the printer does not turn on by itself, press the Power button to turn it on.
Try to make a color copy and tell me if it can do this please.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Sorry for being so long - I have to write down you instructions because I can't print.
Having carried out you instruction, the printer turned itself on but still hasn't resolved the problem.
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.
Thanks and its no problem
ok, on the printer, Touch (Settings) and check the paper size there.
Is it set to A4?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Richard, are we still connected?
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.
yes we are, I am waiting on the results from you on my last instructions
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I sent the following message at 01.23 - Sorry for being so long, I have to write down your instructions because I can't print. Having carried out your instruction, the printer turned itself on butt still hasn't resolved the problem.
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.
Correct and I replied to this, I think you missed it, no problem, I'll repeat it again below.
on the printer, Touch (Settings) and check the paper size there.
Is it set to A4?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Under the heading 'Web Services Settings', Print info page it run off a print titled "Get started with HP Connected and HP ePrint". In addition it referred to 'HP ePrint ON' and 'HP Printables ON'. I did not see a choice of paper size.
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.
ok, then this is not causing it.
It is the mainboard that has faulted. Its the chipset on this. We have ruled out all other causes for this
I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the printer to have this replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.
I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.
your welcome
If you need anything else please let me know and please remember the service rating via one of the smiley faces then submit.