Pete
Pete, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience in the Electronics and IT industries.
30970729

In error I clicked on an option to install Advanced Mac Cleaner,

Customer Question

In error I clicked on an option to install Advanced Mac Cleaner, which, as you might imagine, took over my MacBook Pro. I managed to delete everything from my system apart from a residual problem with Safari. I keep seeing pop-ups appear, generally in the form of new pages. How can I reset Safari back to its original state?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,
You will have to reset Safari. Normally, this can be done by launching Safari, going to the menu bar, and then clicking Safari > Reset Safari. However, most pop-up problems like this will block access to many of the drop-down menus in the Safari menu bar...
You will need to locate the file specified below on the computer and move it to the trash. Make sure you quit Safari first (force quit if necessary).
To start, open Finder. Then press Command ⌘ + Shift + G, or in the menu bar, select Go > Go to Folder. Type the following file path:
~/Library/Preferences
Look for a file named com.apple.Safari.plist, and drag it to the trash. Then restart your Mac. After it reboots, try launching Safari. A new preferences file should have been automatically created, so no more action is required on your part, and the pop-up should now be gone.
Another file you can try removing if the problem is still not resolved is com.apple.Safari.savedState, which can be found in:
~/Library/Saved Application State
If removing the above files still didn't solve your problem, one last file to try removing is named LastSession.plist. It is found in:
~/Library/Safari
Let me know if that works for you..